LCR22LR light strikes/misfires

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by R2D2, Feb 17, 2016.

1. R2D2

R2D2 Member

I have a Ruger LCR in 22LR that does not always fire a round.

I have tried a few different brands of ammo and out of 8 rounds in the cylinder 1 or 2 will not fire and appear to have light strikes on the rim.

I do not know if it is a spring or firing pin issue, or maybe need a more detailed cleaning. Anyone know of some good info on resolving this issue or is this something that should go to Ruger for correction?

The rounds that did not fire were tested in another pistol and they all fired without incident.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Are the rounds that didn't fire (first time) Remington ?

Just asking,

I have had the same problem with several different guns, and come to find that the only ones that didn't fire were Remington.

Or could be gunk in the firing pin channel.

Jim

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Since you have the problem with several makes of ammo in your gun and the same misfire ammo fires in other guns then I would call Ruger and ask them about it. I am thinking they will have you send it back to them. First I would do a real good cleaning of the gun and try again. If that fails then call Ruger.
    I have had 22lr ammo that failed to fire but the second time they did fire. I have had some 22lr ammo that I tried shooting several times and they never did fire. 22lr ammo is not the best ammo for sure.
    I would clean the fire pin channel with cleaner but I wouldn't apply any oil to the channel afterwards. It is best to leave the channel clean.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  4. R2D2

R2D2 Member

No actually most were Federal 40g LRN & CRN

5. R2D2

R2D2 Member

Well, cleaned & oiled it up as well as I could short of an entire dismantling including checking the firing pin channel and went back to the range yesterday with 3 different brands of ammo, all failed miserably on 2-3 out of 8 rounds. Yet all 3 brands of ammo worked perfectly in my 10/22 takedown.

Guess I will be calling Ruger on Monday for their views and send it in if needed.

6. buster40c

I will be watching to see how this turns out. No doubt Ruger will make it right.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Here you go. Doesn't help with the .22 but......

Attached Files:

8. R2D2

R2D2 Member

Spoke to Ruger Monday and got an RMA..... it is on its way to them as we speak.

9. R2D2

R2D2 Member

Gun was returned this past Monday. The work order said they gave it a new Firing pin assy; new internal parts and a new cylinder assy.

I must say that the cylinder feels much tighter when snapped in the frame.

Range date for my testing will be Friday.

I must say that I am impressed with Ruger service so far and was not expecting the turn around to be so quick

10. buster40c

Sounds like they replaced most of the gun. Yep can't beat Ruger service.

11. R2D2

R2D2 Member

I have to agree, not only did they provide shipping both ways, I had the gun back in less than two weeks after I dropped it of at the Fedex office....

Finally got to the range yesterday and put in through about 100 rounds of various brands of ammo.... not one misfire or malfunction.

As far as I am concerned they are tops.