Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone: Long time reader, first time poster here.I got my LCP2 in 2017 and it was a love/hate affair from the start. Right out of the gate I had feeding issues. I sent it to Ruger and they replaced the barrel. It did fix the problem, but it rattled like crazy with the new barrel.. I learned to live with that, as long as the feeding problem was gone.About a year ago I started having ejection problems. Ruger sent me a new extractor and spring.( The new spring did have a few more coils than the original.)Side note:If you only have two hands, you're in for a real treat changing the extractor. Also, I keep my firearms spotless and I would have bet $1,000. you could not find a speck of rust or corrosion on that pistol anywhere. I never thought about that blind hole the extractor spring resides in. That extractor design is terrible, in my opinion. It's noteworthy that the LCP Max.does not use that design...A vast improvement! So anyhow: The pics. are my LCP2 after about 4 to 500 rounds It's only had off-the-shelf range ammo.Both frame insert sides are cracked,as you can see.When I sent it in a month ago I asked if they could replace it with the Max, if I paid the difference in the MSRP.. I was told that wasn't possible.OK, I understand rules and procedures,etc. I also asked if my pistol was part of a "bad batch".I was hoping that was the case, but I was told "it's rare, but this can happen." I was also informed that the frame insert in the entire LCP line are made the exact same way. .. I had made up my mind to sell my replacement LCP2 on arrival. About a week went by with no activity,and when I contacted Ruger for an E.T.A. ,I was told that they could not give me an E.T.A. for my replacement LCP2, and asked me if they could send the Max instead ,at no extra charge! OF COURSE ,please do!.. (I'm happy with the exchange, but I have no idea why they could not send an LCP2(??)--------Sorry for the long post.---------------------------But I came here to say: Ruger customer service really was fantastic.No complaints at all..It did take about a month from start to finish, but that includes shipping time and Thanksgiving time. But why I really felt compelled to post is this: Take a good, long close look at your frame insert in any LCP product you own. And happy New Year to all!

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
You are right. CS is fantastic. The product, not so much. I had an original LCP that had cracked frame inserts. After the 2nd, Ruger replaced the gun with an LCP II upgrade. No problems since.
This is an old problem. There are several posts re this a few years back.
In my experiance, the gun is not ment to be a range gun. Just shot occasionally to maintain proficiency. With that in mind, it seems very reliable as a SD firearm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a Pocket gun enthusiast and have been since the LCP came out. I have had many cracks with them. Split rails, broken take down pins, cracked frames, cracked grips. The LCP is not designed for many rounds unlike some other manufacturers. The Aluminum frame is not suited for many rounds down range. Ruger will replace them which is good. But only to a point. If you are a avid shooter of Pocket guns and shoot often, (which you should do Imo) look for another 380. I have owned many LCP's, they are reliable. Will shoot most any ammo. Look for cracks at around the 1500 rd mark. Some will make it past that but not many. Do not ever shoot any plus P ammo or (hot ammo). I think the most I was ever to get out of one was 2200 rds.
The thing about pocket guns, is that you should not limit what the internet says they are for. You can, do wonders with them if you desire to put in the time. (Unfortunately the ammo high Prices now make it tough). I also train with the LCPll and the LCR22. Training and Practice with the small barrels is extremely enjoyable and again. Train often and you can do wonders with them.
PS. I have had cracks that look just like the OP's. It is common.
Note: 380's that say in their manuals will shoot plus P, do in fact do it with no problems. And they hold up with many thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All valid points, but I think owners need to inspect their LCPs much sooner than the 1500 round mark. Mine lasted about 400 rounds with only standard ammo.It would be great if they made them more durable,(even if it meant the pistol had to be just a little heavier or wider).

·
Registered
7 Posts
They should use stainless steel. The LCP is a cheap pocket gun. Most people will not shoot them very often. My personal belief is that the LCP has made more money than any other Ruger firearm. Millions sold.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. They are extremely popular little critters. You know, I found it very odd that Ruger could not tell me when they could ship me a replacement LCP2, but could immediately send me an LCP MAX instead. It crossed my mind that maybe they are phasing out the LCP2 (?) ----(I know they never discontinued the original LCP when they brought out the "2", but then again, they did stop the "Custom" model.) Who knows... ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep. They are extremely popular little critters. You know, I found it very odd that Ruger could not tell me when they could ship me a replacement LCP2, but could immediately send me an LCP MAX instead. It crossed my mind that maybe they are phasing out the LCP2 (?) ----(I know they never discontinued the original LCP when they brought out the "2", but then again, they did stop the "Custom" model.) Who knows... ...
I would ask them to put the difference toward a LCR. They are truly well built firearms and nothing like the LCP's. If you do get a LCP, I would ask to get one in 22.cal. That way, you could get a quality 380 from another manufacturer and use the 22.cal for training. I would not take the Max. If you do take a 380 then get the GEN 2 not the LCPll. Much better DAO trigger. They still make them in the NC. Plant. And you can use the 7 rd. Magazine. The build quality of the LCP is suited for 22.cal NOT 380. The LCP22 should last. Enjoyable little gun lousy trigger.
Again, if you can trade it for the LCR jump on it even if you pay more.
It does seem odd that they are offering you the Max. They may have made too many and have more in stock. Who knows?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They sent me the LCP Max last week. I haven't fired it yet but everything seems to be fine with it, at least in my living room.------------------------It doesn't thrill me that if you lay it on its left side on a table and push down on it, the mag. pops out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So far no problems with my 9 mm LC9s. Pretty good carry gun. Due to my sweat causing rust on the slide I had it black Cerakoted. Looks good and works great, especially with the Crimson Trace laser sight. That is THE way to go on a carry gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts