Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I recently tried something new- handloading .357 birdshot. I pulled apart a #8 (lead) 12 gauge shotshell to get the bbs. I used 6 grains or Hodgdon Universal. I had to make wads out of an old shotshell box by chamfering a .357 case and punching out the cardboard. I poured the powder, sealed it with a wad, then dropped in 90 grains of #8 bbs. Finished it off with another wad and a tight roll crimp. Tried them out the next day- wow! I was impressed! They shattered beer bottles into hundreds of pieces from 20' and gave me a pretty good pattern at 10' feet on paper. This is all out of a 2" barrel. There wasn't a whole lot of data for loading these but I did find one website that said 7grains of Universal for 90 grains of shot, so I down loaded that by a grain just to be safe. No signs of excessive pressure whatsoever. I load 158 grain HPs with the same amount if powder so I felt pretty safe with that load combination. They certainly are fun! And a lot cheaper than the ones CCI makes.......

Reactions: Carl Crosby

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should try it! They're very fun to shoot, just take awhile to assemble.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I've SHOT A LOT of birdshot over the years but never reloaded it. We went threw a lot of it when we had hogs. Rats were out of control so I spent a lot of time hunting. In the dark birdshot was the way to go

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use Speer plastic shot cups. They hold about 106 gr. of #9 shot, and I have heard that #12 shot is deadly, due to a denser pattern. I have some #9, 10, and 12 shot that I will be testing if our state-run range will allow me to set up a target at about 12-15 feet. Problem is, our legislature in their collective wisdom(?) has passed a law that it is illegal to shoot a Rattlesnake unless it is about to bite you! :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts