LCP2 Failure to eject

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Jazzccp, Sep 6, 2018.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The latest Federal FMC .380 and 9mm ammo use cheap plated bullets, not jacketed bullets. Plated bullets require case neck tension to hold the bullet in place unlike bullets with real jackets that use a crimp of some sort (along with case tension) to hold the bullet.
    I once had a Beretta M84 .380 that had a very steep feed ramp. The one box of "new" Federal ammo I tried caused jams in that gun. The bullet would get pushed in some when it hit that steep feed ramp causing the jam.
    Plated bullets will stay put well enough in my plated bullet reloads so maybe I got a bad batch the one time I tried cheap Federal ammo in that gun.
    BTW, Winchester .380 FMC ammo uses bullets with real jackets.
    I don't know anything about current Remington ammo. I quit everything Rem years ago.

I've never looked at the LCP 2 because it just doesn't do anything for me so I got nothing to offer concerning the pistol.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Karl R likes this.
  2. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thanks for the feedback regarding the ammo and the pistol. I purchased the LCP 2 because I wanted a smaller and lighter pistol for edc and it had good reviews for a mouse gun.

Karl R likes this.

3. Karl R

Karl R New Member

"Lil Elsie" I like that. Can I steal it?

4. Karl R

Karl R New Member

Yes, I think you can scratch Federal ball off your .380 list. Any semiauto pistol will have certain preferences, and the LCP II seems fairly easy to please.
    He said "Lil Elsie," I really like that. Elsie the LCP, hehe.

5. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thanks. I’ll cross off Federal ball for the LCP 2.

6. bill-e

bill-e New Member

When I was working up a load I had that kind of stuff happen until I reached a certain power factor then all was good so it's likely that marginally powerful enough ammo fails occasionally. Limp wristing is also a possible cause and I think it's pretty easy to do with the LCP especially if you have big hands and cant grip it well.

Karl R and louchia like this.
  7. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thanks. I’m sure that I didn’t limp wrist this time. I think it is the ammo and will report back after I return from the range later this week.

Karl R likes this.
  8. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

This is an update from my previous trip to the range. I went to the range today after replacing the Ruger LCP 2 recoil spring with a Wolff standard recoil spring made for the LCP 2. The pistol had no issues with 50 rounds of Sig .380 FMJ. I had 2 dozen Federal Champion FMJ bullets left from my previous trip to the range so I used them and experienced 2 failures to eject. I took extra care not to limp wrist. This ammo has now proven that it is unreliable be a with this pistol. I also shot 26 rounds of Winchester white box FMJ without a problem. I also shot 100 rounds of Federal 9mm FMJ with my Taurus G2C and had no failures at all.

rugertoter and Karl R like this.
  9. louchia

louchia Member

Thanks for the range report. Seems you have found the cause of your problem.

Jazzccp likes this.
  10. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Stay away from Fiocchi brand too.

11. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thanks, I will.

12. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Most certainly can be frustrating at times, but once you have narrowed it down, then you can avoid the problem...in this case for you, the ammo.

13. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

I agree and thanks.

rugertoter likes this.