Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I skimmed through the title on the nine pages of ammo related threads here in this subsection. However, I did not come across a thread specific to LCP.

Anyways, to the LCP owners here what cycles best for you in your LCP in the defensive round spectrum.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
^^Yep! You're in the wrong forum! Why would you post a question about the LCP in a Ruger forum?! And I've never met anyone who uses the LCP for CC. Why would you want a small, concealable, reliable firearm for CC?

Go buy some ammo and try it in your gun and see if it functions instead of getting mad when nobody answers your question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was being sarcastic, for the lack of actual responses. Not mad at all. Just wondering why no one is sharing their experiences. This is a forum after all for such things.

Some ammo simply does not work in certain firearms. I realize all are not the same but does not hurt to see what other's LCPs are working flawlessly with instead of wasting money on ammo proven not to work.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I was being sarcastic, for the lack of actual responses. Not mad at all. Just wondering why no one is sharing their experiences. This is a forum after all for such things.

Some ammo simply does not work in certain firearms. I realize all are not the same but does not hurt to see what other's LCPs are working flawlessly with instead of wasting money on ammo proven not to work.
I don't own own an LCP (tried it, didn't like it). I saw some ammo comments on it just a few days ago - but maybe not here. Could have been on the Handgun forum. There were some 'goods & bads', but I don't remember what they were.

:acool2:

·
Registered
104 Posts
My wife has an LCP and she hasn't had a problem with any ammo yet. We have used Magtech (CBC), WWB, Remington and Aguilla. All in 95 grain hollow point. Hers will eat whatever we feed it so far.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
I don't own own an LCP (tried it, didn't like it). I saw some ammo comments on it just a few days ago - but maybe not here. Could have been on the Handgun forum. There were some 'goods & bads', but I don't remember what they were.

:acool2:
I am another believer in the "try it in the gun' way of thinking. I have owned several autos that were idential and would feed with different brands of ammo. I have 3 Ruger MKIIs that are the same except for barrel length. Each one will only feed reliably with a different brand of ammo. Not a .380, but an example of same guns using only one type of ammo.

Also not much of a .380 shooter. I picked the LC9 over the LCP. I thought about both, but the 9 ain't much bigger. My buddy uses an LCP. He said that so far the gun has fed everything he tried in it. He usually carries the Rem 95 grain JHPs. He likes it cause it fits in his pocket. Just recently, I traded into a Taurus TCP. It's about the same as the LCP in size, but before I decide to carry it if I do at all, I will try all brands of ammo I can get. However, I am also of the opinion tthat holly points in that short of a barrel ain't gonna expand. This is despite all of the new bullets and testing done on the short barrel guns. Also not real sure that the 9 will expand much better in the small 9s. But the guys that sell it say that it does and videos show perfect expansion in their gelatinous mediums. At least it has more mass and velocity than the .380s in the short barrels. And there is also the question of penetration? How much of the hype can ya believe. Guess I can watch some more vidieos.

Anyway, I will probably carry th LC9 or a recently aquired S&W shield 9 over the TCP in .380. The little gun does fit nice in a pocket when I don't wanna carry the others in an IWB. The TCP has been reliable with 3 different brands of FMJs I tried in it. and some Tederal Hydra Shocks & Rem 95 gr. JHPs that I had on hand. Still, I will be carrying it with FMJs. If I do carry the little gun at all, it will be with FMJs to get what I think is the best penitration?

Guess if I want serious penetration and effect I can carry one of my 1911s.

Nah, it's too heavy and I can't hide it.:D

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Good exposition, Pancho. I am using JHPs in my SD guns, in hopes that the rounds will stay where I put them - instead of going on into collateral damage territory. I'm carrying my LCR with .38 SPL +Ps. Come reloading season I hope to scientifically work up some .357 Mag loads to approximate .38 SPL +P+ performance (leaving the hot Mag loads for Jim and his LCR)

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Yep, the LCR is a fugly little gun. I have only fired mine with .357s so far a couple of times. I have some other .38 spl. snubs that I carry with +P ammo. I have loaded some .357s to lower velocities that worked well. Have not done it in some time. Most of the time, I keep alot of "warm" .38 spls. with home made hard cast bullets around for plinking and pests. I use to shoot them alot with the 4" .38s and .357s. I lose alot of brass in the auto loaders cause of my poor eyesight. I shoot revolvers more often outside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts