Ruger Talk Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I got my LC9s back from Ruger today 5-3-19.
Items replaced: barrel and extractor.
Fired 25 rounds Black Hills 115gr fmj and 25 rounds White Box 115gr fmj without malfunction.
I will test fire for malfunctions tomorrow if weather permits. I am hoping it has no problems.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I got my LC9s back from Ruger today 5-3-19.
Items replaced: barrel and extractor.
Fired 25 rounds Black Hills 115gr fmj and 25 rounds White Box 115gr fmj without malfunction.
I will test fire for malfunctions tomorrow if weather permits. I am hoping it has no problems.
I'm betting Bill's Boys made it right. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bummer
I lightly oiled the gun and was using UMC 115gr ammo. I only had maybe 43 rounds left in the box of 250 rounds. All was going good till about the 41st round it jammed like before. The last two UMC shot ok.
Then I started using a bag of 100 factory re-loads and about the second round the gun jammed again. I checked the feed ramp and it was really dirty. I cleaned the ramp and started firing again. I fired a bunch more then had another jam. Again I cleaned the ramp and kept firing it and even though my hand started having the shakes I finished firing the 100.
I do believe the problem is mainly the feed ramp getting dirty as the main cause or second maybe I am getting tired and possible limp wristing or just having a weak hold on the gun.
My next step will be to shoot a clean gun only 50 rounds and put the gun up. Oil the gun and shoot another 50. That's should rule out my tiring or weak hold or a dirty gun. Repeat till/if I have a failure. So far this gun has reaffirmed my distrust of semi autos.
I think I will shoot a same bag of 100 reloads in my Sig P226 and see if it jams.

Reactions: rugertoter

·
Registered
265 Posts
"maybe I am getting tired and possible limp wristing or just having a weak hold on the gun"

My next step will be to shoot a clean gun only 50 rounds and put the gun up. Oil the gun and shoot another 50. That's should rule out my tiring or weak hold or a dirty gun.
Give that experiment a try Buster could very well be your hands are just getting tired, if that doesn't solve the issue get rid of it and don't waste your ammo and time with it anymore. Even if it does solve the problem the doubt about the gun has been planted in your head and you may always wonder about it. Not good when you are depending on it to work at that critical moment.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Well, Ruger still makes good single action revolvers.
After they finally get it fixed that is... Bill never would have let such stuff go out the door.

Sig makes a P938 9mm. It's pretty small and I'm told you can get a good one, most of the time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do buster.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Buster40c,
Try wearing gloves when your shooting. It keeps you from getting too dirty but most importantly it helps with the limp hand and recoil. That gun is snappy!
Also, you may want to polish the feed ramp. You don't have to sand paper it, just polish. Automobile polish works well. There are many brands, one I can think of is Blitz. Use a dowel and a cloth and go to work. Don't use the drill, you may make a mistake then kick yourself after you through yourself around a bit.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree polish the feed ramp. I have used Flitz polish with a bullet shaped polishing wheel on my Drexel. Every semiautomatic I own has received this treatment (except my CZ it came already polished). It can only help.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I polished the feed ramp on this gun before I sent it back to Ruger and it didn't help.
I would like to hear from those that have the LC9 or the EC9 that have shot or will shoot 100 continuous rounds through their gun and let me know if your gun has the same problem I have had.
Perhaps these guns are finicky regarding certain shell head thickness some ammo have.
Many 22lr pistols are very finicky with many brands of 22lr ammo.
Surprisingly this LC9s recoil really isn't hard to take. I can shoot 100 or more and my hand does not say ENOUGH ALREADY.
The other day when I test fired the 143 rounds I also shot 7 rounds of Federal low recoil 135gr hydra shock hollow point defense ammo. All 7 fired with no problems feeding or ejecting.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I polished the feed ramp on this gun before I sent it back to Ruger and it didn't help.
I would like to hear from those that have the LC9 or the EC9 that have shot or will shoot 100 continuous rounds through their gun and let me know if your gun has the same problem I have had.
Perhaps these guns are finicky regarding certain shell head thickness some ammo have.
Many 22lr pistols are very finicky with many brands of 22lr ammo.
Surprisingly this LC9s recoil really isn't hard to take. I can shoot 100 or more and my hand does not say ENOUGH ALREADY.
The other day when I test fired the 143 rounds I also shot 7 rounds of Federal low recoil 135gr hydra shock hollow point defense ammo. All 7 fired with no problems feeding or ejecting.
I'd really like to give you some helpful info, Buster, but both my LC9 and 9s have eaten anything I put in the chamber. My (very slight) problems have been Ammo or Magazine related. I typically don't shoot more than about 40 rounds at a time any more because I start getting sloppy with my fundamentals after that. But I've done 100+ before, with no problems...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Maybe, just maybe the barrel is getting too hot and the friction slows the ejection. The throat of your barrel is not allowing the cartridge to cycle through.
Also possible that the ejector claw may have some gunk and prevents a proper ejection.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I thought the barrel getting hot could have been the problem but Ruger said no.
The barrel and ejector were replaced and it still has the problem.
I am thinking the problem could possibly be my occasional lax hold on the gun. At 10 yards which is my usual distance I am hitting mostly consistently. Sometimes I get a zinger going low or high.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It could very well be your technique/limp wrist.
If you're willing to try gloves, it may help. Just a pair of range gloves, neoprene type, like the ones at Harbor Freight for $4.00. Sometimes walmart has them. I never used them until someone, a trainer advised me. I use them when shooting .357 Magnum. They help and are comfortable. You could also cut the finger tips if it bothers you when fiddling with ammo and loading the magazines. It just for range practice, in a real live situation you'll only need 3 shots center mass, rapid fire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sometimes, the breech face needs a bit of polishing where the case head slides in place. Just a bit of smoothing can help the rounds slide in place. hth
Best,
Rob

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well I had to shoot my 28-2 to see what it was like. It is one very accurate revolver. LOL It puts the rounds right where my hands end up pointing the gun. Seriously it is an accurate shooter. It is a heavy sucker though. I shot 100 rounds of 38spl wadcutters with no gun problems.

So now I finally got to shooting the LC9s again to see if it would have any jams.
I shot about 70 rounds when on the last round shot from the magazine the empty casing jammed.
I thought well did I perhaps limp wrist it? My hand sure was experiencing discomfort. I shook my hand for a bit and decided to make sure I had a firm hold on the gun. I shot another 30 rounds with no jams. So I am suspecting as my hand tires I let up on my grip which then allows a limp wrist hold which causes the jams.
I think as long as I don't have a bad situation that I have to shoot the gun over 50 times then the gun should be plenty dependable for carry.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think as long as I don't have a bad situation that I have to shoot the gun over 50 times then the gun should be plenty dependable for carry.
Good deal Buster.
Me myself I'm only counting on the round chambered to go off. (and hope I get lucky):)

·
Registered
210 Posts
One other thing you can do is, inspect your magazine.
I once had a german .22 cal as a little boy, by my grand father. My grand father acquired it as a trade for a shovel. The gun was good but the magazine always caused it to jam. My grand father later traded it again to a gun smith for a Ruger revolver. The smith told us that the magazine was the problem, it was not the original and was causing the problem.
In the case of your LC9, it could be a small dent on the magazine that you haven't noticed. LC9s' are great guns. I just think the triggers a bit too stiff for a semi-auto. I guess in an emergency and with much adrenaline it would be okay
I'm glad to hear you like and enjoy shooting your 28-2. The .357 magnum is my all time favorite cal. very versatile much like the 30-06 cal. I would like to find a semi-auto .357 magnum rifle. Lever guns are good and accurate, bolt guns have not been too popular. I've heard of an Italian company in Italy that makes it in a pump action, but do not ship to the U.S.A. Never actually seen one.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The problem isn't the magazine because it does it with any of three magazines I have.
I am now fairly convinced the problem comes from my hand tiring causing limp holds. As long as I make sure my hold is very strong then the gun performs as it is meant to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lol. After about 50-60 rounds, I start to develop "shaky hands". Anyone else have this problem?
I have the same problem with the shaky hands, it’s crazy and annoying. But I also have the issue with my EC9s jamming. I ran about 25 rounds in my newly purchased firearm and it jammed. Should I have cleaned before shooting for the first time?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Should I have cleaned before shooting for the first time?
Different schools of thought on that, I myself do, because at this point you really don't know if it's the gun or you. And if it is the gun could it have been because it was caked over in the factory oil, they ship them that way so they don't rust if they sit for years on a shelf at the distributors/shop etc.

So you give it a good clean and see what happens, and make sure you are not limp wresting it as they say. My EC9s is the only handgun I have ever been able to shoot one handed with no malfunctions. (so far anyway) And over the years I've gone through a sht load of them. However sometimes it's just how the grip is angled, it took me 4 Glocks to figure all that out, a whole lot of money, time and effort wasted because I bought into the internet hype of Glock being the best.

Yeah, they are extremely reliable, just not in my hands. I could of bought 3 EC9's for what every single Glock cost me.
Anyway good luck to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you I appreciate all the info on this. I’m fairly new to this sport so still learning. I will give it a good cleaning for sure and go from there. I had someone videoing while I shot it yesterday and I didnt appear to be limp wrist but will be more self aware on that too. I hear that can cause all kinds of issues and make you think it’s the firearm itself when in all reality it’s the shooter. I was off target by a little bit my first time at the gun range because I was closing the wrong eye and aiming lol go figure. (I’m a lefty and shooting right handed) a lot to get used to!
Thanks for the info and will get to work at cleaning! :)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts