LCR carry load

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by buster40c, Dec 3, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Those that carry the LCR 357 what do you usually have it loaded with when carrying?

I was a bit concerned with the deafening boom, the flash, and over penetration of the 357 magnum so I now carry the 38 +P. Maybe I should be carrying the 357 magnums?

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I carry with .38 +Ps too. When I get the reloading bench going for the winter, I plan to load some .357s up on the mild side. A nice thing about wheel guns is that we can put just about any 'big hollow' bullets through them without FTFe - so I ought to be able to keep 'shoot-through' to a minimum. That stubby barrel limits velocities too, y'know (though not the flash-bang).

3. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Different animal, but for me carrying the SP101, I opt for .38 special over the .357 magnums as well. Part is I have little interest in practicing with the hotter stuff and part is if it were t be needed, I honestly doubt that which is on the other end will notice. I've always liked the Remington Golden Sabers but have bought bunch of the Federal HST stuff recently I'm going to try. Better still is it's new holster should be here tomorrow. :)

4. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I carry low-flash .357 Buffalo Bore in my LCR 357.

5. buster40c

^^ Does it actually have less flash or recoil? I have read reports that many low flash or low recoil rounds really don't fit the hype.

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Never fired an LCR but we used to have a .357 mag SP101 w/2.25" barrel in the family.

Shooting at night into dirt.......
    .357 mag 125 gr factory loads at that time made some flash but I wouldn't call it blinding.
    I'm thinking today's SD factory loads probably wouldn't have so much flash as to be a problem.
    But I'm only guessing considering your gun is an LCR.

You might want to try something like Win PDX1 .357's or something advertised as low flash.
    A couple of shots at night and you'll know.

As far as recoil and Boom, I read an account about a guy that had to shoot a bear with a .454 Casull.
    Said he never even felt the recoil or heard the blast.
    I think working to stay alive blocks out everything else in high stress situations.

7. buster40c

I shot my LCR with 357 magnums on a 4th of July night and the flash was not even blinding. Yes it did flash but not blinding by any means. Now I have no intentions of firing those rounds without hearing protection unless I have no choice.
    I have fired a 9mm in the house without hearing protection and the noise was nothing compared to shooting a 9mm outside without hearing protection. The sound evidently is absorbed by furniture and contents that the sound was not even close to causing a hearing problem.
    I can imagine between concentration and adrenalin during a bad scenario the sound or flash will not be noticed. Well in the case of a 357 magnum the sound after shock will be noticed.

8. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

Hi guys. The SPEER 100 grain Gold Dot is fine for me as a defensive load
    in .327 Federal Magnum.

Reloading is out of the question for me.

I'm hoping that if I do pick up a box or two of
    the 85 grain A&E that it will be tamer than the
    100 grain.

I can see where the 100 grain SP ammo would be ideal
    for the Blackhawk or .327 GP100.

As I really bought the .327 becuase I wanted a Magnum
    with less recoil than my old KLCR .357...

The SPEER 100 grain has perfect recoil for , but still
    a bit [email protected] bucks for 20 rounds.

Eric @ HBE is making me a LCR holster, so I should be
    seeing that in 12 weeks or so.

Right now my new sticky Tec-Grip holster from Blackhawk
    works.

Still, I like that 6th round and the wonderful trigger.

Just need to try to 85 grain and see how that goes.

The local shops also sell the 85 grain Federal JHP for
    $20 a box of 20. That is interesting as well, but only
    for carry.

9. Big_country346

Big_country346 New Member

I carry .357 critical duty in my LCR. Now when I practice, I'll use 38 sp. because those hot rounds can get snappy trying to go through a box.
    The last thing you should be worried about in a self defense situation is the flash, boom, recoil, etc. Focus on your shot placement and it'll be over before you know it.
    It's like sighting in a .300 win mag. Recoil is the worst while at the range, but when you're laying the smackdown on a big game animal, you don't even notice the recoil.