LC9S fails to fire.

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by cjs1945, Aug 14, 2017.

1. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

Took my new LC9S to the range yesterday that had previously fired 175 rounds flawlessly, and after the 11 th round it would not fire. That evening after disassembling pistol, i found that the L shaped end of the sear spring had came out of the notch in the chassis and was pointing up. I could not see any sign of damage to any parts and after reassembling pistol and reseating spring in notch the pistol functions perfect again. Has anyone else had this issue with the LC9S? I am concerned as to why the spring became disengaged and caused the failure to fire.

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Huh. I have an lc9s pro and haven't had this problem. I'm thinking a call to Ruger CS is in order.

3. allenr

allenr Member

I never had any problem with my Lc9s. I agree with the suggestion above that you report it to Ruger CSmeven if the occurrence is a fluke. They might keep track of such things or might have dealt with it before and know how to fix it if it could be recurring. If they have few to no such reports, I think you can chalk it off to a single occurrence.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Call Ruger service and let them handle it. Something is wrong if the spring came out of place and it could possibly happen again. Definitely call Ruger.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Is this your carry gun? If it is, explain to Ruger that you need to know your gun will be 100% reliable and functional if you should need it.

The last thing Ruger wants is for someone to use one of their guns in a defensive situation and have it fail.......

6. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

Tried pistol again Wednesday and spring would fail every 4 to 10 rounds, so Ruger sent an shipping label and it will be going back Thursday morning. They said they had not encountered any problems with the sear spring coming loose like mine does.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

OK. Now they have. If it is an iffy design at all, maybe they'll fix that.

8. buster40c

I haven't shot my LC9s much but maybe I should be,

9. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I have had no isues with mine except for the mag release beinga bit stiff. Function has been perfect.

10. 6-Oclock

6-Oclock New Member

I have had no problem with mine and have shot, geez, probably 800 rounds or more through it and never a problem. My range round is .115 gr Blazer Brass. My carry is .115 gr Hornaby Critical Def.

esmith1721 likes this.
  11. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I have the original LC9 hammer fire. It's thin and it always works. It will never be confused for a $1k+ 1911. I keep it in the garage and use it to finish hogs with one shot to the head.

12. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

Got my LC9S back from Ruger on Aug. 30, they replaced the sear spring and repaired the insert and fired 21 rounds of Black Hill 115 gr. without any problems. I run 60 rounds of 124 gr. FMJ threw it that afternoon without any problems and plan on another 200 in a week or so. I have been shooting 124 gr. in it and it hits dead on target, with 115 gr. it hits low.

13. buster40c

Glad your gun is working as it should. Ruger is #1.