LCRx3 38 Special

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by VThillman, May 10, 2017.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Went to my LGS and picked up my LCRx3 this evening. Visual and function checks OK.

The rear sight is fully adjustable, with a blade insert. No white outline (Ruger SOP from the factory I guess). I wonder if a white outline is available. The sighting notch in the blade is considerably wider than the front blade, but without range time I dunno if that's an issue. The front sight blade is 1/8th inch wide, and the white paint on the ramp extends exactly to the top of the blade, minus a few thousandths. It is in a shallow recess in the ramp, which should allow it to last awhile.

The Hogue Tamer grip has room for all three fingers, so is longer than the stock LCR; looks a little odd, because it is rather narrow front-to-back, and Ruger's grip angle is steeper than that of my Smith Model 10. A Bisley-ish look.

The DA trigger action is smooth and reasonably light, except for a very pronounced 'hitch' just before let off. With minimal practice it should be easy to stop the pull there, if that's your want. SA pull is short and smooth, and fairly stiff.

I think I'll take a comparison pick, with the Smith Model 10 and the Charter Arms Police Undercover - tomorrow. Range time next week I hope. Lousy weather this week.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am surprised to hear the sa is fairly stiff. Usually SA is the lighter than the DA. Waiting to hear if you shoot it better than your results with the Charter.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Buster, the very last part of the DA pull, i.e. the "hitch" part I mentioned, is the SA pull. The thinner front sight blade on the LCRx may be conducive to better shooting by moi.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

a comparison look

These are my 38 Specials now. Top to bottom, right to left, S&W Model 10, Ruger LCRx3, Charter Arms Police Undercover.

The relatively Bisley-like grip angle on the Ruger is clearer here. What isn't clear is their relative sizes, because of the camera angle; the S&W is the bulkiest of them.

Because the CA is built on the Bulldog frame, the cylinder needs to fill it; hence the size of the cylinder.

When I clean the Ruger I will learn if the grip frame is different from the snubby LCR. If they are the same, I have a shorter grip option.

Attached Files:

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I saw Centerfire systems has S&W model 10 and model 64 police trade ins on sale $279 - $319. I think I have enough 38 specials so I passed on buying another one.
    Looks like you are getting a collection of 38's also.
    It would be interesting to see your targets shooting each gun for comparison.

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hey, that's a good idea, Buster. Will have to work on the logistics. :)

7. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I've read that the LCRx3 grip and the short LCR grips are interchangeable.

I rented the LCRx3 once and really liked it.

8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I really like my LCRX-3. Think it looks like a GLOCK and a J frame had a love child, but still. I like it!

9. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yep, the grip frame is the same as the LCR DAO.

The two leather holsters I had left over from DAO days, were a disappointment. The De Santis will work in a pinch, but doesn't enshroud the trigger; acts as a ward of a sort, but makes me leery. The Bianchi won't accept the (taller) LCRx3 front sight; I'm offering it in that other thread.

I used the Ruger 20% new gun discount to ease the pain in ordering a Mitch Rosen made specifically for the LCRx3. I carry the SR40c in a Mitch Rosen, it's a good holster.

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I've been messing with grips - here's the latest.

Pachmayr LCR G10. Made from "a multi-layered fiberglass matrix". Shot off 25 of my 'medium warm' rounds (130gr Meister hard cast over 6.0gr True Blue) and was just beginning to feel a little sting. Good enough - and pretty. Won't stick to a shirt either.

I'm guessing that +P might start the sting a little sooner. Haven't decided whether to carry +P or a slightly warmer version of this load with XTP bullets in it. (Hah. This True Blue makes a little smoke; a location reveal?)

Attached Files:

12. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Beautiful grips, I do like the G10. tough stuff.

Jim