LCP II--Disassembly Pin Walks Out

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by boscobarbell, Jan 4, 2017.

1. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

Hey, all. New to the forum, and new to Ruger.

My new LCP II is an awesome little pistol...feeds whatever I throw at it, pleasant to shoot for a micro, and is more accurate that I will ever be.

But, right out of the box, the disassembly pin walks out after a few dozen rounds, causing the pistol not to cycle properly. The first time really freaked me out, but after taking it home and disassembling it, it seemed to cycle perfectly. The next trip to the range I put less than 50 rounds through it, and it was fine.

Today, I fired almost 100 rounds through it, and when I got a FTF I quickly ascertained the the disassembly pin had walked out again.

Is this a known issue on these pistols? I know the original LCP had this problem (there are aftermarket pins available that claim to cure the malfunction), but I thought it had been addressed in the new generation.

Also: Is this an issue with the LC9, too? I was eyeing one as my EDC, but now I'm second-guessing my choice....

2. allenr

allenr Member

It was not an issue on my Lc9 Nd it is not on my LC9s.

I do not own a Lcp II. But my guess is that the pin is undersized in diameter. The pin on my LC9s is really a tight fit. I have to push very hard to remove it. I suggest you call Ruger customer service and tell them about it. Ask them to send you a new pin. They are very accommodating.

3. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

Thanks for the advice. I contacted Ruger, and within 10 minutes I had a FedEx shipping label to return the pistol for their inspection/repair. Awesome customer service!

And that's good to hear re the LC9. If it shoots anything like the LCP II, it's definitely a bargain at the current price point.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk,

Thanks for joining ,

Jim

5. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

There was a problem with the LCP and they fixed it with a redesigned pin. Yours is probably out of spec.

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Welcome to the forum!
    :welcome:

7. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

I'd heard about this problem with the LCP, but hadn't seen anything mentioned about the LCP II.

It seems odd that they would do a pistol redesign and not fix a problem that had plagued the original. So my guess is that you are right...something is out of spec. Either the pin was cast/machined a tad too small, or the little tension bar meant to keep it seated isn't doing its job.

I'll post back when Ruger tells me what went wrong.

8. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

I think it's worth adding that, other than the times the pin walked out, my pistol has NEVER had a single malfunction, regardless of the ammo I used or how dirty it has gotten.

I have high hopes that this will end up being a great carry pistol once the pin issues gets sorted out.

9. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Welcome to the forum from sunny Az. :welcome:

Tommy

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome to R/T from Texas :tiphat:

:GadsdenFlag:

12. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

So...I just got an email from Ruger. They have examined my LCP II, and reached the determination that they need to replace my firearm. That was definitely NOT what I was expecting.

I appreciate their quick turnaround and willingness to directly deal with the issue. I just emailed back, though, asking if I would be would be expected to pay the FFL transfer fee. I'd hate to have to cough up more $$$ because I was sold a pistol that failed to function as intended.

13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I've never heard of Ruger making someone pay anything for repairs or replacement.

You're probably going to be OK cause Ruger's warranty kicks butt. ;)
    (And makes some of the others look bad).

Let us know how they do on this one.......

:GadsdenFlag:

14. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum. Ruger will correct it for sure.

15. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Ruger must have duplicated the malfunction in test fire. The pistol should be destroyed by the manufacturer after complete analysis. As for the FFL fee they might send a few free accessories to cover the minimal cost of the transfer.

16. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

My experience with them has been top-notch so far (as opposed to, say, Taurus :mad:). I'll keep you guys posted on how it all resolves.

17. allenr

allenr Member

My guess is that they determined the pin is not the problem. If it were Ruger would just send a new pin
    That would only leave the milling of the pin socket at fault. Probably out of tolerance. Can't fix that any other way but a new gun.

18. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

Yeah. I'm no engineer, but that was pretty much the way I was looking at it, too.

19. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

So...another update.

Ruger got back to me, and informed me that I will be asked to pay the FFL transfer fee, but that they will reimburse me for up to $50 if I submit my receipt for the transaction.

I am blown away by this level of customer service. Ruger has certainly earned a first look the next time I'm looking to fill a niche in my firearm collection.

20. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

And the trend continues..... :rayoff:
    Funny story.
    A while back in a sporting goods store I talked with a man all set to buy a Ruger or another brand.
    Just so happened I'd recently needed customer support with that "other" brand. (Horrible CS)!
    That man is now the proud owner of a new Ruger.... Wonder if it's something I said..... :dunno:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017