Light primer strikes on savage rascal

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SavageGuy, Jul 9, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hey guys,
    I have a Savage rascal .22 for my 11 year old. About 1-2 rounds in 10, I'll get a light primer strike, resulting in a FTF. Which gets annoying. Especially when you're on a rabbit hunt. Soooo............any advice other than sending it back to savage? I have noticed that it happens less frequently when I run the gun dirty oddly enough............

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

What ammo are you using?

I get lots of FTF , only when I'm using Remington.

Jim

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yeah, I thought it was the ammo but I've tried every brand of ammo I've ever owned. And the same ammo I get FTF in the rascal with, will function just fine in my other .22s.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

:p I am willing to assume that the 'less frequently when dirty' is either coincidence or an inadequate sample. Um, have you eliminated the possibility that the FTFs are related to 'contamination' in the striking mechanism? I use 'striking mechanism' because I know nothing abot the Savage Rascal.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yeah, I don't know why it doesn't happen as much when dirty. I read on another forum that someone had the same problem and the only way it could get fixed was with a new bolt. I guess the firing pin was too short.

6. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

SavageGuy,

My brother had the exact same trouble with the Rascal that he got for his son. He bought it used.

The first thing that I did was detail strip and clean the bolt assembly.

It worked smoother, but did not help.

I then tried replacing the spring. That helped knock down the frequency of the light strikes.

Then I took a fine needle file and I filed the side of the firing pin tip very slightly to make the impact point just a little smaller.

He has not had a single light strike after that that was not suspected to be the fault of the ammo.

Hope that helps.

Doc

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^ makes sense.

If the firing pin is too big it wont penetrate deep enough to ignite the primer.

Rimfire takes a deeper solid hit .
    That's why rimfire revolvers have such heavy trigger pulls.:)

Jim