Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Ruger has seen fit to introduce the LCRX in 357 Magnum. If they come out with the 3 inch, or preferably a 4 inch version I may be interested.

Wish they would have done everything 22 Long Rifle.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've had a SP101 in 357 as my carry gun for decades now and after last yr, been looking at changing for hiking. Considered the LCR previously just as a change. Went a different route but I see this as being a popular little choice for those that insist on having really light weight.

·
Registered
108 Posts
a 3inch (they will make them) LCRx .357 with hammer..perfect trail gun.

Ability to load .357 Magnum for Bear or other animal defense..]
but still lighter than a SP101.

·
Registered
992 Posts
^^^ I sure like the idea of the 3 inch .357, but not the execution. The execution of my wrists, that is, which probably would have to be laid to rest after shooting any full house .357s through it!:D

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Shooting an occasional 357 full mag isn't killer with the regular LCR but it isn't pleasant shooting either. Shooting a box of 50 then yeah your hand might want to have some ice or grab anything other than a 357 round.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Yeah, a 3 inch gun with a hammer would make a nice trail gun. I am still hoping to find a nice used SP 101 snub, but it hasn't turned up yet. I used a 2 3/4"Speed Six as a tail backup gun for years and still have one. It is HEAVY and recoil is very controllable. I got the LCR by chance off an old guy at a show that said he got it cuase it was so light and had a great DA trigger. However, when he fired .357s outta it, he started flinching. He said the .38s were better, but stll too snappy. I can live tith it, but I miss having a hammer.

I fired some really old police loads that my dad had for his service gun, a S&W Mod 28 Highway Patrolman. The loads were from back in the early 70s. Winchester 158 gr. and pure lean. There was not much to pick from back then. They were not bad in that gun and they were what the city ordered for the .357s. Really hot stuff. They were vicious in the LCR. Lotta flame. Modern ammo in the 110 to 125 gr .357s are much better. Lotta noise,b ut less recoil. Haven't tried .38s in it yet and I have had it for a few years now. Got some .38 snubs for that anyway.

When I wanna wake people up at an indoor range, I shoot the LCR with some of the old Winch. ammo. Still have a couple of boxes of it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd like the LCRx snub in .357 because after owning 5 LCRs.

I prefer the .357 frame for 38+P loads.

That extra weight over the 38+P frame tames recoil a bit and
is only noticed if you ankle carry.

The idea of a hammer appeals to me.

So does the copper colored cylinder,

Thus, I hope they offer such in the
LCRx .357 sometime soon.

I have this if I need to shoot .357 ammo.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
^ ... IMO that is the best barrel length for the .357 Blackhawk.
Have had a couple, itching to get another. The balance is perfect with that 4.5/8" barrel.
Yeah, that copper color is good looking on that cylinder alright. :melikey:

:usa:

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Yep, the 4 4 5/8" barrel on the Blackhawks is my favorite. I had to compromise back in the late 70s. I got a Super blackhawk and it was only available then in 7.5 inches. I ttied to carry it and a 6.5" in .357 for a backup to a rifle in the field. They were both too laong. I had nother Super B. at the time and sold it cause I found a 4 5/8 inch .41 mag. It was my intention to get a .357, but the .41 turned up at the right price. I used it more than anything else. Will eventually get the .357 in the short barrel too. I have had 4 different .357s and they were all 6,5" guns. Never kept them long.

Last one was a 3 scrrew old model in the pic at the top. It is gone now too. I did use the Service Six alot too. It is the 4th one down in the pic. The barrel is 2 3/4 inches. real packable, but heavy. Still want an SP-101 snub, but I know it is not much lighter than the Service Six. The Service Six was good in it's day and is really not much smaller or lighter than a GP-100. I have a belt holster for it and a shoulder rig. Don't use it much now cause I don't hunt much now. And the LCR at the bottom. Just got it for the hell of it. I keep it loaded with .357s cause I have snub .38s for .38 spls. Will eventually get an LCRx in .357 also, just for the hell of it. The guns are very light. I have not carried the LCR much.

The old 4 5/8" .41 mag. It was my compromise between the long barrel .44 Super B. and the longer .357s. Carried it alot when hunting back in the late 70s & early 80s. It is suppose to be lighter than the .357 in the same barrel length cause there is less metal in the cylinder and barrel. Makes sense, but I will eventtually get one in .357 also.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Yep, the 4 4 5/8" barrel on the Blackhawks is my favorite. I had to compromise back in the late 70s. I got a Super blackhawk and it was only available then in 7.5 inches. I ttied to carry it and a 6.5" in .357 for a backup to a rifle in the field. They were both too laong. I had nother Super B. at the time and sold it cause I found a 4 5/8 inch .41 mag. It was my intention to get a .357, but the .41 turned up at the right price. I used it more than anything else. Will eventually get the .357 in the short barrel too. I have had 4 different .357s and they were all 6,5" guns. Never kept them long.

Last one was a 3 scrrew old model in the pic at the top. It is gone now too. I did use the Service Six alot too. It is the 4th one down in the pic. The barrel is 2 3/4 inches. real packable, but heavy. Still want an SP-101 snub, but I know it is not much lighter than the Service Six. The Service Six was good in it's day and is really not much smaller or lighter than a GP-100. I have a belt holster for it and a shoulder rig. Don't use it much now cause I don't hunt much now. And the LCR at the bottom. Just got it for the hell of it. I keep it loaded with .357s cause I have snub .38s for .38 spls. Will eventually get an LCRx in .357 also, just for the hell of it. The guns are very light. I have not carried the LCR much.

The old 4 5/8" .41 mag. It was my compromise between the long barrel .44 Super B. and the longer .357s. Carried it alot when hunting back in the late 70s & early 80s. It is suppose to be lighter than the .357 in the same barrel length cause there is less metal in the cylinder and barrel. Makes sense, but I will eventtually get one in .357 also.

That's a sweet collection of Rugers you have there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I went with a NIB KLR in .357 Magnum.

Plan a diet of 38/38+P for it. .357 in an emergency involving
animal defense.

I could have went with a LCRx but they are hard to find right now.

Another option was to wait for a possible KLCR with that copper cylinder:)

I think I'll be happy.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Pancho,

That is a nice collection of guns and you should be proud of them. I am still in favor of pistols with hammers though. I guess I have shot them for so many years that having a hammerless pistol seems alien to me. But I am old school. Old habits are hard to break. I really like the 4 5/8" barrel. That is one sweet looking gun!!!!!!

Tommy

·
Registered
108 Posts

This leaves me with the option of the LCRx in .357 or the .357 in the LCRx 3 incher (they prob will make them)
later on this year or next.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts