Lifetime Ban

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by paulruger, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I just got a lifetime ban from another Ruger forum. After nearly 3500 posts a couple of the mods (Iowegan, Buckmj decided I wasn't a good fit for the forum! Ever since the new Canadian owners took over the mods have been real jerks. I expect the same thing to happen to a S&W forum owned by the same outfit.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

We hate banning members here,

Its a last resort, and not because someone doesn't fit in,

Rules are setup for the betterment of the forum, and rules infractions are not tolerated very well .

I guess, I don't understand your point in telling us that you have been banned from a forum, and may be banned from another forum.

The mods here are strictly volunteers, we volunteer to help the forum , by monitoring it for problems , and rule infractions, and just participating.

As far as I know ,Im the only one that's a jerk here.;):)

Hope you enjoy Rugertalk.

Jim

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

If you find any moderators to be jerks here then you probably have way over stepped the line. Then again the moderators here on RT aren't jerks but rather people that follow the rules and implement them. I have yet to see a member banned without first being forewarned to get their act together and get along with other members.

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I got banned last year for a month and never went back. A bunch of no balled douche' bags over there. I bet they are all Clinton supporters.

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Having done the mod/admin thing i always found that little by little people woukd try pushing boundries and buttons. So long as ppl followed the rules things were great. Took a lot to get me to hit that ban button. Time outs worked more often than not but some came right back full of steam and testosterone thinking rules didnt apply to them - zap!

6. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

We are happy to have new members. Welcome!
    I also am not sure why you told us about the ban from another forum. Lol
    Read the rules. Follow them and everything will be fine here.
    As others have said! We warn our members when rules have been broken. We don't just Ban.
    We also don't make decisions alone. We discuss what's happened and come to a conclusion together. That way everything stays fair.

7. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

Relax! At the present time VerticalScope, Inc. does NOT own the Smith & Wesson forum. Lee Jarrett does; and he's not interested in selling. Besides, just like Google isn't truly a publicly held American corporation neither is VSI truly a publicly held Canadian corporation. It's 2016. Suggest you get used to it! ;)

As for the general quality of internet gun forum moderators? Do you own a gun? Can you afford to purchase a server and/or pay the monthly fees? Then, voilà, you're now a gun forum sysop, and all of your good buddies are gonna have first shot at being gun forum moderators!

Of the several intellectual choices available to each and every gun forum member you can: (1) Be popular and, 'go with the flow'. (2) Adulate the product the forum is associated with, and be extra careful to always parrot the official party line; or (3) you can exercise your presumed intellectual freedom-of-choice, speak your mind, be true to your ideals, and seek to genuinely enlighten and share information with other people.

This sort of open intellectual sharing is not too different from being a proselytizing Christian. ....... Such open and/or fair-minded values are only occasionally effective and can often be very annoying to others who prefer to hold their own divergent opinions about things. (Besides, as any good Muslim could tell you, proselytizing (all sorts of proselytizing) always seems to work best when you're either carrying a gun, or holding a large knife in your hands!) :D

Of these three choices it's always number three that will get you in the most trouble. You, also, need to remember that, 'Cyberspace is the ultimate form of degenerative common democracy - the ultimate form!' Everyone, and everything can be reduced to the status of a, 'least common denominator' in only a few minutes' time, and/or at the whim of the most vocal or the most belligerent members of the group. Wearing a social mask is not required. Hell, THINKING is not required; and, in cyberspace it's very difficult to hold anyone accountable for either their mistaken ideas, or bad manners.

In an age where formerly popular Judeo-Christian morality, virtually, no longer exists; and where being politically correct predominates and takes precedence over all other social values, it is ALWAYS a risk for any forum member to genuinely speak his mind. Remember: The (social) internet is the ultimate form of common democracy - A method of political government where everyone and every idea can (and ultimately will be) reduced to its most popularly agreed, 'least common denominator'.

Apparently you spoke your own mind; and right, wrong, or merely different that is sure to always make waves! It's also been my own experience that many people who espouse (What shall I say?) 'positively orientated' social and conceptual values tend NOT to be either popular or to have robust intellectual survivability in cyberspace. (Hey, they nailed Christ to a cross, and have been fighting over an agreed interpretation of the event ever since!) :rolleyes:

What does this tell me about my fellowman? Well, ....... it tells me that people-in-general have NOT really changed that much over the past 2,000 years! (Longer, actually, but no matter!) So, as I said, I'd suggest you get used to going, 'tête-à-tête' with one forum member, or another every now and then. (It's, 'How' things are done on Al Gore's internet! ;) )

I'll tell you something else: In the almost 15 years, and 30,000 posts that I've rung up on internet gun and survival forums, almost none of the best minds and/or the most well-informed experts (on anything) that I've occasionally been privileged to correspond with have continued to remain active in cyberspace. (Even FerFAL has slowed down with his open postings!) As a general rule, the sharper, the better, or the most well-informed, 'gun knowledge experts' have, almost to a man, withdrawn from the internet.

Especially on internet gun forums it's just the way that things go. So, 'Why' take it personally! :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

In my own experience it is arrogance, or at least perceived arrogance, that attracts the ire of other members. Nobody that I know enjoys being sneered at. Mods/admins are human, which means that some of them out there are bound to be dorks.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

As far as I know , I'm the only DORK here also...:)

Ive been on forums with no rules,

I didn't enjoy it and left ....total chaos,

Ive been on forums with rules ...but nobody to monitor and enforce those rules.

I didn't enjoy it and left.... total chaos.

I like all guns, this forum is a Ruger forum.

I am a member of Marlin, Springfield, Bersa, CZ, H&R, and some others.

Rugertalk is my homebase so to speak. Rugers are b#1 here,n
    Over at CZ, they are #1.

I agree with VT, arrogance usually is the culprit that attracts ire of others, and may lead to disturbance.

Respect others OPINIONS, that's all.

Jim

10. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Well, welcome to RugerTalk. Thus is really a great forum with some great members. If you follow the rules, (which really isn't THAT hard) you're not gonna get banned. I'm a member of a few gun forums and RugerTalk has always been my favorite. On some other forums the ruled are not really enforced which results in very heated arguments that ends in unhappy/bitter members. One of the threads on one forum like this was set up just for people to troll each other!

Anyway, welcome to RT, hope you enjoy it here.

11. RTAdmin

RTAdmin Administrator Administrator

The mods and admins set the tone for the forum. I believe in community first and have tried to put moderators and admins in place that share that same philosophy. It's not impossible to get banned here, but it's pretty hard as we talk to you first, discuss it as a team and generally put ourselves in the shoes of the person we're about to ban to understand the motivation of the comment.

If you ever have issues with our moderation please feel free to reach out to me directly. I objectively review the situation and make a determination in the best interest of the community. I'll be frank, 90% of the time I agree with the mods but I have over turned mod decisions in the past. Most have been understanding.

12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Not a good start telling us you were banned...but...from a retired moderator

Good Afternoon from the R/T anyway...!!

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have never had a problem on this forum or another I used to belong to. If you treat others as you wish you be treated, with dignity and politeness, I can't see where you would encounter any problems. There are times I have expressed my views and some may have been a little trite, but I never directed it towards anyone on this forum. Also, if I have offended anyone, I will be the first to apologize. I think the moderators and the administrator are only asking that you are respectful, don't use any profanity and don't try to antagonize. This is a very fair forum and all who are on here deserve all the respect you can give. There are great people on here and there is much to learn from fellow shooters, collectors and general gun people.
    BTW- Welcome to the forum and please bear in mind the few things I have mentioned and you won't have any problems. I am proud to be a supporting member of this forum and will do what I can to maintain it's integrity!!!!!

Tommy-from the valley of the sizzling sun-Az

14. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

The other forum has no sense of humor. There are a lot of people wound too tightly and it resulted in unnecessary censorship.

15. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well I take offense at those last 2 !! (!)

I was going to send you one of my stickers, but now never mind.

16. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Not sure what was said/posted but as I see in a lot of such cases, what one deems as playful humor, just isn't so. To me, things should pass the "grandmother test". If it is something that shouldn't be said to a sweet old grandmother, it's best to keep it to yourself.

17. buster40c

I find before hitting the submit then sit back count to ten then read what you thought to post. If you then see how it might be taken as ruffling some feathers, being offensive, or as the above said will not pass the grandma test then censor yourself. I have cancelled some of my intended posts and some I should have. If I have a strong opinion about someone's belief being wrong or in my mind it is ignorant then it is better to just keep my opinion to myself. We can have different beliefs without having to start a fire on who is wright or wrong. Even Tarzan knew it was better not to beat his chest when he and Jane didn't agree on things.
    Thank goodness most all on this forum think that way also.

18. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,

I was going to send you one of my stickers, but now never mind. ___(your quote)

Ok for you Bob, just Ok for you. Now I am gonna get even and I think I owe you more than one. Just gotta refresh my memory is all.:spot:

Tommy

19. buster40c

^^^ This is known as yanking legs and the two above are very good at it. Always in humorous jest mind you.

20. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^now you're practically begging Jim to post his VT and Tommy leg pulling picture he made

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.