Lcr357

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by CD74, Feb 20, 2017.

1. CD74

CD74 New Member

I'm probably gonna buy me a LCR357 this week. I was just wondering what other owners like to shoot through it.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I shoot 38 spl 99% of the time but I carry and occasionally shoot +P. Not often but I will shoot a few full bang 357. I have several handguns that I could easily carry but the LCR is the one carried.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

38 SPL +P I found easy shooting enough to avoid the infamous flinch reflex. I tried 'medium' load 357 Mag, but only one cylinderful. Made the hand tingle.

4. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I shoot .357 and .38 Spl out of mine. More of the Special than Magnum. Mags are no fun out of the light wheel gun, even with the Hogue Tamers.

Lots of Winchester, PMC, and Federal FMJs. Carry round is low flash Buffalo Bore.

5. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

I personally didn't like mine and sold it. I have the LCR .38 +P, but for .357 mag I prefer my SP101 2.5" barrel.

6. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

I proffer the Critical Defense .38 +P but the CD 125 gr. 357 mag ammo is tolerable except for the muzzle blast, and 158 gr. 357 mag rounds are almost intolerable. Also have a LCRX .38 spl. and am quite happy with both of them.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The brands of 38+P I have fired are: Hornady Critical Defense (110gr) and Remington Golden Saber (125gr). The Hornady may expand better when heavy clothing is involved. But I have no personal experience shooting people with either ammo.

8. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

You need weight if you want to shoot .357 regularly. The alloy frame of the LCR is no range gun unless you use .38 sp. If it's just a CCW, then I would keep it loaded with ..38 anyway.

If you want a range gun then the SP or GP lines are much better. The longer barrel is better too.

9. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

38+P for my LCR...357 is for my 3" SP101. I'm not a masochist.

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

LOL a bunch of wussies here.

11. CD74

CD74 New Member

Well I got but I didn't like it. It was just I had hard time shooting it. Not the kick but hitting the target. I'll stick to carrying my SR40C. I love that gun. It didn't matter what I put in that LCR357 just had tough time with the target.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The accuracy problem with a snubby revolver is not unique to you; it's a short sight radius, a long DA pull, and a rear sight design that may take getting used to.

If you feel like giving the LCR an extended trial, I recommend a lot of dry firing, paying attention to maintaining the sight picture while pulling the trigger. The long pull may require special attention to trigger finger position.

At 10 yards, with practice, you can figure on putting six rounds into center mass of a silhouette target within six seconds.

I am fond of my SR40c, and have been carrying it for awhile. If my Charter Arms Police Undercover comes back from customer service in good condition, I intend to follow that process come spring, then make an 'informed choice'. Rounds, concealability and weight will be considered, but hitting the blasted target is #1, eh? ;)