Lcr 9

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by sorcererf6b, Jan 1, 2017.

1. sorcererf6b

sorcererf6b New Member

Early December I bought a used LCR 9 from LGS. It came with a Bianchi oswb holster, 2 extra grips. Both extra grips were Hogue, one was a shorter grip than stock the other was a G10 grip. On the first outing I had the stock Hogue "Tamer" grip on it. The grip screw worked loose. This was no fault of Ruger. I started ammo trials with Blazer Brass 115 gr ball. The Blazer was key holing and I had one round kick a bullet out of the case locking up the cylinder out of 50. Next up was the Federal HST 124gr Law enforcement tactical. It made nice round holes. On the next range trip I changed the grip to the Hogue G10 grip. This trip I took American Eagle 115gr FMJ, Winchester115 gr FMJ, Tulammo 115gr FMJ steel case, Magtech 124gr FMJ. First up was the Tulammo. Slight key hole. How ever I had to pry all 5 cases out of the cylinder with my pocket knife. Not going to try that again. The other 3 brands had slight key holes. The G10 grip was better that the stock Tamer grip as far as holding the LCR how ever with nothing Cushing it seemed slippery and was not real comfortable to shoot. I have a Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip coming. All shots were at 21 feet. At 1.87" barrel it's not a bullseye gun. I managed to keep all rounds on the silhouette target. I purchased a Blade Tech iwb "Klipt" holster and it Carrys well in it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I had a bullet come forward and jam the cylinder. Upon inspection I found the casing had a crack in it. I have not had any jamming since.
    Sometimes while shooting 357 mags I need let the cylinder cool before trying to eject the casings or they can be somewhat hard to eject out. That might have been from shooting a certain type 357 round since it seldom happens.

Is it a pita loading or unloading the moon clips?

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I'm interested in the LCR9 but not if it keyholes. That kind of defeats the purpose of using quality hollowpoints.

4. sorcererf6b

sorcererf6b New Member

I knew going in about moon clips and you don't need a tool to remove the empty brass. For me it's more difficult to remove Unfired rounds from the moon clip. As far as the key holing, it was the ball ammo. The HST's made nice round holes. If you live or travel to places that you are restricted to ball ammo then it would be of some concern.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Your annoyance with moon-clips maybe ought to be tempered by their reload assist. Your LCR is an SD gun, right?

6. sorcererf6b

sorcererf6b New Member

I've been carrying semi autos for 9'years. My only other wheel gun is a 4" 22. Been shooting sence 1981. Carrying a wheel gun is a new adventure. My only real annoyance with moon clips is at the range. Reloading the clips every 5 shots lets you think about what you are doing, right or wrong. The worst part about the " black" moon clips is loosing it on the black lane table top for over a minute.

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Oh yeah paint the moon clip white with pink dots. No problem seeing it then.

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

This is strickly a personal thought however I would like to share it with you. Blazer brass and Winchester white box are 2 of the worst rounds you can buy even though they are cheap. Remember that 98% of my shooting is with a SR1911 .45 and I have tried Blazer and White box. I had nothing but problems. I won't even reload Blazer brass when I find it on the range. When I come home and sort out my rounds, I check the Winchester for primer size and just pitch the Blazer.

Tommy

9. spikedriver

^^^ I hear lots of people complaining about white box recently. I've never had any trouble with it or Blazer in 9mm. I don't use Blazer because around here most other practice fmj is cheaper. But I have used white box rather extensively for years with zero problems. That said, I prefer Magtech if I can get it. As far as the keyholing with the LCR goes, is the super short barrel the problem? Maybe there isn't enough rifling in a 1.9 inch barrel to stabilize it? I'm just curious as to the mechanics of the issue. And, if the SD stuff works good, maybe its not really an issue at all...

10. spikedriver

Buster likes to make a fashion statement with his moon clips...;)