1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased yesterday.

All the video reviews were good. No one mentioned the problems with:

Chambering the first round.

Occasionally will not seat properly. I have to manually push it in the remainder of the way.

Failure to eject a round manually.

It will eject spent rounds when shooting — but every time I try to eject a live round it sits in the receiver and the slide locks back. I have to remove the magazine and then the live round falls down through the magazine well.

I’m disappointed and will likely return it tomorrow.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Since this is your first post and we did not get an intro from you, and I don't know if this is your 1st gun or your 100th, everything you mentioned sounds like user error.

Occasionally will not seat properly. I have to manually push it in the remainder of the way.
Are you riding the slide home or giving it a good slingshot to take that first-round home?

It will eject spent rounds when shooting — but every time I try to eject a live round it sits in the receiver and the slide locks back. I have to remove the magazine and then the live round falls down through the magazine well.
How fast are you pulling back on the slide? Ruger uses smaller, less pronounced ejectors, which is fine, but the case/cartridge has to impact the ejector with more velocity to get it to actually be kicked out of the gun. Why would you be manually ejecting rounds out of the gun without first pulling the mag? If there is no mag in the gun, it is not a failure of the gun for the round in the chamber to fall out of the mag well as you ease the slide back to try and catch a live round.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I’ve carried professionally my adult life.

Yes. I slingshot it forward. Regularly it does not chamber the round and I have to assist it.

This gun has notable chambering problems. A Google search demonstrates that. Unfortunately all the videos watched do not mention that.

If I was in a gun fight and experienced a misfire, I wouldn’t want to drop the magazine to eject the misfired round. Any round should spring out from the opening.

Additionally the slide locks to the rear when manually ejecting a round.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’ve carried professionally my adult life.

Yes. I slingshot it forward. Regularly it does not chamber the round and I have to assist it.

This gun has notable chambering problems. A Google search demonstrates that. Unfortunately all the videos watched do not mention that.

If I was in a gun fight and experienced a misfire, I wouldn’t want to drop the magazine to eject the misfired round. Any round should spring out from the opening.

Additionally the slide locks to the rear when manually ejecting a round.
What ammo are you using? Just to be sure I'd check the case mouth dimensions on your ammo to see if they're not oversized.

Why? Because one day much to my surprise I had chambering and ejection issues using Prvi Partizan FMJ ammo with a 10mm longslide Glock clone. So I switched over to Prvi Partizan JHP and my chambering and ejection issues magically went away. This kind of stupefied me because typically it's the hollow points that produce chambering issues and not FMJ ammo, so when I got home from the range I mic'd up the FMJ case mouths and by golly they were all .002"-.004" oversize. These rounds could physically be pushed into the chamber by hand but became so tight in the chamber after firing that it negatively effected ejection of the empty cases.

'Hope you get the issue(s) resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same issue after purchasing it new. Also had problems with feeding. Sent it in and they replaced the slide. haven had a chance to fire it after the fix. But in testing the feeding and ejection, feeds fine, but won’t eject an unfired cart. Same issue as you. Have to drop the magazine to get it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just purchased the 380 max and fired 250 rds so far. I have not had first round feed issues, either by slingshot or slide release. However, manually ejecting rounds takes strong grip and energetic pull. You will notice that if you pull the slide back slowly, at the end of the pull there is a click when the ejector engages. This must take place for the round to eject and it takes much more force than most guns. If it doesn't hit the ejector hard enough, the round will stick in the chamber as you describe and you have to drop the mag and pop it out the bottom. It is usually too jammed to eject upward. My slide doesn't lock back as you descrobe and I have to manually lock it back to clear the stuck round. At first I thought this was a defect but tried it with dummy rounds on another 380 Max at the gun shop and it does the same thing. So it seems to be a characteristic of the Max. I don't see it as a major problem as the gun ejects fine with forced blow back when live firing. After several pulls on the newly designed/sharper slide serrations, I had to glove up. But pulling hard and fast ejected the rounds. I think it works easier after the 250 round breakin too. Not sure this is the same as your issues... Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts