LC9S

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by buster40c, Apr 5, 2018.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I had my LC9s out for some target shooting and it just reaffirmed why I carry a revolver even though it is a bit heavier and larger than the LC9s. Quite often after loading and inserting the magazine then racking a round into chamber the first pull of the trigger often failed to fire the round. Had to drop the magazine to clear the unfired round and try again. I would hate to need this gun to protect my life and have nothing happen when I pulled the trigger. Bad guy +1 me -1. No thanks to semi autos, I will stick to carrying my inexpensive Charter Bulldog 44 special revolver that goes bang when I pull the trigger.

pmdoit likes this.
  2. DParker

DParker Active Member

If this is always happening with the first round from each mag then it sounds like you're following the slide closed with your hand rather than just releasing it and allowing the spring to return it fully into battery. If it's also happening at other times than you either have some ammo with defective primers or, more likely, a defective gun. If the problem is not only happening with the first round of each mag then you should definitely have a gun smith examine it. That is not even remotely normal/typical behavior for a modern semi-auto handgun.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    mriffey22 likes this.

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Buster, that is highly irregular behavior for an LC9s. Mine has never yet failed. Your gun definitely needs to be checked out.

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hey buster, how old is the pistol and / or has it been fired very much?
    Either way Ruger needs to know about yet another Ruger that does the fail to fire thing.
    Cause...
    A good semi-auto will work every single time.

pmdoit and spikedriver like this.
  5. curtsr

curtsr New Member

Agree with DParker regarding closing slide. I've gone through 400+ rounds and only 2 failures occurred when I released the slide slowly instead of letting it snap shut.

6. DParker

DParker Active Member

Well, I'd first determine that the pistol is in fact the problem. If his description is accurate and it's only happening with the first round on a magazine change then that suggests an issue with the way the slide is being released. It doesn't preclude an issue with the gun itself, but it makes it far less likely.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Well, knowing buster I can tell you it's very unlikely operator error is the problem.
    Also, knowing Ruger semi-autos of late, it's very likely it is an issue with the pistol.
    Just sayin

8. DParker

DParker Active Member

What would you anticipate is the most likely mechanical reason for only the first round in a magazine to fail to fire?

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^
    There's no tellin what may be wrong with this particular pistol, this time.
    I wouldn't even try to guess what slipped past Quality Control, this time.
    Q C from the manufacturer is most likely the problem though.
    At least it has been quite a bit in recent years.

We're done... No more feeding the troll. :rolleyes:

10. DParker

DParker Active Member

Wow.

11. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

My guide to spring broke, I was having a multitude of problems; failure to feed, fail to elect, fail to fire. I thought it was due to my lack of cleaning. On teardown and inspection I noticed the end of the spring has broken. Ruger is sending me a replacement. I am confident this will cure my problem. Thankfully I have other options to carry in the meantime.

spikedriver likes this.
  12. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Lots of agnst against the Ruger semi automatic pistols. I own the MKII, Charger, SR1911, American Compact, and LCPII. No issues with either of them. I did have a magazine spring fail in a American mag, called Ruger and asked for a new spring, got a new magazine for my troubles. Problem fixed, but a mag problem, not a pistol problem.

I have shot the SR22, LCP, and the new EC9s and Security 9 pistols extensively. I would not own one, don't like them, but family members do, and they all run great too. I absolutely do not like the SR9, 40, and 45. Have never shot one so I can not comment personally on them.

Wondering where the agnst comes from. I hear a bit about issues, usually on Ruger forums or Ruger dedicated sections of various firearm forums otherwise reviews seem to be generally good.

Seems odd they the OP's pistol only misfires on the first round. Does it ever misfire on other rounds that can not be attributed to the ammunition? Does the primer show any indication of a primer strike? Seems like something is interfering with the striker, either form or function.

FWIW, my preference for a carry semi automatic is KAHR. I do carry the LCPII regularly though as a BUG.. The American is for the informal 3 gun I like so much, the rest are range toys.

13. buster40c

Well today I shot the LC9s again and yes it still has the failure to reset the trigger.
    I tried with two types of ammo. Steel case and brass cases. Different ammo made no difference.
    I loaded the magazine into the gun with the slide locked back then I used the slide release to release/close the slide. I also tried loading the mag with the slide closed then by hand racked the slide. First round the trigger failed to reset by either method.

When I racked slide by hand back to arm the gun I let the slide fly back freely rather than hold onto the slide as it goes closed.

Trigger was not resetting for first round unless after racking the slide I again pulled the slide back about quarter way before pulling the trigger. This did reset the trigger and the gun fired off.
    There is no way I am going to trust this gun to fire when needed like it is.

I called Ruger and the gun is going back for repair. Ruger is sending me a shipping label to return the gun.

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yeah, they'll take care of it.
    And after 800~1000 trouble free rounds you might be able to trust it...

15. buster40c

Before sending the gun back to Ruger I checked the trigger reset using the dummy mag that comes with the gun and the trigger reset every time.
    That makes me wonder if the mag is the cause of the problem. I am guessing Ruger might tell me they replaced the mag with a new one and it resets fine now. Will see soon.

pmdoit and spikedriver like this.
  16. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Just out of curiosity, were you using the Made in USA Ruger mags, or the Ruger branded Made in Italy mags? The Italian mags are much better quality in my experience. My USA made mags needed a little bending or they would drop out of the gun under recoil...I could see the mags being the problem if they're the USA ones.

17. buster40c

I was using the OEM mag that came with the gun. I am guessing it was a Ruger mag.

spikedriver likes this.
  18. buster40c

Received the LC9s back from Ruger. Sent to Ruger 6-11 and got it back today 6-18. 1 week turn around is PDQ service.
    Repair information said replaced sear spring and slide stop spring Test fired 21 rounds or three mags of ammo and performed without malfunction.
    I was surprised how clean the gun was upon return. Note also said they did a courtesy wipe down and included a Ruger silicone wipe down cloth for being a Ruger customer.

I hope the gun goes more rounds than it did this time before it malfunctions again. I am fairly sure the gun hadn't been fired 500 times before it had a malfunction.

Funny I had a Kel-Tec PF9 that also had a trigger failure with under 500 rounds fired. I sold the PF9 after it was repaired by Kel-Tec.

Yep I do believe I will stay with revolvers for self protection as they are more dependable than semi autos IMO.

pmdoit, greg_r and spikedriver like this.
  19. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Glad it's back and seems to be working.

Personally I like revolvers too. My favorite being the Rugers, but I did just buy a Kimber K6s. I do like it, it was supposed to be a Wiley Clapp SP101, but I waited too long and it got gone. The Kimber is sweet!

Revolvers have their share of problems too though. Over the years I have had them go out of time, develop end play, of course springs wear out just like they do in their semi automatic brethen.

The biggest issue I have with revolvers is if they jam. Jams are rare, but they happen. A jam with a semi automatic can usually be cleared by the operator, a revolver jammed usually means a trip to the Smith!

pmdoit likes this.
  20. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

That's the thing about a revolver. If it malfunctions, it's broke.
    And it's very rare that a quality revolver breaks.

buster40c likes this.