LCP Custom .380 Magazines

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by cas0586, Sep 2, 2016.

1. cas0586

cas0586 New Member

Hey guys. First post here but not new to forums in general. I just ordered a LCP Custom .380 and wanted to order a spare magazine or two. I see that ProMag offers a magazine for the LCP. The reviews seem to be somewhat hit or miss on majority of sites. They ProMag magazines seem to be right around half the cost of the factory Ruger magazines. So, that being said has anyone here purchased the ProMag magzianes for the LCP and what is your impressions of them? Thanks!

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

There is something wrong at ProMag HQ. They don't seem to care whether or not the product functions. The LCP is an SD gun - period. Reliability matters way more in a self defense gun than in a range/hunting gun.

So. I haven't purchased a ProMag magazine for the LCP and my impression of Promag magazines is that they suck pond water.

3. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Why take the risk for $10?

4. cas0586

cas0586 New Member

Well, I guess this thread was moved as I did not make a proper introduction? Anyways, the LCP Custom .380 will be my second Ruger firearm next to the a SR1911 .45. I have many others, but hey this is a Ruger forum.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I guess I'd just buy the Ruger mags.never been a fan of promag in general.

BTW, welcome to RugerTalk!
    We like all guns, not just rugers!

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T !!

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk,

Jim

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Welcome to RT. Like VT said, the LCP is for CC protection and you don't want to compromise your protection for a few bucks.

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Over at the Bersa forum those guys are really closed minded. They do not like anything that isn't Bersa, even stuff not related to guns! They especially bad mouth other brands of magazines for the Thunder too. I purchased a ProMag at almost half the price of OEM and it works fine never a problem, but my Bersa is not for CCW.

You can always buy one ProMag for range duty if it's cheap enough knowing that an LCP is not a range gun anyway. 100 rounds with it and you are done for the day.

10. cas0586

cas0586 New Member

Correct. The mags can be used at the range so not reloading as often. The LCP is certainly not a range gun but that does not mean you don't practice with it at all. I was looking for opinions from those who have tried them. It is not always about saving money. Some times you get what you pay for for certain. Whenever something is priced almost 50% less you have to question why. It could simply mean the name brand is over priced or the ProMags are just junk. I have bought plenty of inexpensive things that have proven to be quality products vs a name brand. Though I did not depend on them to save my life. My EDC is a S&W Shield and I have only purchased S&W mags for it. They are pretty inexpensive as is though. Primarily want the LCP for 'deep' concealment.

11. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

ProMags did not work in my LCP. Wasted money trying to save a few dollars.

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome,
    I'm sure somebody somewhere has tried ProMag in the LCP.
    Maybe they'll speak up.

Edit....
    Oops, Didn't see that last post. There you go.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  13. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

LCPs are on sale at Palmetto State Armory for $199 today. If I didn't already have one I would buy it.

14. JRH

JRH New Member

I had heard that ProMags have feed issues. I found this out for myself with my Ruger 380 custom.