Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received this 6 cavity mold this past week and cast several bullets using wheel weights. Bullets came out larger in diameter than hoped for running from .453 to .457. Also the weight approximate average was 239 grains.
I size them anyway so that is not such a problem. What I don't like is the weight. I may send it back or simply mill off .010" off the mold making the bullet lighter. Not sure yet.
I will load light target loads for my Ruger SR 45 so I'll deal with it but was hoping to get some load data for Bullseye powder for lead round nose in the 230 grain folks are using.
Thanks. KY

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
My lee molds drop a little heavy, about 5 grains. You could still use data for a 230 lead bullet and be safe, because lead bullet data is reduced. If it's going to fast, you'll just get leading, not excessive pressure.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
The closest I could find in my Lyman 47th edition was 225 grn lead bullet over 4 grains of Bullseye for 680fps as a low, 5 grns for 815 as a high. All my 230 listings are for FMJ, and that includes my Alliant book.
I have listing for 230 grain lead in my Speer reloading manual but Bullseye isn't listed.
Unique, SR4756, Herco, Green Dot, Red Dot, 700-X, H. Universal, and 231 are all they list.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Lyman's has a new reloading book however I have not had the chance nor the funds to buy it, but am going to ASAP. Supposedly they are going to have all the new powders and loads so we are not so much in the dark. I have some old manuals from the late 60's-mid 70's however I don't trust them much and powder has really changed in the last couple of years. They used to put an asterick on the best loading combination so you had a good guideline on loading. Now in my Lyman's book they just highlight some of the rounds. Reloading manuals weren't as expensive back then. $10.00 was the norm. Now the books are hitting up to almost $50.00 but you can't live without them.

Tommy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tell me, are you new to casting?
So far, you are in the region for standard casting.
Weight and diameter variations are caused by alloy variations and temperature variations.
Flux more and watch the temperature.
Also, unless you are planning to shoot beyond 50 yards, the weight and size variations mean nothing.
I prefer to shot as-cast tumble lubed bullets in everything (unless I need a gas check). Before trying to solve what sounds more like a non-issue, try shooting them first and seeing how they do. You'll be surprised how little effect anything except a perfectly filled out base has on cast bullets out to 50 yards.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mold casts larger than desired diameters and 10 grains heavy ( should be 230 grain). I size them. This is from wheel weights at 750 to 800 degrees pot temp. Bullets still slightly wrinkled. I would shoot revolver bullets as cast but pistol (45apc) would not chamber using a chamber a case chamber gage. The range is 25 yds max so they don't need to be high quality just good quality. Just wish the weight in the tumble lube bullets were at 230 grain vs 239 - 240. Unless I change my mind, I am going to mill the mold down on the bullet base side of he mold. The ulcer base below e tumble lube rings is approx .090" so I plan on milling it down approx .025" or so. KY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts