Ruger Talk Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
.22lr pistols have not gotten any respect in the last few years. However, try finding one now in inventory at a decent price. Many new women shooters are starting out with them because they are recoil sensitive.
Thanks to minimal recoil and the relatively afforable pricing of firearms chambered in .22LR, both these things will appeal to new shooters, especially women. And the more people involved in the shooting sports the better it is for us all.

I've been able to build up a substantial number of .22LR suppressor hosts that has allowed me casual and quiet target shooting on my own property whenever I'm in the mood, without having to travel 20+ miles to an indoor range facility.

I'm greatful that numerous manufacturers have been introducing new .22LR handgun models that are reasonably priced, and that are being made out of more modern materials that are lighter in weight - and work surprisingly well. Even Taurus, with their TX22 entry, has had great success, so much so that they recently introduced their TX 22 Competition model with SA only trigger, 5" threaded bull barrel, and optic mount. Some may find it hard to hear or read the words "Taurus" and "Competition" used together in the same sentence, but this new offering from Taurus isn't meant to replace dedicated $2.5K+ Olympic competition pistols, but is instead meant to offer the common man or woman an affordable pistol that can be used for casual target shooting, critter control, or just plain old fun:

Taurus TX22 Competition pistol...

Some may consider this sacrilege, especially on a website dedicated to Ruger firearms, but I enjoy shooting my Taurus TX22 pistol more than I do my Ruger Mark series pistols. The fact that this pistol costs $200+ less than a new Ruger Mark IV and utilizes 16 round factory magazines - is purely academic.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think the Ruger LCP II .22LR is a good choice of a compact single stack 10 +1 magazine or the Ruger LCPII .380 6+1 or 7+1 concealable self defense pistol .Like with any fire arm you should practice shooting it a drill I do is to draw and fire 3 shots (LCP II .22LR ) with the .380 2 shots into a target placed 0-21 feet or 0-7 yards away my target is an atomically correct Head & Torso target mounted on a 1x1 ,2x2 ,2x4, 5' 1/2 feet long I start with one target and then add targets in close to represent multiple attackers. One drill is what I call the Robbery attackers drill One target is 5 yards or 15 'feet away Second target is 3 yards or 9' feet third target is 1 yard or 3 feet away The drill starts with me throwing my wallet into the face of the 1 yard target drawing and fire three shots into the torso of all 3 targets as fast as I can. I do this drill two ways standing up and one drill sitting in the car with the door open to represent a car in the parking lot when confronted by 3 attackers when you can keep a 2 or 3 inch group on the targets you are ready and prepared to defend yourself. I strongly recommend the Hogue handall Beaver tail grip sleeve as an addition and a good quality holster for concealed carry of this firearm and I also recommend the CCI Velocitor 40 Grain copper plated hollow points as they are the fastest most accurate 40 grain hollow point on the market ,they hit hard penetrate deep .

Birchwood Casey Silhouette Torso 3D Target- 3 Pack- Mounting Tab, For an Unique Range Target Experience.

• 3D Face And Torso With Mounting Tab
    • Lightweight And Can Be Used In Most Shooting Ranges.
    • Provides A Unique Range Shooting Experience.
    • Dims: 21.5" H X 14' W X 4.7" D
    • Quantity Of 3/Pk Made Of Recycled Material.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022495612
The holes can be covered with wide masking tape giving long life use of the target they can be painted also .

.22 LR

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks to minimal recoil and the relatively afforable pricing of firearms chambered in .22LR, both these things will appeal to new shooters, especially women. And the more people involved in the shooting sports the better it is for us all.

I've been able to build up a substantial number of .22LR suppressor hosts that has allowed me casual and quiet target shooting on my own property whenever I'm in the mood, without having to travel 20+ miles to an indoor range facility.

I'm greatful that numerous manufacturers have been introducing new .22LR handgun models that are reasonably priced, and that are being made out of more modern materials that are lighter in weight - and work surprisingly well. Even Taurus, with their TX22 entry, has had great success, so much so that they recently introduced their TX 22 Competition model with SA only trigger, 5" threaded bull barrel, and optic mount. Some may find it hard to hear or read the words "Taurus" and "Competition" used together in the same sentence, but this new offering from Taurus isn't meant to replace dedicated $2.5K+ Olympic competition pistols, but is instead meant to offer the common man or woman an affordable pistol that can be used for casual target shooting, critter control, or just plain old fun:

Taurus TX22 Competition pistol...

Some may consider this sacrilege, especially on a website dedicated to Ruger firearms, but I enjoy shooting my Taurus TX22 pistol more than I do my Ruger Mark series pistols. The fact that this pistol costs $200+ less than a new Ruger Mark IV and utilizes 16 round factory magazines - is purely academic.
I want to buy one of these Taurus TX 22 Pistols they are nice I also like the Ruger SR 22 Pistols both are very hard to find these days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi DrewBone #1 I am not trying to impress anyone here. I have used a hand gun to defend myself twice .45ACP & 9mm in combat both my attackers died of their wounds both were one shot stops at close quarters . I never advocated carrying a Hand cannon . I was simply relaying my personal experience you don't need to worry about caliber of your hand gun but to just be proficient with it and be able to place your shot into a vital organ with speed accuracy and shot placement. ,In Greg's Conclusion he said " The results I got from the study lead me to believe that there really isn’t that much difference between most defensive handgun rounds and calibers. None is a death ray, but most work adequately…even the lowly .22s. I’ve stopped worrying about trying to find the “ultimate” bullet. There isn’t one. And I’ve stopped feeling the need to strap on my .45 every time I leave the house out of fear that my 9mm doesn’t have enough “stopping power.” Folks, carry what you want. Caliber really isn’t all that important." I agree with him !
i agree with that to

41 - 47 of 47 Posts