Loading benches

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by buster40c, Apr 12, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I thought it would be interesting to see pics of members loading tables. I am about to build my bench and I figure I have enough wood laying around to make the initial bench.
    I can add onto it later as I see how to improve on its use.
    Where do you keep your powders?
    Is it best to mount the press on the front center of table so have room on both sides for other needs? What height is ideal for the table?

2. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

I don't have pics right now but as for the press, I took some advice from another forum. I used a piece of a 2x4 and drilled the bolt holes in it, then I used a forstner bit and bored into the wood around the bolt holes just enough to place the nuts on the bolts below the woods surface. Then I got two cheap 4" c-clamps, and when I'm reloading I can clamp the press to my table any place I want. I can also move it any time I need to. Incidentally, my table/bench is my moms old kitchen table. We bought her a better one and I "hauled off" her old one. Bought some closet organizer shelf units and put the left over shelves on the wall behind my bench. Worked out great! I'll get some pics to upload as soon as possible.

3. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

4x4 legs, 2 sheets of 5/8 birch ply, screwed and glued. Keep my powders in 3 well separated wooden crates, built to spec.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My bench is only 42" long. The press is mounted near the right end (I am right handed), the powder thrower is clamped at the left end. My workspace is between them.

If you load large cases, the press should be close to a leg, for added support when sizing.

5. buster40c

I have some oak step boards that I got for free, enough extra 3X4 landscaping timbers, a 1/2"x 4' x 8' sheet of plywood for the sides and bottom shelf, and I also have a 2'x4'x3/4" piece of plywood that I will use on top of the oak steps for a smooth surface. I am figuring on making it about 32"H X 2' W X 4' L. Then put some 6" deep wood shelves on the back against the wall. Maybe put two left over drawers in it also. It pays to hoard some things instead of throwing them away. I will build this bench for almost nothing out of pocket thanks to stuff I had laying around.

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I ran across an old design drafters bench and paid $20.00 for it. I have my Herter's single stage clamped down on the left side with BIG C clamps and my Dillon reloader is screwed into the bench on the right side. Above my bench I have a plastic cabinet that holds all my small reloading tools, etc. My bench also has a drawer that I keep my primers in and way far away from any powder. My shell vibrator is also located to the back of my bench as it is 4 1/2' deep and I keep my tumbler on another shelf. I use all old Folgers coffee cans (plastic w/lids) for dirty and clean brass and brass that needs to be sorted and they are marked. There is nothing fancy about my bench but it serves the purpose. Problem is my bench is in my garage so loading in the summer time is definitely out of the question. I try to load a years worth of shooting in the spring and fall.

Tommy

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ok, here is the last pics I got of my hideout.
    Its messy , functional.
    I load 38 spcl, .357 mag, 9mm, 30 carbine, 44 spcl, 44 mag, .45 acp, 45-70 gov, 460 s&w mag, .223 .

I think there are a few more, cant remember all

lb2.jpg

lb3.jpg

Jim

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,

I just wish that I could say that my loading bench is that organized. I've got crap all over the place. I have stuff that hasn't been used in years and have been meaning to sell it but never got around to it. You should be proud of your "mess".

Tommy

9. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Nice setup! Yeah, Tommy, my bench has so much random stuff all over it..........I keep telling myself I'm gonna clean it but..........Well, you know how those things are......

10. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

Mine is pretty organized, I guess I'm a little OCD. OK, a lot OCD :eek:. It helps having the shelves on the wall, that's where I keep all of my supplies. The only things on my table are my bullets, my dies and my toolbox.

11. buster40c

Well I built my bench and it's a good thing I used screws instead of nails. I can measure 3 times and still have to cut twice. What I thought would be a good height looked totally wrong. Unscrewed the legs and cut off about 2.5 inches. I said about because I measured three times and it still was about 1/8" to high. Well it should sink that much into the carpet so it should be okay.
    Now I need figure how to mount the press. I would think they could have left a little more clearance for mounting bolts and keeping clearance for the press shaft movement.

12. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Mount your press.....then mount it again.

Then take it off and mount it again, after 3 times it may be strong/sturdy enough .

Never to sturdy.;):)

Still wish I had used a 4x6 to mount mine.
    I hate it when it gives with force of sizing big bore brass, or pressing big bullets,..... feels spongy.:(

Jim

13. buster40c

I am thinking about using metal plates for mounting the press just to make it more sturdy for the long run.

14. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Made mine out of an old computer desk. Need more space, but this is much bigger than where I was at. I load 25acp, 380acp, 9mm Luger, 38 Special, 45acp, 45 auto rim, and 45 Colt handgun. 223 Remington, 280 Remington, 300 blk, 7.62x39, 30wcf, 7.62x54R, and 45-70 Gov't in rifle. 410, 20, and 12 gauge shotgun. My presses are the Lee Reloader press, Lee Classic Cast turret, Lee Load All 2, MEC 600, and the Lee hand press. A lot of my loading is done on the Lee Classic Loaders.

Attached Files:

15. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

^ ^ ^ Nice pics. I'm a might surprised the bench-top is rugged enough for those rifle cases.