LCP take down pin follow up

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by louchia, May 26, 2015.

1. louchia

louchia Member

After my LCP fell apart at the range because the take down pin feel out, I contacted Rugar. The CS rep sent me a new pin and a set of recoil spring and a guide rod.
    I noticed a slight difference with the take down pin. see attached photos.
    The pin on the left is the new pin. It has an additional recess cut at the edge of the recessed area that captures the spring that holds the pin in place.
    Installing the pin, I immediately noticed that there in a stronger hold on the pin. Seems like it should help.

Attached Files:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That's an engineering improvement.

Tanks for posting that.

Jim

3. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Good stuff.......Ruger's customer service is awesome....

4. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

My LCP pin came out at the range yesterday. I don't know where it went. One would think it would be by my feet. The slide must have made it fly away.

5. louchia

louchia Member

Call Rugar and explain. They know of the problem and CS is very nice.
    They sent me a new pin which seems to correct the problem. 200 rnds now with no issues.

6. samson

samson New Member

A few months ago I replaced my 2013 LCP pin with a Tandemkross slotted pin after reading about original pins backing out and causing the slide to fly off. After installing the Tandemkross I felt confident that I would not have a problem. Recently I fired 25 rounds through my LCP and noticed the Tandemkross pin backing out. I pushed the pin back and made sure the slot was down with the dot on the pin's head facing down. After firing 12 rounds the pin was backing out again. The slot on the Tandemkross pin is supposed to stop the back-out of the pin. At home I inspected the pin and saw a shine mark on the opposite side from the slot. I deduced that the slide was rotating the pin leaving the slot on top and allowing the recoil to push the pin. I used the smallest file in the tool box and filed a slight flat spot where the slide was hitting the the top of the pin and rotating it. After a return to the range I fired 50 rounds without a problem with the pin backing out.

I sent an email to Tandemkross relating my problem and the solution. They emailed back and told me that they had done a modification to their new pins that basically does the same thing I did to my Tandemkross pin. They offered to replace my pin with a new one but figured I had solved my own problem.

Fired another 25 rounds yesterday and again no further back-out problems with the Tandemkross pin. ​

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. louchia

louchia Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  8. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

I did not call Ruger I had extra pin since I had similar experience this year. Back to range with new pin. About 25 rounds and no issues.

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for posting this info.

Good heads up,

Aint it fun to learn stuff.;):D

Jim

10. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

Back to range. Thought I should bring out the LCP for another test run. The pin started creeping out while shooting. I had to press it back in several times. Not happy. I brought out the Kahr 380 as my back up or under the steering wheel extra. LCP back in safe until I decide on what to do.

11. louchia

louchia Member

Have you got the new replacement pin from Rugar? As I mentioned, a phone call got me a free replacement pin as I showed in the photo. I have been to the range several times since. Now have at least 400 rnds with new pin. No issues. The new in and special attention to cleaning as I mentioned has worked for me.
    How do you like the Kahr 380. I took a serious look at the Kahr CT380 for my wife. Might get one for me.

12. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

This is a new gun. You are right I will contact Ruger for replacement. I lost one at the range but had a replacement at home. Took it out and shot a few rounds and thought it was ok. Last week thought I would fire off 30-40 rounds just to make sure. Right off the pin started creeping out. Strange thing, if I want to remove the pin I need a screw driver. Fire a few rounds and out it comes.

13. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

The Kahr CT 380 is excellent. Never had a problem. Easy shooter. Great trigger. Accurate. My favorite 380. Fire off all 8 rounds in a couple of seconds. I don't think you will be disappointed. I carry it in summer with shorts. Easy to Hide inside my belt with a small holster

14. drillnow

drillnow New Member

LCP Takedown pin

I am a little late to this but also new to this forum. I have read of this problem and with a new LCP CUSTOM, I came across the site listed below. I guess it was just piece of mind for me as it is relatively cheap. It is easily removed once it is unlocked. Unlocking is not a problem with your fingernail a dime or a shell casing. I was told that the CUSTOM has a stronger pin but this one is steel. Just my view. Mine is new and now have over 300+ rounds without a problem.
    https://www.tandemkross.com/Tool-less-Takedown-Pin-for-LCP_p_106.html

15. louchia

louchia Member

Actually, that pin buy tandemkross does not really work. The larger deeper notch appears to be a good idea BUT, as the gun is fired and cycles, the pin rotates. Because the notch is not cut all around, it reaches a point where it may and sometimes does back out. As I have shown in my original post, Ruger came up with a fix.
    If you are having a problem, call Ruger. They have GREAT CS. They will fix it. Perhaps by just sending you a new pin. If you have to send in the gun because of a defect, all shipping and fixing charges are on them.

16. drillnow

drillnow New Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We all have opinions. I am not sure you have really tried that pin as there is only a notch on one side, that notch is what "locks" on the spring and the pin will not rotate if you have correctly installed it in the "lock" position. The lock position is easily seen on the head of the pin, exposed on the outside of the weapon! Reason if the pin is properly installed and in the lock position it can "not" rotate. I have seen on many sites Ruger had problems with the front sight falling off and pin breaking! My sight fell off after 200 rounds because it is just a point shoot weapon I took off the rear sight.(My opinion this is a point and shoot, not a match shooting pistol) Ruger said they would replace but would take 3 days even if I bought the LCP to them. Their NC production plant is about in my backyard. I don't have a dog in this race, I know this "STEEL" pin works when properly installed! As I say we all have opinions, this is just mine.

17. louchia

louchia Member