Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LC9s jams 001.JPG LC9s jams 001.JPG LC9s jams 002.JPG LC9s jams 001.JPG LC9s jams 002.JPG I chose to start this new thread continued from New Ruger for CC thread.
I had problems with my LC9s jamming due to failure to eject fully then jamming on top of next round in the magazine. It jammed while I was using either of 2 different ammo brands.
Winchester WB 9mm 115gr full metal jacket. and Russian made WPA 115gr fmj steel case.
Last night after shooting I did a take down cleaning and lightly oiling. I figured just call Ruger about sending it in for them to check it out. This morning I decided try using some other ammo to see if have same failures.

I started out using Remington UMC 115gr fmj. I shot 50 rounds with no problems and I thought how about that....no failures. So next I shot 50 of the WPA that failed for me yesterday. Not one jam out of the 50 shot. I thought well this is strange.

So next I shot about 50 of the WB I had shot yesterday that had failures. No failures out of these 50 either. I thought what is the deal now that they are performing okay. Well that was short lived as I continued shooting the WB I started having jams again.

I then shot another magazine of the UMC and they had no failures. I looked at the feed ramp and it was really dirty. I cleaned the ramp with a cloth and sprayed some silicone on the ramp.

I continued shooting the WPA and now they weren't jamming. Well for a few magazines it did okay then it jammed again and it kept having jams. I cleaned and oiled the ramp again and now no failures. I shot a few more magazines and then the failures started again.

I cleaned the ramp and lightly oiled it again and shot a few more mags of WBA. They shot okay but then again they started jamming. I now shot a mag of UMC and it also failed by jamming. Again the ramp looked really dirty.

I don't know if after shooting quite a bit that the barrel gets hotter causes the ramp to get very dirty from escaped blow back residue. I am thinking this because today the first 150 rounds shot okay. Once the gun got heated up then it started to have jams. Each time I cleaned the ramp and lightly oiled it the gun performed okay.

I don't believe I will be sending it back to Ruger just yet because it seems when it is clean it performs okay. Maybe I need do some polishing on the feed ramp?
I included six pics of the failures. What do ye say?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I happened to have some Flitz so I used it. I don't know if it will make any difference but it couldn't hurt it any.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Is that a failure to fully extract, or a failure to eject? Do the fired cases showsany weird marks? I'd pull that bolt assembly apart and give it a once over...

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The failure was both. Failure to extract and failure to eject. I think as the barrel gets hot and dirty the casings tend to stick in the barrel so that it has problem extracting. When the barrel was cold and clean it had no jams.

I polished the feed ramp and the barrel lightly polished where the casing rests. I think if the gun shoots the first, second, or third magazine without jamming then I feel the gun will be good to go for carry.

I used UMC 9mm 115g ammo and I shot 25 rounds with no failures. I shot one magazine rapid fire with no failures. I then shot about 25 factory reload 9mm fmj and no failures. I then shot 25 more UMC with no failures. After almost 85 rounds the barrel is definitely hot and I can see the feed ramp is getting dirty. I then loaded 7 rounds of the reloads and ooops it had a jam like the pics from before. I cleared the jam and reinserted the magazine and fired off the remaining rounds of that magazine with no failures. I then shot 3 more mags of same ammo with no failures. I do believe the barrel getting hot and dirty is the problem. Plus polishing the feed ramp and chamber helped.
I will try again tomorrow with a cold and clean gun. If it fires off at least 4 mags with no failures then I can accept it as a CC.

Reactions: rugertoter

·
Registered
472 Posts
From the photo it seems fail to extract. I would take a close look at the extractor an ext. spring. It may also help to clean and lightly polish the chamber. There may be stubborn residue there that does not allow the case to slide out easily.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered two new Italian, made for Ruger, MagPul 7 round magazines. A set of two with the extended base plates and the flat plates. I use the flat plates. Delivered was $54.

I also bought a holster for the L9s that is amby and I wear it 9 o'clock outside the pants but the belt over it. It has a holder for an extra magazine that fit very well. The holster has a Velcro/snap strap that secures the gun in the holster. Easy pull of Velcro strap and the gun can come out, but it isn't going to accidentally fall out.

So today I performed another shooting test for failures. I was around 100 + rounds before the gun failed to eject and jammed against the next round underneath. Not cleaning the gun then I shot maybe 20 or so before it jammed again. I shot another 14 after that with no failures. I am quite sure the failures only occur after the feed ramp and chamber are filthy dirty. I don't believe it has anything to do with the magazines since the gun still jammed using the new MagPul magazines.
I am hitting point of aim for the most part so it isn't like I am limp wristing the gun either.

After all taken into consideration I decided the gun is surely dependable for a carry weapon since it will probably never fire more than 7 rounds or at most the two magazines I have with the gun.
The gun will always be clean and ready for use should it be needed. So being dirty causing a failure isn't in the possibilities.

Reactions: spikedriver

·
Registered
992 Posts
I ordered two new Italian, made for Ruger, MagPul 7 round magazines. A set of two with the extended base plates and the flat plates. I use the flat plates. Delivered was $54.

I also bought a holster for the L9s that is amby and I wear it 9 o'clock outside the pants but the belt over it. It has a holder for an extra magazine that fit very well. The holster has a Velcro/snap strap that secures the gun in the holster. Easy pull of Velcro strap and the gun can come out, but it isn't going to accidentally fall out.

So today I performed another shooting test for failures. I was around 100 + rounds before the gun failed to eject and jammed against the next round underneath. Not cleaning the gun then I shot maybe 20 or so before it jammed again. I shot another 14 after that with no failures. I am quite sure the failures only occur after the feed ramp and chamber are filthy dirty. I don't believe it has anything to do with the magazines since the gun still jammed using the new MagPul magazines.
I am hitting point of aim for the most part so it isn't like I am limp wristing the gun either.

After all taken into consideration I decided the gun is surely dependable for a carry weapon since it will probably never fire more than 7 rounds or at most the two magazines I have with the gun.
The gun will always be clean and ready for use should it be needed. So being dirty causing a failure isn't in the possibilities.
I dunno, Buster...I think I'd still send it to Prescott to get worked over. An LC9s shouldn't jam, period.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
I'm with spike. Prescott needs to get a look at it.
No jams at all, or malfunctions of any kind, for a gun I'll carry...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I dunno, Buster...I think I'd still send it to Prescott to get worked over. An LC9s shouldn't jam, period.
Or at least for a few hundred rounds, without cleaning, before you start to have malfunctions.

I had a Bersa Thunder 380 that did about the same thing as OP is described. It would run smooth and accurate, for about a hundred or so rounds, then turn into a "jammo-matic"...that is until I cleaned it again, then it would run about the same amount of rounds (of all brands) 100%.

I actually had about 6-7 hundred rounds through that pistol, but could not get past that getting a little dirty and then I could not trust it...I traded it off.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I emailed Ruger c/s 4-17-19 explaining what problem I had with the LC9s jamming.
This morning 4-18 I got a call from a man from Ruger C/S.
He agreed the gun should not be jamming after 100-150 rounds. He asked what ammo I was using. He said not to use any steel casing ammo{Russian Brown Bear} in any Ruger hand gun. He said Winchester w/b is very dirty ammo. He also said I shouldn't be using reloads either. He didn't comment on my using Remington UMC ammo as to it being dirty or clean shooting or that I might have any problem with it jamming.
He did say he has had no problem with his LC9s or any customers reporting having jamming problems with their guns.
I said I wondered if the barrel getting hot could be the cause and he said no it shouldn't get that hot to cause jamming of casing in the chamber. I told him I checked casing fit to chamber and it had plenty free clearance.
He asked if I was cleaning and lubing the gun and what I was using for lube. He said just lube the rails sparingly and wipe off any excess when gun is back together. I told him that's what I do anyway.
I told him I had pics of the jams and he said he would like to see them so I sent the pics to him. Now I wait to see what he has to say next.

I wonder those that have the LC9s or Pro how many rounds do you usually shoot during each time shooting?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Well, I'm kind of ashamed to admit it but I go 400 rounds without cleaning on a regular basis, and my LC9s runs like a top...I never shoot more than 80 rounds at a time though.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I'm kind of ashamed to admit it but I go 400 rounds without cleaning on a regular basis, and my LC9s runs like a top...I never shoot more than 80 rounds at a time though.
Yeah I sort of wondered how often anyone shoots their LC9s/pro even 100 rounds let alone 150 rounds at a time. I have to say shooting this gun 100 or more rounds the recoil isn't a problem for my hands. Until I shot up a box of 50 and then 100 at one shooting I seldom shot more than 50 at a time.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yeah I sort of wondered how often anyone shoots their LC9s/pro even 100 rounds let alone 150 rounds at a time. I have to say shooting this gun 100 or more rounds the recoil isn't a problem for my hands. Until I shot up a box of 50 and then 100 at one shooting I seldom shot more than 50 at a time.
I agree, the recoil isn't a problem. The LC9s doesn't kick, it jumps. Hard to keep on target, but not painful. I'm usually tired of shooting it after 50 or 60 rounds though. It always seems to remind me that I'm not a very good shot!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree, the recoil isn't a problem. The LC9s doesn't kick, it jumps. Hard to keep on target, but not painful. I'm usually tired of shooting it after 50 or 60 rounds though. It always seems to remind me that I'm not a very good shot!
Lol. After about 50-60 rounds, I start to develop "shaky hands". Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah if I get to shaking, luckily seldom happens, then I will call it quits for the day. I haven't ever had the shakes while shooting the LC9s though.

Reactions: rugertoter

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ruger called and sent me a shipping label to send it in for repair. I figure about a week turn around time I should have it back. I hope they figure it out and it has no more problem jamming.

Reactions: MagBlackhawk

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am just wondering if it has something to do with the magazine not locking fully into place. I should hear from them this next week.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts