Featured LC9s First takes

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by LeighSutton, Aug 27, 2017.

1. BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS

BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS Active Member

Try both thumbs forward it will improve your shot groups with a Semi-Auto pistol.

2. BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS

Ruger LC9 is a nice pocket pistol to carry for self-defense its no target pistol, the practice should be on 7-yard -21' target try the keep your group golf ball size a two-handed grip with both thumbs forward not downward like shooting a revolver your groups will start tightening up with thumbs forward grip. Try it, Load her up and let it rip tater chip.
    My friend Howard will talk you thru the Grip here:

3. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Hello and welcome OP! I have the EC9 striker fired version, and other than the sights being tough to use, they still work okay. At least I can see light on both sides of the front sight, while viewing through the rear.

Honestly, seeing the distance to where I would expect to use this pistol anyways, I tend to shoot it from 5-15 yards only, and I am getting pretty good at just leveling the top of the slide at the 6 O'clock, and letting fly. I keep them centered that way, and don't waste time trying to line up those tiny sights on mine.

BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS likes this.
  4. BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS

The average shooting with handguns takes place at 0-21 ' 0-7 yards Practice at 21' when you can keep your shot group the size of a golf ball at 7 yards 21' You will find the front sight focus will tighten the group up . I do 7-yard drills 3 shots into the circle the size of a golf ball . I draw acquire the front sight focus & fire 3 shots as fast as I can the goal is keeping the shots in the circle. You can use a .22 LR to do this drill the results will be the same with any caliber handgun once you have the muscle memory and the drill becomes a natural reaction.

5. Litehiker

Litehiker Active Member

I just got the slide of my LC9s black Cerakoted to cut down on rust when I carry concealed. Plus it just looks nicer.
    I'd like to get the barrel nitrided B/C I shoot this pistol regularly and it would cut down on wear.

BTW, for a carry pistol with the typically short sight radius and typically "Holy Shit" scenarios of use I highly recommend using a laser sight. Even with a hip shot you will hit your target every time the laser dot is on it. No need to "aim" with the sights - if you even had the time.
    Crimson Trace makes the best laser sight I've seen for the LC9 series. My LaserMax went tits up this year.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  6. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

At "bad breath close" distance, sights of any sort are most likely useless anyway.
    My new Ruger LC9s is one of the BEST purchases I've ever made. Great trigger and with the Hogue grip sleeve, it's very comfortable to shoot:
    [​IMG]

7. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

Wonder why they included those on the grip frame and with a very convenient notch in the slide then?
    Watching many of the Ruger You-Tube videos, we often see dudes wearing Ruger logo shirts using those slide/bolt release thumb buttons to release 'em when they are held back. They must not have received the same memo? :(

8. quirky

quirky Active Member

What part did you miss ? Are we to understand as well that you top your mag off after chambering a round because the gun companies sell it as a +1.

But yeah, whatever works for you and are comfortable with, I'm from the school of mechanical thought as in whatever can break will.

The +1 idea comes from a point of view from a police officer who is not comfortable in the potential likelihood of a malfunction because the rounds in the mag are jammed tight against that chambered round because the mag was only design to hold a certain amount without that +1 in the chamber.

Feel free to come back with another 'pro story' being paid to sell guns. I myself like this cops thought process. Ergo no +1 for me and no slingshot action either. :)

9. DParker

DParker Active Member

Uhhhhh...the rounds in the mag aren't in contact with the round in the chamber at all....'cuz, y'know...it's in the chamber.

Have you ever actually seen a firearm?

[​IMG]

10. quirky

quirky Active Member

Try this experiment so you will better understand what is happening. Chamber a round top the mag off then insert the mag. Do the same thing again but don't top the mag off, which mag is easier to insert ?

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes”

― Mark Twain

11. DParker

DParker Active Member

How about you learn to read and comprehend simple English at a 3rd grade level or better before presuming to offer anyone else any advice. Then maybe you can explain what the hell your response above has to do with your utterly ignorant claim the the top round in a magazine is "jammed tight" against a round that's inside the firearm's chamber. Do you even know what the "chamber" is?

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  12. quirky

quirky Active Member

Perhaps you and SGW Gunsmith have more in common with each other then you realize. ;)

13. DParker

DParker Active Member

LOL! I mean, I even provided you with a pretty animated GIF illustrating the issue...and you're still too much of a dim bulb to figure it out.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  14. quirky

quirky Active Member

Don't forget to try that experiment if you own a semi-automatic handgun.

15. DParker

DParker Active Member

Oh, i own several...and have dropped/inserted magazines from/into them in every conceivable condition from empty to fully loaded, with the bolt both open and closed.

So what does that have to do with your incredibly ignorant comment about rounds in the magazine being "jammed tight" against a chambered round that they can't possibly be in any contact with? Stop being such a coward and actually dress that instead of your usual candyassed song-and-dance.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  16. BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS

LOL ROFL So of these folks have more problems with popular than the 6 o'clock news they make up BS and spread it here.

17. quirky

quirky Active Member

It's dishonest to show that GIF because all it's showing is a round being fired it does nothing to show what it looks like when you overload the gun. Once again you have to try that experiment mention above to understand what is happening 'inside the gun'.

The facts have been presented it's up to individuals to decipher and make their own decisions based on the knowledge presented. But outright dishonesty should never be presented as fact.

18. DParker

DParker Active Member

LOL! You're more full of shit than the New York City sewer system the day after Thanksgiving.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  19. BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS

dont feed the troll !

20. DrewBone

DrewBone Member

Girls...girls!!!

oops.gif

(LOL)