Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ton of lead Balls the right size for a 44 Special ? I am thinking of loading them in the 44 Special brass for target loads . Anyone do this before 250 gr. lead balls with Unquie

·
Registered
685 Posts
Never loaded them in a 44 special, but there is no reason that you can not.

Gallery loads. I have loaded them in 38 Special, 45 Colt and 45-70 Government. Lee molds. The 45-70 with a 457 ball and a few grains (I actually use Lee Dippers) of Unique is about like shooting a 22 rim fire! I shoot those full diameter. The .360 and .454 I use in the 38 special and 45 Colt get run through the appropriate sizer. .358 and .452 respectively. Lots of fun!

·
Registered
575 Posts
The only mold I had for quite a while was for round balls. I've done them in .44 mag cases. It will work. You get varying accuracy depending on the diameter of the ball compared to your bore diameter. With such a small contact surface there is not a lot there to work with.

The old Lee manual has a variety of reduced loads for ball in different calibers. If they are too loose, blow by can cause leading. I only ran mine at about 600 - 700 fps. I played around with Unique and Bullseye. Then switched to Trail Boss when it came out. It fills the case better.

At 25 ft you can do a lot of damage to a line of soda cans. They are fun.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Did it in magnum cases for my SBH a few decades ago. Used fast burning shotgun powders & dacron filler between the powder & ball. Heavy crimp to keep the balls from backing outta the cases.

Too lazy to cast bullets now. But I have been thinking about it since the price of JHPs has more than doubled in the last few years.

·
Registered
685 Posts
What is the diameter of these lead balls? Should be .429 or so!
Hornady makes a .433 if you are going with bought balls. I would run jbl then through a .430 or a .431 size. That would give you a flat to make loading a tad easier, gives a bit more bearing surface. If you want to cast your own, Lee makes a .433 round ball mold as well

·
Registered
66 Posts
Loaded some round ball in .44mag cases.

Trail Boss would be a good load.

I, also, loaded some with Pyrodex pistol. Lots of fun, but dirty.

Light loads leave a lot of unfilled case. I filled the space with cornmeal. More consistent shots, but you will smell cornbread cooking. Trail Boss fills the case, I use it exclusively, for light loads, now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts