Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Failures to extract initially occurred approximately 1 out of every 8 rounds with my new LCP 2 pistol. Returned the gun to Ruger and they replaced the slide assembly and included the following note, “firearm function fired 24 rounds of Aguila FMJ ammo without malfunction”.With both federal and PMC 90 grain FMJ ammo the firearm continues to fail to extract approximately 1 out of every 30 rounds. Is this the best that I can expect out of my LCP 2 pistol?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It’s not necessarily the LCP.
It’s more on the ammunition you use, specifically the lighter weight bullets.
Some ammo is loaded for max velocity in order for semi automatic to cycle properly.
Stick with 115 or 124 grain bullet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It’s not necessarily the LCP.
It’s more on the ammunition you use, specifically the lighter weight bullets.
Some ammo is loaded for max velocity in order for semi automatic to cycle properly.
Stick with 115 or 124 grain bullet.
I have never seen or heard a 380 bullet that was over 100 grains. 115 and 124 grain bullets are 9mm class bullets.
I had an LCP 2 a year, and had only a few failures mostly due to me employing a poor grip on a a very small pistol. I think with a small pistol you have to hold it more carefully than a larger pistol. Unlike a larger pistol the small pistol cannot absorb the recoil as well and that affects the gun performance. Non of us likes to think “it’s me” but sometimes it is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You are correct.
My mistake with the heavier weight grain bullet.
Just my two red cents, If it were my gun, I would try different brands of ammo and not give up on the gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input. I will try the Hornady critical defense ammo loaded with the 90 grain FXT bullet, premium ammo.. and premium price. If I still get failures to extract I will either send it back to Ruger again or unload it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
As others have noted, with small autos, grip is critical. If you touch the slide in any way, even the slightest touch or limp wrist it, Failure. Ask me how I know!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts