Ruger Talk Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
LOL! I mean, I even provided you with a pretty animated GIF illustrating the issue...and you're still too much of a dim bulb to figure it out.
Yup! That you did, and it's an excellent depiction of what REALLY happens. Maybe something in Braille would've been more appropo?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The +1 idea comes from a point of view from a police officer who is not comfortable in the potential likelihood of a malfunction because the rounds in the mag are jammed tight against that chambered round because the mag was only design to hold a certain amount without that +1 in the chamber.
HAHAHAHA Might want to be careful of who you take advice from.

·
Registered
242 Posts
be careful of who you take advice from
It wasn't advice it was an observation made by him, I picked up on it and gave it some thought and arrived at the same conclusion. And again it goes back to if anything can break it will and in the case of guns that weak link is indeed the mag.

And yes the last place you want any advice from is the internet in general, you can learn somethings but you have to wade through a lot and it requires 'critical thinking skills'.
Some of the best advice ever given to new shooters is stay off the internet.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I picked up on it and gave it some thought
You might have given it something, but "thought" certainly wasn't it. Had you given the matter any thought at all...or had even the slightest inkling how a semiauto pistol functions...the fact that it's physically impossible for any round in the magazine to come into contact with a "chambered round"...as the latter is not located next to the top of the magazine, and is surrounded by the thick steel wall of the chamber...would have made the mind-numbing stupidity of your...

"the rounds in the mag are jammed tight against that chambered round"

...comment as blindingly obvious to you as it was to everyone else.

·
Banned
405 Posts
The +1 idea comes from a point of view from a police officer who is not comfortable in the potential likelihood of a malfunction, because the rounds in the mag are jammed tight against that chambered round because the mag was only design to hold a certain amount without that +1 in the chamber.
The highlighted and in red words are part of one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read off the inter-web. WOW! How in the hell can that even happen?
"quirky", you should've been chosen to play "Fredo" in the first "Godfather" movie.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't know about youse guys but I like to carry mine -1.

:cool:
Is the goal of that practice to prevent the rounds in the magazine from being "jammed tight" against the round in the chamber? If not, then what is the basis for it?

On the other hand, I might be missing an obvious joke here and need a 2nd cup of coffee.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ah, the classics. But tier 1 operators know that you're supposed to insert the rounds facing the opposite direction every other reload so that you evenly distribute wear on the magazine spring...duh!

·
Banned
405 Posts
Ah, the classics. But tier 1 operators know that you're supposed to insert the rounds facing the opposite direction every other reload so that you evenly distribute wear on the magazine spring...duh!
Learn something **NEW** every day. :rolleyes: Seems like a bit of a "quirky" procedure though. Wonder if that advertising firm got any more work from HK?

·
Registered
65 Posts
These posts are all so interesting.........but what does it have to do with the ruger lc9s ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just purchased a new LC9s and got some range time with it this morning. These are my impressions.

Takedown. It is what it is. You get used to the push pin thing. I'm just afraid of losing it. (note to self: get a spare).

I picked up a couple boxes of Federal RTP 115gr and a box of Browning BPT 147gr just to try it out. The Federal feed, fired, ejected flawlessly. I gave up on the Browning BPT. After 25 rounds I had 5 FTE. That's more than I've had in all my firearms combined the past 10 years.

The grips seem pretty good and did their job. My only problem was my right thumb seemed to naturally fall right where the safety was. I ended up perching my thumb on top of the safety and got used to it. With the extended plate it seemed to point naturally and was fairly comfortable.

The white dot sights are very visible in daylight. However it was very overcast today and a little difficult to pick up. Putting some HiViz on my shopping list.

The trigger is about as good as it gets out of the box. Smooth take up and crisp break. I would prefer a little shorter reset but I'm more used to a 3.5# trigger on an AR. Overall it's damn good.

The recoil is what I would expect from a compact 9mm. 100 rounds in a little over an hour didn't bother me. It always seemed to fall back on target because of the natural grip angle.

The first few groups hit low. Not sure if it was me or the sight. I adjusted and it was fine. 10 yard groups were in the 3ish inch range. For the first time out with cheap ammo in the dark I'll gladly take that.

In hindsight I would consider the Pro version with no safety. My reasoning was it's use could be optional but thumb placement turned out to be the issue. Hi Viz sights are recommended. They don't cost more when you buy the gun, but they will cost me more to add them. Get a speed loader. Single stack mags are a PITA to load.

Would I still buy? No doubt. No buyer's remorse here :)

Just gave mine to my grandson for Christmas. Really nice for CC and a pleasure to shoot. After shooting my other pistols and going back to it, I had problems getting used to the long travel and reset. Also got tired of the low capacity magazines. Still an excellent gun though and would recommend it for CC. Guess I just "outgrew" it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Ruger LC9 Pistol looks like a real good self defense pistol .The 9mm cartridge According to the 2014 edition of Cartridges of the World, the 9×19mm Parabellum is "the world's most popular and widely used military handgun and submachine gun cartridge. In 2007, Newsweek claimed that "about 60 percent of the firearms in use by police are 9mms" and credited 9×19mm Parabellum pistol sales with making semiautomatic pistols more popular than revolvers. The popularity of this cartridge can be attributed to the widely held conviction that it is effective in police and self-defense use. Its low cost and wide availability contribute to the caliber's continuing popularity. The Ruger LC9 is a 9mm caliber, recoil-operated, locked breech, striker fired, semi-automatic pistol announced by Sturm, Ruger & Co. at the 2011 SHOT Show. This pistol has safety features, including a loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect safety, that allow it to be sold in Commie chusetts. I think the Ruger LC 9 is a good choice of a compact single stack 9+1 OR 7+1 magazine concealable self defense pistol .Like with any fire arm you should practice shooting it a drill I do is to draw and fire 3 shot into a target placed 0-21 feet or 0-7 yards away my target is an atomically correct Head & Torso target mounted on a 1x1 ,2x2 ,2x4, 5' 1/2 feet long I start with one target and then add targets in close to represent multiple attackers. One drill is what I call the Robbery attackers drill One target is 5 yards or 15 'feet away Second target is 3 yards or 9' feet third target is 1 yard 3 or feet away The drill starts with me throwing my wallet into the face of the 1 yard target drawing and fire two shots into the torso of all 3 targets as fast as I can. I do this drill two ways standing up and one drill sitting in the car with the door open to represent a car in the parking lot when confronted by 3 attackers when you can keep a 2 or 3 inch group on the targets you are ready and prepared to defend yourself. I strongly recommend the Hogue handall Beaver tail grip sleeve as an addition and a good quality holster for concealed carry of this firearm.

Birchwood Casey Silhouette Torso 3D Target- 3 Pack- Mounting Tab, For an Unique Range Target Experience.

• 3D Face And Torso With Mounting Tab
    • Lightweight And Can Be Used In Most Shooting Ranges.
    • Provides A Unique Range Shooting Experience.
    • Dims: 21.5" H X 14' W X 4.7" D
    • Quantity Of 3/Pk Made Of Recycled Material.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022495612
The holes can be covered with wide masking tape giving long life use of the target they can be painted also .

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't know about youse guys but I like to carry mine -1.

:cool:
I don't carry +1. The way I see it I'm not in a current combat zone or engaged in an ongoing gun fight. Even as a current law enforcement officer I chose to not carry +1 when I'm not on duty. When on duty, hell yes I load and chamber a duty round then holster. But that's when on duty with a duty firearm inside of a duty holster and it is still not +1. It is condition one, loaded and chambered.

I do carry mine in deep concealment, which is no holster just a simple belt clip. The belt clip allows you to conceal your firearm with no bulkiness of a holster, no printing or sign of a firearm, no discomfort issues. Best of all it sits deeper than any holster will allow. When I carried it in my pocket, it eventually ripped a hole and that wasn't good because it fell through one day.

Draw back of the belt clip? It is NOT a fast or quick draw. It sits in deep on the belt line, which prevents a fast draw.

After a life threatening event at a young age, I've learned to always carry something, at the very least a knife. I practice often drawing the firearm from the appendix and learned to use my opposite hand to lightly lift up then draw.

The LC9 is light and comfortable enough to try in on yourself without the holster, It is even light enough when wearing sweat pants, which I often wear around the house. Dress the way you always do and be comfortable, then insert the LC9 into your pants allowing the belt to hold it. If you feel this is comfortable for you, get the "Clip Draw". It is designed to clip on the belt in order to prevent it from falling all the way through and down the leg the onto the ground, which is what no one ever wants.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts