LCP II--Here We Go Again.....

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by boscobarbell, Mar 6, 2017.

1. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

At the advice of the members here, I didn't sell my LCP II after it was returned from Ruger with a number of replacement parts. Instead, I headed off to the range today with 4 or 5 different types of ammo to see how it was running after the repair work.

The result? Just as big a disaster as the last time. Failures to extract/eject at least once per magazine (and these cases are very, very difficult to clear..most times, the spent casing is still partially lodged in the muzzle).

So, to recap:

1) My first LCP II...goes back to Ruger because the disassembly pin walks out after 30 or so rounds. Ruger decides to destroy it and send me a new one.
    2) My second LCP II has at least one FTE every magazine. Ruger asks for it back. Insists they can fix it, and reject my request for a refund/credit.
    3) My LCP II returns "repaired"...except it failures just as frequently and IN EXACTLY THE SAME WAY as it did before I sent it back.

So...it's already boxed up and ready to go back to Ruger again. And, again, I've made known my wishes that I want a refund/replacement. I DO NOT trust this design for self-protection.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I believe I read somewhere that after a product has been returned for the same problem x amount of times then the manufacturer is to replace or exchange the item. Check your state laws concerning warranty rights.

I had a PC that was nothing but trouble and I had taken it back for repairs 5 times. The fifth time I asked to see a store manager, not a department manager, and a man in a suit standing near me said he was a store manager and what was the problem. I told him I had the PC back for the fifth time for warranty repairs and what is going to happen when the warranty expires? Should I take it to your parking lot and smash it into tiny pieces?
    He told me to bring the original box and contents and I could exchange it for any PC of equal value. You make a big enough stink then you might get an exchange this time. Sometimes you have to climb the ladder. I wouldn't stop till I got satisfied.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

bosco, I don't recall if anyone asked you about 'limpwristing'. If you mount the gun in a vise, does it fail to cycle?

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^ Good for you. ^^
    You'll be helping Ruger (in the long run) if you keep after them with it.
    It won't be long till they've spent more on shipping and shop time than what a refund would've cost them.
    Hopefully somebody at Ruger will finally realize they gotta get these things right the first time!

Like buster said.... "I wouldn't stop till I got satisfied".

Please keep us informed.

5. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

I'm familiar with the phenomenon, but I can assure you that I'm not doing it. I shoot other micros all the time, often at the same time that I'm shooting these Rugers, and never have these problems.

edited to add: And I should point out that my first LCP II worked like a dream...until the disassembly pin walked out every time I put more than 30 or so rounds though it. I think that's pretty convincing evidence that I'm not limp-wristing the current one.

I appreciate the assistance, though....

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Did you try changing magazines? Forgive me if this question has already been answered and I missed it.

7. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Man, that LCP hates you. I hope Ruger finally makes it right.

8. louchia

louchia Member

When the pin is about to walk out and a rnd is fired, there is a violent action with the slide, barrel and pin. That being so, it is very possible that something was knocked out of spec. if it wasn't already out.
    I think the pin walking out, assuming you set the pin correctly, indicates a problem. Always ask for a new gun.

9. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

Ruger replaced the magazine as part of the last "fix." No luck.

10. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

That first Ruger LCP II is long gone...destroyed by Ruger when I sent it back.

I'm on to a second LCP II now, which is on its way back to Ruger for the second time.

11. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

I traded for a NIB LCP II.

Unlike a new LCR, I can pull the trigger on a LCP II with ease.

I'd rather have 9mm or 38+P power, but the tiny Rugers hide where my
    PPS M2 can't.

Ruger's new ARX ammo is interesting.

I think that expanding .380 and sufficient penetration are a myth.

The ARX wil not expand and it seems to penetrate as much as other
    defensive .380 or maybe more.

This will be a BUG to my 9mms.

12. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

I'm intrigued by the ARX ammo, but worried that it would be insufficiently hard to penetrate bone. Have you seen any testing that answers that question?

I'm a big fan of the Underwood Extreme Defender ammo, which seems similar, albeit with a harder bullet that seems barrier-proof. The Underwoods can be tricky to feed, depending upon your pistol, though.

13. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

No. I don't think .380 will pen bone either. Not much weight or velocity.

14. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

UPDATE: I was called by Ruger today. They are offering an upgrade to another Ruger pistol or a full refund of the purchase price of my (original) LCP II. I confirmed with the rep that the LCP Custom is still available, but I am also in the market for something in 40 cal, so the SR40c has caught my mind.

Regardless of which way I go (replacement or refund) I'm pleased with Ruger customer service and the way they have addressed my concerns.

15. buster40c

Yep Ruger service is number one for customer satisfaction. I have the Sr40c and it is one of my favorites. Mine did go back to Ruger for a light strike problem I believe it was. The SR C series in 9 and 40 had this problem but Ruger corrected the problems as far as I know. Mine functioned fine when I got it back. If I hadn't gone to the LCR I would probably still be carrying the SR40c.
    I did just buy an LC9s and it is a good little pocket gun. It has a really smooth and light trigger. I got it for $312 otd on a sale. It seems very well made. Bang for the buck it seems to be a top contender.

16. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I had a light strike'n SR9c... We shipped back to Ruger three times!
    Looking at the primer indentions, I could not see a difference after repair.

During the third trip back to Ruger I asked for (demanded) a refund, they refused.
    I must admit my attitude was 'poor' when dealing with them that third time.

Guess I should've kept at 'em but this was to be a SD carry gun. I'd lost all confidence in it and was tired of spending time and ammo on testing.
    I hope it was fixed cause I sold it without firing a shot after the LAST time it was returned... :RantOff:

17. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I've been carrying an SR40c for awhile, one I've owned for a year or so. It's concealable under light clothing, reliable, and even looks good.

18. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

Good to hear some positive feedback on the SR40c.

Ruger confirmed the deal today...they'll ship me the .40 as a replacement for the LCP II, and my only expense is that I'll have to pony up the transfer fee. I agreed, and asked for the stainless steel model.

Although my search for a pocket pistol will have to continue, I'm quite pleased that Ruger stepped up and took care of a dissatisfied customer. They have a fan for life.

I'll provide updates on this as it moves to resolution, and then will provide a range report on my new .40 pistol. Looking forward to it.

19. buster40c

I am surprised that Ruger gave you a more expensive gun as a replacement, Now that's customer service.

20. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

Agreed. They told me that their actual cost differential was around $70 (which surprised me...seems low). Typically they would refund the transfer fee for a replacement gun (as they did on my first LCP II replacement), but they were willing to consider it a wash if I handled that fee this time.

Like I said, very impressive.