LCP2 Failure to eject

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Jazzccp, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

I just returned from the range and I experienced 2 failures to eject back to back from the same mag using Remington 95 grain UMC fmj. Subsequent shots worked ok and I shot a total of 50 rounds with the Remington ammo. The gun was cleaned and oiled prior to going to the range. I purchased this new LCP2 pistol last Saturday and shot 50 rounds of Fiocchi 95 grain fmj and 35 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 90 grain HP without experiencing any problems whatsoever. Has anyone experienced failures to eject with an LCP2? Do you think it can be be the Remington ammo or perhaps something else? Thank you in advance for your comments .

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Did you limp wrist it perhaps?

3. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thanks but I was using both hands and don’t think that I was limp wristing. After the first failure to eject I was extra careful but it occurred a second time. I released the mag, removed the shell from the slide and it never happened again. I also shot 2
    rounds of the gold dot Hps without a problem.

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I replaced the slide spring with a Wolffe SS and never had an issue.

5. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thank you for your recommendation. After I posted the problem, I disassembled the pistol to clean it and I did notice that the slide spring appeared to be a little bent. I straightened it before I reassembled the gun. I was surprised because it is a brand new gun.

6. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Which Wolfe SS did you buy? Was it the standard or a lighter or heavier one?

7. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Well, I have shot a lot of the Remington ammo, and I honestly find it a little underpowered, as far as the FMJ range ammo goes. You might not have had enough slide velocity happening there, seeing as though it did not happen with the other two brands. Besides, having a couple of FTE, within the first 50 or so rounds, is not that bad.

I would be worried if it happens all along, with a number of different brands of ammo.

louchia likes this.
  8. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

9. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thanks for your reply. I’ve ordered more of the Speer Gold dot 90 gr HP and also some Speer Lawman 95 gr TMJ and will see how the pistol performs. I also ordered a Wolff standard recoil spring that member nickndfl suggested in his post. If I still have failure to eject problems after I try the new ammo I will replace the spring. One step at a time.

rugertoter likes this.
  10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I would also try some other brand ammo just to rule out the gun doesn't like the ammo you fed it.

rugertoter likes this.
  11. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thanks. I know that the Speer gold dot HP works just fine and as soon as the Speer Lawman TMJ arrives I’ll try that next. Do you have any recommendations for range ammo that is known to be reliable with the LCP 2?

12. louchia

louchia Member

I've used Blazer, PMC and Win. all 95 gr. without issue. I find Rem. to be a little dirty and inconsistent.
    Until you have at least 300 or so rounds thru it ,I wouldn't be to concerned.
    The slightly bent spring, I do not think is an issue.

13. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thanks for the reply. I’ll try the ammo.

14. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

I just returned from the range and I’m happy to report that my LCP 2 did not have any failures to eject or any problems at all. I used Speed Gold dot HP and also tried Speer Lawman TMJ for the first time. I have fired approximately 300 rounds with this pistol and my accuracy has improved since my last visit to the range and I believe it will get even better. I also put fluorescent orange nail polish on the front sight and it helped. Initially, accuracy was a problem for me with this mouse gun compared to my Taurus G2C 9mm.

Karl R likes this.
  15. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the new results. Nobody likes a gun that malfunctions. Some guns seem to require a break in period and some are just ammo finicky.

The smaller the gun the more practice it takes to shoot it well. That's my opinion anyway.

16. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thanks. I agree with your comment regarding more practice. I’m improving each time I shoot it. I found that I am more accurate with the LCP2 when I aim it higher at the target than I do with my Taurus G2C.

17. Karl R

Karl R New Member

I am glad to see your results improved. It's likely they will continue so. You may have had a case of "The break in blues."

For what it's worth, I don't believe the slide spring is at fault with FTE problems. The spring is more likely suspect with FTF issues I think.

18. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thank you for your comment. I’ve been back to the range and had no failures whatsoever. My accuracy has also improved.

Karl R likes this.
  19. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Yesterday I went to the range and again experienced 2 failures to eject with my LCP 2 using Federal Champion 95 grain .380 brass FMJ that I used for the first time in this pistol. I shot 50 rounds with Sig .380 FMJ without a malfunction and then tried the Federal in the LCP 2 and then encountered the 2 failures back to back using the last 2 bullets in the 7 round mag. I have shot over 200 rounds of Federal Champion 9mm 115 grain FMJ in my 9mm Taurus G2C without any malfunctions. I use Speer Gold Dot 90 grain GDHP for EDC in the LCP 2 and have never had a malfunction. At this point I’m not sure if it’s the gun or the ammo.

Karl R likes this.
  20. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thank you for your reply and the vote of confidence for the gun. I’ve been considering selling it. I can’t take chance with an unreliable self defense weapon. I also don’t want to spend extra money for range ammo. I’ll try another 100 rounds of the Federal champion ammo. I just replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff spring. Perhaps this will make a difference.