Loading .357 birdshot.....

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by SavageGuy, Feb 25, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hello everyone!
    I recently tried something new- handloading .357 birdshot. I pulled apart a #8 (lead) 12 gauge shotshell to get the bbs. I used 6 grains or Hodgdon Universal. I had to make wads out of an old shotshell box by chamfering a .357 case and punching out the cardboard. I poured the powder, sealed it with a wad, then dropped in 90 grains of #8 bbs. Finished it off with another wad and a tight roll crimp. Tried them out the next day- wow! I was impressed! They shattered beer bottles into hundreds of pieces from 20' and gave me a pretty good pattern at 10' feet on paper. This is all out of a 2" barrel. There wasn't a whole lot of data for loading these but I did find one website that said 7grains of Universal for 90 grains of shot, so I down loaded that by a grain just to be safe. No signs of excessive pressure whatsoever. I load 158 grain HPs with the same amount if powder so I felt pretty safe with that load combination. They certainly are fun! And a lot cheaper than the ones CCI makes.......

Carl Crosby likes this.
  2. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Nicely done! CCI birdshot is expensive! I've never loaded birdshot before.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

You should try it! They're very fun to shoot, just take awhile to assemble.

4. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I've SHOT A LOT of birdshot over the years but never reloaded it. We went threw a lot of it when we had hogs. Rats were out of control so I spent a lot of time hunting. In the dark birdshot was the way to go

5. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

I use Speer plastic shot cups. They hold about 106 gr. of #9 shot, and I have heard that #12 shot is deadly, due to a denser pattern. I have some #9, 10, and 12 shot that I will be testing if our state-run range will allow me to set up a target at about 12-15 feet. Problem is, our legislature in their collective wisdom(?) has passed a law that it is illegal to shoot a Rattlesnake unless it is about to bite you! :cool: