LCP Question

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by robhic, Dec 1, 2013.

1. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

A while back I bought a used LCP with a LaserLyte laser installed on the right hand side of the pistol. I like the little gun and the laser (when it worked :mad:) was fun but not something I'd rely on. OK, here's the question:

The other day the head of the takedown pin (to separate the grip and slide) broke off ... right behind the little spring that holds it in place! So now I have the body of the pin stuck in the gun not allowing me to get it out and disassemble the gun for complete cleaning.

I tried holding the spring down with a pick and shaking the broken piece out -- no luck. Had my daughter smack the gun with a small mallet while I pushed the spring down -- no luck. Hmmm, what to do?

The laser covers the opposite side of the pistol and (of course) one of the allen screws that hold it in is stripped so I can't take it off. I want to know if the hole the takedown pin goes through goes all the way to the other side, so that if I take the laser off, will I be able to knock the broken part out with a punch?

The laser stopped working so if I have to mess it up, no problem. But if the hole doesn't go all the way through, that won't help me anyway. So, can anyone with an LCP with the R/H side clear tell me if the takedown pin hole is open on that side? I might need to resort to drilling a small hole :)() and knocking the broken pin out with a very small punch. Don't want to do that, but it may be my only choice. Thanks for any information!

2. realultpwr

realultpwr New Member

On my LC9 the right side has a stop so the pin does not slide out that side, similar guns so I'm pretty sure your LCP will have the same set up. When I disassemble mine I just slide a small eyeglass screw driver from right side to the left to take the pin out. Hope this helps

3. maineultraclassic

maineultraclassic New Member

The take down pin doesn't go all the way thru to the other side of the slide, so there is no way to easily push it out.

I would try moving the slide back about 1/8 to 1/4" to take pressure off it, push the spring up, and try getting it with maybe a small magnet or banging it somehow.

Or, as a last resort............send it back to Ruger and let them deal with it.

Steve

4. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

The pin in the LCP had a head (like a tack) on it and that was what broke off. Now just the shaft is in the gun and that's what I need to remove. Thanks for trying! :)

5. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

That's what I was afraid of. :(

Moved the slide but moving the spring arm up would put it directly in the way. It needs to go down to clear the broken shaft of the pin. Banging and magnet were, so far, ineffective. :(

I have a friend who does gunsmithing and CC classes. I may end up getting him to look at it. He's got the machine tools I think will be needed if the hand tools I have don't work and work soon. Thanks for the info.

6. maineultraclassic

I bought a couple of extra pins from Ruger, if I see any cracking I'm going to replace the pin for sure.

But if it breaks like yours did, that's going to be a bitch to fix.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Steve

7. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

I ordered 2 pins and a set of recoil springs (still in shipment). I'm gonna try to epoxy a screw or stick to the broken pin, let it dry and see if I can just get it past that spring. If not, then I gotta talk to my friend the gunsmith/CC permit guy. Then probably back to Ruger if he can't get it out ....

8. maineultraclassic

A very small dab of JB weld on the end of a small bolt, let it dry, then it will pull out for sure.

Just be very very sure that the JB Weld doesn't touch anything else in there........that would suck, but always cleanable.

Steve

9. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

I looked at it and the broken edge is mostly flush with the housing so keeping the glue off shouldn't be a problem. The problem is that the spring is about 1/3 up the face of the pin so it leaves little room for glue without gluing spring, too. :(

Looks like my options are my boy and his skills or a trip back to AZ. I need to see if I can ship directly from home (I have no FFL license) or get it shipped from and back TO someone who does (my boy has a FFL license). This is according to the manual sent with the gun. I need to check LA's laws.

At least the gun can be used. I just can't disassemble for a full cleaning. I can clean the barrel from the front and some lube on the slide rails if needed. Probably no big deal for a while.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  10. maineultraclassic

It is my understanding from reading online...........you can ship a gun back to Ruger, and Ruger can ship it directly back to you. No FFL is needed, or any other people need to be involved. Call Ruger, tell them what happened, they will send you a return label. You ship out the gun, they fix it, then return it direct to you.

Steve

11. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

That's entirely possible, I'm just going by what they said in the manual. And I did send a Glock back to GA for repair direct and they sent it back to me, direct so FFL is probably not an issue.

But I talked to my boy the gunsmith/CC permit teacher and he said he thought they could handle it. I'm gonna be in his area tomorrow so I'm going to see him at his shop. He's got a gun show this weekend so I'll just leave it unless they have some magic :D and can get that piece out while I'm there (not counting on it...).

After I get it back (tomorrow or whenever) I'll follow up again.

12. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

Got my LCP back today. Not as easy as everyone had thought. He (the gunsmith) had to use a drill press and a special device (sorta like an easy-out for broken screws) to pull the broken pin shaft from the gun. Didn't take long, just was a bit tedious.

Then he removed the broken laser (it never worked right from the time I obtained the LCP and laser, used, 6 months or so ago) because the previous owner used either red LocTite or some type glue to hold the screws and it was TIGHT!!! Got it all done, cleaned up and right.

I put a Hogue rubber grip on the gun to make that small grip a bit easier to hold (it is SMALL) and looks like all it needs now is a bit of shooting! :D

All's well that ends well, I guess.

13. JoeH54

JoeH54 New Member

There is a youtube video addressing this exact issue.