LCP 2 Minor Issue

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by tpepper70, May 3, 2017.

1. tpepper70

tpepper70 New Member

New to the forum and new to the LCP. I purchased a new LCP 2 last week and finally had a chance to shoot it. I always shoot the cheapest ammo I can find when I go to the range, so Monarch steel case was the range fodder for today. I started shooting at 7 yards and 20 rounds into my box of 50, the mag release button came out. I found the spring on the ground and finished my box of 50 with my middle finger holding the mag in place. I had no other issues with the pistol and it printed a consistent low left. I'll work on it. I found it to be a pleasant little gun to shoot with much less recoil than my Kahr CM9, smaller too. I got home and was able to get the release and spring back in place. If it happens again, I'll contact Ruger, but I think it had an issue from the start because the mag was very hard to insert. Now it inserts easily. We shall see how well it does at the next range session. All in all, I'm happy with it.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Welcome to the forum, tpepper. If your repair turns out to be a temporary fix, I'm pretty sure Ruger will fix it for you. That's a new problem report, around RT anyway.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Welcome to RugerTalk!

Sounds like it may have been installed wrong in the first place. Let us know if it happens again. If it does, ruger will take care of ya

4. tpepper70

tpepper70 New Member

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm hoping to get to the range soon and test it out. I ran the mag in and out probably 100 times with no issues. We shall see.

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

tpepper70 welcome to RT. it would get you off to a better start if you went to introduction thread to let others get acquainted with you.
    The LCP recoil was less than the Kahr cm9? Wow that Kahr must be a wrist buster then.

6. tpepper70

tpepper70 New Member

Yeah, I probably should. I have a Kahr CM9 and had a Kahr PM9. They're both pretty snappy. A 9mm in a pistol that's only a few ounces more than the LCP. Yep, they'll get your attention. Haha.

7. louchia

louchia Member

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to here of your problem. Very frustrating to have a problem with a new gun. If it persists, Ruger will fix it. They have excellent CS. Shooting low left is probable from our modified grip to hold the meg in. I like most others find the II very accurate.

8. tpepper70

tpepper70 New Member

Thanks. I agree. All 50 rounds were in a 3"-4" group. I can't complain about that.

9. tpepper70

tpepper70 New Member

I was able to make it to the range today and fire 100 more rounds of Monarch steel. No problems at all. I also picked up some regular LCP mags from the state surplus store and they also worked just fine, other than not locking back. I fired 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense with no issues either. I worked on my grip and trigger control and it helped a bunch. Most rounds are low left, about 7 o'clock, in the 9 ring. No mag release issues at all. I'm very happy with this little shooter.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Don't know how many times you've been told this already, and I don't actually know the truth of it... low and left is indicative of a specific operator error. But I don't remember which one. There are too many of them

11. tpepper70

tpepper70 New Member

Yes sir. It's trigger control. As I worked on it, my aim consistently got better. The last 20 rounds were hitting more center. Just having to learn this little jewel.