Lcp II problems

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Morganfd9, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Morganfd9

Morganfd9 New Member

Finally got to shoot the Lcp II , very disappointed in it overall.

FTF on the first round everytime, FTE basically every other round. And that’s with multiple brands of ammo, wwb, umc, Silvertips, and critical defense.
    The finish on the slide, dunno what it is but it marks up very easily and shows scratches.

The mag spring appears to be weak, at least more so than anyone I’ve ever seen. The extractor and chamber already has rust showing on them (and I haven’t even carried it yet) and the magazine base plate fell off for no apparent reason.

Overall this is the absolute worst firearm I’ve ever owned, I almost bought an RM instead, wish now that I had. [​IMG]

I’m going to call Ruger and ask for a refund, doubt I get one though.

I definitely don’t want another lcp II in exchange, I’ve had my feel of them already.

Completely disgusted [​IMG]

2. Morganfd9

Morganfd9 New Member

Are they’re any .380 handguns that aren’t mass produced ?

3. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Never heard of a custom 380!

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I have a Gen II LCP. Replaced the guide rod (SS) & spring and added a grip sleeve. The thing is flawless now. It's smaller than the LCP II. I would ask for one of those in exchange.

5. 71magna

71magna New Member

Where did you get your replacements from? My LCP have the same issues

6. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Use Wolffe brand springs and guide rod I purchased from ebay as a package.

nadz and 71magna like this.
  7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Sig P238.
    They are mass produced but I understand they are very accurate for their size and Reliable.
    I'm also told Sig has very good customer service.

8. louchia

louchia Member

The Sig P238 , 380 and P938. 9mm are very much the same. Both are very reliable but a little costly compared to Ruger. They are very well made and reliable. Sig CS is very good.
    My Lcp II has been very reliable. 1500 rnds. and no issues. Slso Ruger CS is VERY good.

9. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I do believe if I was to again carry a 380 it would be the Sig P238. I have shot one and it is accurate shooting with minimal recoil. It feels good in hand, looks good and its size still is fairly easy to conceal. Yeah it costs perhaps around double what the LCP II costs. Sometimes when you go for cheap you get a cheaper product as well. It seems the LCP II has had many problems reported.

I just had my LC9s in for trigger fail to reset on first round firing and it had under 500 rounds through it. They replaced sear and slide lock springs. I feel that with under 500 rounds that no parts should have failed so quickly. Good thing was it was only one week turn around time to have my gun back to me repaired. Ruger has excellent customer service.

I wonder how many rounds till this gun fails again? I find it hard to depend on a gun for SD when instead of a click/bang I hear nothing. I will stick to using my revolvers for SD carry.

10. louchia

louchia Member

If you like the P238 you will also like the P938. Then you can stay with 9mm. I have about 1300 rnds through mine and no issues.
    Yes the Sig cost more, but do I need 2 Ruger? One for a back up.

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You have a point there.^

12. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The Sig 938 was one of my most favorite and most hated handguns. As a 9 mm it was a good one. I had the 938-22 conversion as well. As a 22 it just sucked. I was able to sell it for almost as much as I had in it. Used the proceeds to buy a KAHR MK9 and some accessories. One of the best moves I have ever made.

I do like Ruger products. In Semi Auto like the SR1911 and the MKII. I want to like the MKIV but will not buy one because of the magazine disconnect, one of the most unsafe things a semi automatic can have. (At competition on the command of "show clear, hammer down" you drop your mag, rack the slide to assure a clear chamber, then have to re-insert a magazine to drop the hammer. How safe is that?) I do have a Ruger American Compact and a LCP II. The American is built like a tank and the LCP II is surprising accurate. Both are extremely reliable. Zero malfunctions with the LCP II and the only malfunction with the American was a bad magazine that Ruger replaced for me. My LCPII has between 1000 and 1500 rounds through it the American has well over 5000 through it. I hear lots of complaints about the polymer Rugers. Maybe I got the only two good ones????

The Ruger revolvers are where it's at though. I really like the things, both DA and SA. My last revolver purchase though was the Kimber K6S. The K6S is remarkably like the Wiley Clapp SP101, but with an extra round and a shrouded hammer. I am where I want to be with handguns now until Ruger releases the SP101 Match Champion in 327 Federal Magnum.

13. louchia

louchia Member

As I mentioned earlier, I like the II and think it is now a reliable firearm. I think Ruger got the bugs out . As mentioned by greg,
    it is accurate as well. Over all I think it is a good gun for EDC. in .380.
    I was never one for conversion kits unless you are ready to accept reliability problems as the norm.

14. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The reliability problems with the Sig 938-22 was basically the way the last round hold open worked. The slide caught on the magazine follower. To drop the magazine you had to pull the slide the rest of the way to the rear, lock it open, then drop the magazine. It was a bit finnicky at first but ran well after breaking in. I probably would of kept it if the slide just didn't lock back and simply went home.

15. louchia

louchia Member

If that's all the issue you had, I would say that it is a little irritating but I could deal with it.

16. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Why would you keep something that irritates you?

It's probably the best move I have ever made as far as replacing something. The MK9 is heads and shoulders above the P938 in my opinion.Same capacity, better accuracy, less recoil. It is a bit heavier than the Sig, about 7 ounces, but that's a concession I will gladly take to have a stainless steel frame over an anodized aluminum frame.
    53233d1316226290-kahr-mk9-elite-what-your-thoughts-thum_19647af26ae72b7f.jpg

17. louchia

louchia Member

I've heard good things about the MK9. 70z more is a breaker for me. My sSig has proven to be very reliable 9mm, light enough and concealable enough for EDC, even under a T shirt.

18. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

T
    The 938 is definitely a good one. My gripe is only with the 938-22. I wanted it for an understudy for the 9mm 938. It just really was not. On a rating of 1 to 5 stars, I would give both the 938 and the MK9 six stars!

Just for info, Springfield makes a copy of the P238 called the 911. Magazines, and most other parts from my understanding are interchangeable. The Springfield mags are about 1/2 the price of the Sig mags. I understand a copy of the 938 is forthcoming. Might be worth looking out for.

What holster do you use and how do you prefer to carry your 938?

louchia likes this.