LCR in .22 WRM

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by trainman, Apr 11, 2016.

1. trainman

trainman Member

I am wondering what kind of feedback you might have on the LCR in .22 WRM. I have a .38 but have always wanted a .22 magnum small pistol. What is good or what is bad.

2. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016

3. trainman

trainman Member

Thanks, it really took a lot of looks before a real answer.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I didn't respond because I have no experience with the LCR. Not much with the ,22 WRM either (a few rounds in my Single Six). I do know that the local R&G indoor range bans the cartridge, apparently because of ricochets. I'm not a member, don't know the details.

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I only can add 2 things that I know about .22magnum,

1. I really like the round for varmint, when shot out of a long barrel 18"+, it is underestimated IMO.

2. I have shot many rounds thru short barrels < 5", and it is fun...but you will have unburned powder all over the place, and yourself. It has quite a big muzzle flash, and is pretty dang loud.

I own an LCR .38 spcl, it has the absolute best DA trigger of any centerfire DA revolver.

Now.........the trigger on an LCR Rimfire will not be so good, as it takes much stronger hammer spring to fire the rimfire primer.

Try the trigger on one before you bring one home, I did and left it at the store..:rolleyes:

Hey buddy....just my $.02.

Jim

6. trainman

trainman Member

Thank's That is a very valuable.02. I likewise have a .38 and would hope the .22 would be comparable.
    thanks again.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The triggers are not comparable.

Jim

8. R2D2

R2D2 Member

I have LCRs in 38 and in 22LR, the triggers are totally different with the 22LR being the harder one to pull.....

but I still love them both

9. trainman

trainman Member

is just being harder to pull the only difference? I wonder why that is. Just because it is rim fire.
    How much harder is it. Can you describe how much harder.

10. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Were it available as a longer barreled model, maybe 5" or so, I'd be interested in a .22magnum revolver. In such a short bbl though, I'd bump up to a .32

11. R2D2

R2D2 Member

I don't have anything to measure it but it is not unmanageable. Maybe 1-2 lbs more, both are smooth as silk.

Both my LCRs are primarily used as a snake-shot guns as I work at an water practice range of a golf course. The short barrel is great for CCI shotshells and very concealable in the front pocket of my cargo shorts.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  12. mc110

mc110 New Member

I use my LCR 22WMR with CCI snake-shot as well. Have a few moccasins and copperheads around our RV park and the LCR works great for getting rid of them. Unfortunately my lovely bride prefers my LCR over her SR22. Don't figure!

13. gumpy

gumpy New Member

I use my LC9s and SR 45 with CCI #12 ratshot. Snakes are really bad this year!

14. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I heard the LCR 22 trigger was not near as good as the LCR 38. I was at the LGS and he let me try the trigger on the LCR 22 and I really didn't think it was that much different. Like they say to each his/her own. Shooting bird shot I want a longer barrel than an LCR has. I shot my LC9s with bird shot and I was really surprised how big the pattern was. I was able to blow the heck out of medicine bottles but I also was within around 6'. I am not to sure I would be all that confident shooting a snake with it but if where I couldn't use something bigger like a shotgun then I would be glad I had the little 9mm shot shell.

I have shot a snake with a 22lr shot shell from a six inch Heritage and it was no match for a 12 ga against a snake. I hit the snake a few times with the 22 and the snake was far from dead. One shot from the 12ga shot shell and the snake was in pieces and not moving. All accounts I would think an LCR snub 22 mag would be far from ideal for snake killing. The shot pattern with the tiny shot just isn't all maybe expected to be. Even the 9mm LC9s the shot is very tiny. Almost like pin holes in paper target. It didn't blow even a small diameter hole in the target from 6-8 feet away. The pattern spread to big.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  15. mc110

mc110 New Member

I carry the LCR 22 MAG in my pocket of my cargo shorts when wondering around the park. Fortunately I have been lucky to have been told where the snake was by neighbors wanting them to be gone. The LCR works well for head shots at close range. Usually a couple shots required. Keep in mind the shot shells are designed for shooting varmints in barns without putting holes through the building. I also have a 70 yr old 410 that takes snakes heads off very nicely.

16. mc110

mc110 New Member

For big snakes would probably go with LCR 38. I have bunch of semi autos, but they don't cycle shot shells worth a hoot..