Ruger Talk Forums banner

Lcp .380

13K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  wham 
#1 ·
i work in security and have for 12 years now, mostly armed posts.
i never go anywhere without my little LCP. i keep a hollow point
round in the chamber, and full metal jacket rounds in the magazine.
i would highly recommend that all owners get the little magazine
extension shaped like a hook, it really helps your grip. i have
convinced all of my female relatives and friends to get one, and
then i teach them how to shoot it. they are all good shots (center
of center mass) at both 7 and 15 feet, and they will not hesitate to
defend themselves by any means necessary. an excellent
personal defense pistol.

#4 ·
I also keep an LCP with me about all the time but I would never use FMJ ammo in a SD firearm, even with a .380.
We are responsible for those shots where ever they end up and looking at the ballistic tests of FMJ over penetration is a real issue.
I have shot right through some old barn walls that were torn down with a FMJ .380. The HP SD loads didn't even come close but they still get about 10-12''of penetration in ballistics gel(from what I have read).
There are some videos on youtube where a .380 FMJ go all the way through the gel and it was 16'' deep.
But back to the LCP's.... I have had one for a few years and just purchased another. Awesome little guns. I do like the slight improvements on the newer models that Ruger has made.

#8 ·
I gave my lcp to my wife and it's now her daily carry. I agree with the statement about not carrying fmj's. My cousin did a little home testing w/ wet phone books and the .380 round actually penetrated further than a 9mm.( results may not be typical but either way the .380 round can over penetrate) Just a thought.

#9 ·
I love my LCP but I have pretty large hands and even with the normal extension it is hard to get more than two fingers on the grip. I just received an 1 1/4 inch extension I ordered on Ebay and I believe this will solve my problems. I can now get a really good hold on the grip. For $11.95 it's a bargain. You should check it out.

#10 ·
Gave my LCP to my 26 year old daughter about a year ago. Now I'm seriously thinking about getting another one for my pocket!! There are plenty of times when I throw on a pair of shorts and a tshirt to run up to the gas station on the corner or go for a walk in the evening in a pair of sweats where carrying something heavier isnt practical.

#11 ·
LCP..great gun....I carry mine everywhere too.......:)

#19 ·
Stumbled into a deal I couldnt resist - sold a "safe-queen" and have now replaced the LCP given to my daughter!! A local gun dealer received 10 of them on Wednesday and listed them for $309. Does anyone have a recommendation for OWB paddle or IWB holster that would accomodate the LCP with Crimson Trace LaserGuard?

#20 ·
I didn't want one. I had a 3AT that I couldn't hit anything with except up close and it would bite me when racking the slide due to arthritis. Anyway, in trading around I ended up last fall with a Ruger LCP Coyote model. I thought I might as well try it out and it kept putting rounds where I wanted them no matter how far I backed up from the target (in my pasture). I love it. I still can't figure out why it's so much better than the 3AT.

Dave

#21 ·
I bought my LCP back in Febuary. Great little shooter. Eats just about any ammo I run through her. Right now I'm carrying in a Desantis Super Fly pocket holster. Although in the last two days I ordered a N82 tactical IWB, and a Remora IWB. With warm weather coming I'm sure every one of those holsters will be put to use with different apparel. I seen on a previous post someone was asking about holsters. When I recieve and try out the new ones, I'll post my thoughts on them. Right now thr Desantis holster works great in jeans.

#22 ·
Hate to say it in a Ruger forum, but I've had one and prefer the TCP myself for several reasons.

Last round slide lock
Natural point of aim
More comfortable to shoot
Just as reliable

Posted from Tapatalk on my Galaxy Note II while using the restroom.
I'm curious since I have several Taurus pistols, why you like the TCP better. I like Taurus, but just had to send one back due to a faulty magazine release button. It was replaced free (except for shipping), but the buttons don't seem to be hardened steel like in my Glock and Rugers. So, why do you like the TCP better. Thanks for the input.

Dave

#24 ·
Thanks, I was blind when I did that, seems like. My question is how is the trigger? Some of my Taurus pistols have the second shot capability and for some reason, the trigger has to almost touch the back of the trigger guard to fire. This is dis orienting to me, since my other pistols pull a max of 1/2" and then fire. It usually makes me shoot low. How does the trigger on the TCP work? Thanks.

Dave

#26 ·
:eek:I bought an LCP from a guy on ArmsList.com. Had a Wally PPK.Liked real well.I was hounded till I sold it.Then I wished I hadn't.Put about 300 rds through it since mid Feb.Hard to find ammo.Found
some on ArmsList.com.The point is" Artheritis"has settled in to my mid-finger rt hand.First shot
is better than a shot of espressp,wake me right up.Say I sure like that 1 1/2 in extention and
the laser.My next "welfare check"I'll look into those add ons. This is my first post.Sure like this
Forum.Sadoleguy West central Fl.:):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.