LC9 problems? Or no problems

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by MenzRoom, Nov 6, 2013.

1. MenzRoom

MenzRoom New Member

I am looking into a LC9 and I see reviews that go both ways on the gun some say they fired 1,500+ and no problems and some say it has malfunctioned every time. I want to hear from LC9 owners or people who know someone that has one, any problems or has it worked well? If problems occurred how were they dealt with ?

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk,,

glad you stopped by, if you get a chance mozzy over to introductions, and tell us a little about you.

I dont own a LC9, but many here do, and will fill you in.:)

Jim

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

My LC9 has not malfunctioned once. I'm not sure how many rounds I have through it now, but I tested it by not cleaning for 400 rounds and it was flawless. The only time it has failed was operator error. (You can't "ride the slide" into battery after inserting a fresh mag...you will get a click instead of a bang) The only problem is the trigger which is very long and heavy, but there are kits to help that. Get the LC9, you won't regret it...

4. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I bought a like new, used one off a guy bringing it in to a gunshow. It appeared unfied, but he said he had fired a few boxes throguh it. He said he did not like the trigger and that it did not make a good range gun. Duh? It's a close range SD gun dude! For 250, I had to try it. I left it dirty. I don't like cleaning gun. I like guns that work, dirty or clean. They should work one way or the other. Just loaded it and started shooting. I have a few hundred rounds through it now with no malfunctions. Yeah, it is not a range gun if ya like punching paper. But it will stay in the chest area of a man target at combat range. carries nice too. I had gone back to a DA/SA gun for a while because I had tried carrying a Kel-Tech P11. Good gun, just the trigger was too heavy. The trigger on the LC9 was much better than the DA trigger of the Kel-Tech P11. I can live with the trigger on the LC9. The Bersa makes a nice SD gun and range gun, but it is a .380 and a good bit heavier than the LC9 and much the same size. The LC9 has more power in the same size package and much lighter. I just don't intend to use it as a paper puncher at 25 yds.

5. pipermac

pipermac New Member

Good write Poncho. Hit it center mass. This is a ccw weapon so 50 yard paper practice will be frustrating. I think Hickock is the only person on target consistently at 50 yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ruger Forum mobile app

6. infidel686

infidel686 New Member

I bought a used one and carried it for about a year. 500 rounds and worked flawlessly even with reloads, gave it to my girlfriend when I bought a xds 45. She loves it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Ruger Forum mobile app

7. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

I have put 350 rounds thru mine and not one bit of problems. There very good for the price

8. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

I have put 700 rounds threw my LC9 and it has performed flawlessly, and my LC380 has done equally well with 400 rounds. They are great little pistols.

9. Gwgw60

Gwgw60 New Member

1,200 rounds through my LC9 without a problem.

10. nworker

nworker New Member

I have about 800 rounds through my LC9 and I haven't had any problems. Its really accurate. I did have Galloway put in the trigger kit to shorten the pull about 200 rounds ago and I love the new trigger. I have long fingers and I had problems getting the trigger all the way back. I was not very accurate with that long pull. Now it breaks about the same as my SR9.

11. STLmo

STLmo New Member

I love mine.

I shoot paper at no more than 7-10 yards on a regular basis to be comfortable with it, and its a fairly comfortable carry, but never more than 100 rounds at a time. There's a point, in my opinion, of diminishing returns, when you're burning much more than that with such a non-range gun.

I have found it to be reliable and a reasonably comfortable carry for the caliber. Seems like a great company too.

BTW, I love my IWB DeSantis sof-tuck for this gun, too, after trying a few different holsters.

12. realultpwr

realultpwr New Member

Love my LC9 also, in a cross breed mini tuck can hardly feel that it is there. Seems like a quality gun, trigger is long yes but if you don't anticipate the break and just pull it quite accurate. Have the SS Galloway guide rod and recoil spring and it helped with the recoil, but not a necessary mod does just fine stock. Did the mag release disconnect because it is a CCW and just in case i drop a mag is stress situation still can get one off. You tube video made it easy enough of first strip for cleaning.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  13. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds good real pwer
    I was thinking of doing the mag disconnect myself

14. realultpwr

realultpwr New Member

Blaze,
    I would recommend it, seemed pointless to me, only time it would work is for someone who knows nothing about firearms safety ie. does not clear the chamber and tries to pull trigger

15. giturgun

giturgun New Member

No problems with my lc9, would like to have another. No jams or misfires. Have the 9 round ext mag and it works as well as my 2 7 round mags, but as stated earlier it don't like the slide to be helped in loading , just jerk it back and let it fli and no problems.

16. MenzRoom

MenzRoom New Member

Has anyone had a trigger job done on their LC9 ?

17. nworker

nworker New Member

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had my trigger modified. Have long fingers and was really having a problem with accuracy and anticipating with the long pull. I didn't feel comfortable doing the trigger job myself so I mailed the gun to Galloway so they could in stall the new trigger bar. They did an excellent job and I love the new trigger. It's breaks about 3/4 of the way back now. Very similar to my SR9 break point.

I am much more accurate with it and I no long anticipate. Well worth the money. Too bad the LC9 doesn't come with this trigger as I have seen and heard so many complaints about the long pull. I understand the safety side of it but I personally think the mod is better.

18. MenzRoom

MenzRoom New Member

How much did that cost you ? I really like the LC9 I think it is a very beautiful gun, feels great in my hands just the trigger is horrid. I have a 2013 LCP with the updated trigger i wish the LC9 was like that

19. giturgun

giturgun New Member

I have not done the trigger yet, but I have put the heavier recoil spring and ss guidrod in mine. Have the 9 round mag from Ruger as well.
    I am going to do the trigger and install the adjustable trigger this spring.

20. nworker

nworker New Member

Trigger bar was $95.50 installed. $50 of it was labor.