LCP Stove Pipe

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by RogerRuger, Dec 12, 2014.

1. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

Had LCP for a couple of years. I usually have it an ankle holster. Run a couple of mags every few months. I use Hornady FTX 90 gr. my question and some help from the experts out there. Why this week fail to extract and stove pipes every few rounds? Now I don't trust it. So, any suggestions as to why and any correction ideas? Thanks

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Sometimes a faulty magazine can cause this. If you haven't already then try another mag and see if same thing happens. Also I have had this happen if the mag is not fully locked in place.

3. firefox

firefox New Member

Most likely a Mag issue, or mag not locked all the way into place. Lcp mag can trick you some times. Best of luck!

4. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

Sounds like a good place to start. I have four mags and will try them all. Hopefully I can get to the range this week. Thanks

5. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

Update went to the range today. Discovered the extractor has the corner chipped or worn. Either way appears I need to replace. This should fix my problem.

6. bmcwatson

bmcwatson New Member

Another thing that can cause this is inserting the recoil spring in backwards. I had the same issue. Took the LCP apart and there it was. This is actually very easy to do with the LCP. Just a heads up for all don't be in a hurry when you're reassembling your LCP.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hello bmcwatson,

Welcome to RugerTalk,

Thanks for joining,
    Its tradition here, to go to Introductions, and introduce your self,

Thanks

Jim

8. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

Thanks for info. Sent it to Ruger. They sent me a NEW LCP. it does not extract the shell either. Not the first round. When gun returns or I get another LCP, I will post.

9. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

Another LCP from Ruger ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1426355532.858164.jpg will go to range this week. I hope this one ejects properly. I really like this gun. I will report with results later this week.

10. Timbermart

Timbermart New Member

Thanks for the post. Let us know how it turns out.

11. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

Range report. New gun worked perfect. No issues Easy gun to shoot. Smooth trigger pull. Nice sights but this one has laser. Easy to keep on target. I love it. It will be my back-up somewhere. Ankle or pocket or Inside waist.

12. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

I had that exact problem! Couldn't figure why it kept jamming on me. I finally went over it meticulously and found the tiniest corner chip on the extractor lower corner. Replaced the extractor (I think it was $2 ?) and it is back to being flawless.