lcp 2 22lr barrel rifling

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by jennflip, Jun 5, 2020.

1. jennflip

jennflip New Member

Just purchased a lcp2 22lr and shoots nice and fairly accurate,while cleaning pistol noticed that the lands and grooves in the barrel are almost nonexistent---staring till your eyeballs hurt can just barely see a line or two---Is this normal and has anyone else noticed this???? Thanks...

BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS likes this.
  2. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

It's normal in every .22 rimfire barrel. The land to groove height is only 0.0020 to 0.0025, thousands of an inch. Don't need much to spin the soft lead .22 bullet.

rugertoter likes this.

3. BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS

BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS Active Member

I have one of the Ruger LCP II in .22 LR it looks the same as yours, I carry it as a backup to my EDC, I have it loaded with the CCI 40 grain Copper Plated Hollowpoint Velocitor Ammo. I have found that ammo to be very effective on Hogs & Coyotes in my Ruger 10 /22 . If it will bring down Hogs at 50 to 75 yards it will be ok for self-defense back up at 7 yards 21'. .

rugertoter likes this.
  4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Not sure I'd recommend a .22LR for self defense.
    There are some very small .380's and even 9mm's on the market that are much better suited for that.
    Even a .380 is considered absolute minimum by many and most don't believe it is powerful enough. A .22LR? Not usually in the running as a SD gun.

rugertoter likes this.
  5. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

Question, are these shallow grooves related to Marlin and their micro groove process in 1954. I am sure the patient would have ran out by now and others could have taken it up.
    I have come lately to firearms but they are great fun to shoot.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  6. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

I generally agree, but I would say if it's all a person has, then a couple of pops by a .22LR HV would be better than a fist. I do agree about the caliber selection, plus the fact that it is a rimfire...not as trustworthy as a center fire.

SGW Gunsmith and MagBlackhawk like this.
  7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I agree a .22LR would be better than nothing and I know of a shooting that proves that... kind of.

There was this big mouth, big guy local bully and a little guy that doesn't put up with bullies. Of course there was trouble between the two of them. Something about a girl I think. A deputy that is a friend of mine worked the shooting call. He said the bully came running out of the beer joint with a big knife in hand yelling he was going to kill the little guy. The little guy must have been expecting trouble because he had his .22 and shot the bully five times.
    The thing is little guy still had to run, at least a some, to get away from that big knife even after the other guy was hit five times. The bully lived and little guy is probably still looking over his shoulder to this day. (If both are still living, happened quite a few years ago).
    BTW. It was ruled a justified shooting and this was before it was legal to carry in Texas.

8. SGW Gunsmith

All the Ruger firearms in .22 rimfire have six lands and grooves. The Marlin Micro-Grooved rifles have the same depth of lands to grooves, just more of 'em.

9. SGW Gunsmith

I agree. Look to the FBI statistics, more people have died from .22 Long Rifle bullets than any other caliber.
    Clint Smith, chief instructor at Thunder Ranch says, "Use what you have until something better comes along".
    I've shot several of those small framed 9mm pistols, target recovery is not easy when the muzzle bounces all over the place.

rugertoter likes this.
  10. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

Thank you Mr Gunsmith. Still trying to learn about firearms. Sometimes difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  11. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Ah yes the good ole days. When you were allowed to rightfully defend yourself from harm without any consequences.

12. BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS

BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS Active Member

Just shoot them and leave let it be a mystery pick up any spent shell cases or DNA of yours and leave the scene, it will be another of the millions of cold cases.

13. SGW Gunsmith

I know what you mean. This is the "internet", invented by Al Gore. Not one of the most honest characters around. :(

14. SGW Gunsmith

Yah, it does seem like the tables have turned and the bad guys get all the breaks. Here, in Wisconsin, our Governor before the nitwit we now have, provided us with the "Castle Doctrine". Deadly force can be used for any home invaders, and that includes anyone trying to "car-jack" you by force.
    We have a GREAT sheriff, who is one of the "oath takers" and understands just who the bad guys are.