Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally went to an indoor range- never been in one before.
I put some Gecco 95 gr fmj and some Remington 88 gr jhp though the Max. Recoil was rougher than expected. I could not hit the bulls eye, had trouble getting in the rings at 10 yards. But I did get some hits on paper. Never been in an inside range before and someone was shooting right next to me- so it was not a pleasant experience. Also the slide did not lock back after last round on most mags.
I'll give it another try maybe next week after my 12 round mags arrive, and I'll go to the outdoor range I am familiar with. We'll see, maybe we can get better. Possibly the extra length of the 12 round mags will help with grip/hold and aiming?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Small guns are generally harder to shoot well. Perhaps take the approach that it will be your 'get off me gun' up close and personal as they say. I have never used sights, as I'm a 'point shooter'. And I have no plans of ever going beyond 30 ft. at max. (note feet not yards)

And yes indoor ranges suck, I simply will not do it. If I had no choice and wanted to keep in the shooting game then I would. But I will join a gun club outdoors before I ever choose an indoor range. And indoor ranges can be dangerous even in the parking lot.

"Possibly the extra length of the 12 round mags will help with grip/hold and aiming?"

Of course it will, but you lose your ease of concealment. Most people buy small guns to easily carry and conceal, if you bought it as a range toy you bought the wrong gun. There are those who will tell you shoot your 12's at the range and carry your 10's. You better be training with those 10's because that's first up if the need ever arises. Ya know what I mean.

Don't give up Higgy ..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oh, aren't indoor ranges so much fun! I would be willing to bet that if you get that extended mag in, that will help your grip out some. Most people are not accustomed to shooting micro-carry guns. Even if you shoot full-size autos well, the added recoil, less grip, and because of that reduced grip different trigger finger placement, mean that you have to adjust to shooting those smaller guns. Ruger does no favors by the triggers they put in their auto pistols.

All of those things can impact your accuracy with the new gun and the only answer is to shoot it a whole lot more! For the mag issue, your gun might just need to break in. I never like a "break-in" period with a new pistol but unfortunately, it happens with some guns. I would put 200 rounds through the gun and see if the mag properly engages the slide catch by the end. Number your mags on the side with a paint pen. If you have one mag that continuously does not lock the slide back, you just have a bad mag and you can either toss it or make sure not to carry that mag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll get my new mags hopefully tomorrow (so says UPS) and I'll make it down to the outdoor range maybe next week. I'll do some shooting from bench rest to make sure I'm consistent and then move on to aim ans squeeze, then point and shoot. I'll get there eventually. Not giving up yet......

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not giving up yet......
Here's the deal Higgy, don't worry about bullseye, just get on paper, right. The average size paper target is a mans chest. You get on paper you're good to go. Start out at 7 feet. Use your 'natural point of aim' as if it's your index finger. (because it is)

Then 10 feet, 15 feet, 20 feet and finally 25 feet. Anything pass that and your fooling yourself. And if it gets to far out you might be better off running. :)

Just remember we are 'average', not Clint Smith alumni or YouTube fantasy land. And odds are everything learn goes out the window in a split second. All we are trying to do (besides staying alive) is give ourselves some better odds. Don't ever count on that gun for the odds, it's only there if you get the chance.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just remember we are 'average', not Clint Smith alumni
Why don't you take yourself on up to Thunder Ranch and learn something? It would be a better use of time than giving people terrible advice online. Some of us actually take the time to attend training classes on a regular basis to ensure we have a level of competency and proficiency with the tools we chose to defend our lives with. Clearly a concept you do not understand.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Was thinking of trading my LCP ll 22lr for the new 380 but sounds like recoil is a problem for me so thinking of getting the Ruger Max 9 instead .
I would keep the Ruger LCPII 22 LR as a back up and get the Ruger MAX 9 the 9 mm ammo is more abundant than .380 . But remember in a close quarters attack the 380 accuracy and tight group is not required , just firing multiple shots into the attackers head , neck , torso from about 21 feet or 7 yards .These small pistols are not made for match shooting. And the stout recoil can be tamed with the Hogue Handall Grip Sleeve. The small short .380 Hand guns are not target guns .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts