LC9 or .380

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Ernesto, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I'm definitely interested in getting pocket type pistol like a LC9 or .380/ Lovin my SR9c but sometimes it's just to bulky to CC in the summer months.
    Got any ideas as to where to find a good used one? I checked the forum already and didnt see one. Although I'm not to fond of used guns just because I might get stuck with a lemon.
    Yesterday I went to Diamondback gun store and saw the LC9s Pro and loved it. It was listed at $389, not a bad price.

Caliber wise I'm not to worried about any long distance shootout at 50 feet or more, but a little worried about knock down power of a .380. So I'm torn between a .380 and the slimmer 9mm LC. Any suggestions?

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I would suggest going the smallest that will fit in the pocket 9mm rather than a 380. Then again even the smallest 9's sometimes don't fit in a pocket to well.
    I just absolutely luv the Sig P238/380 and the next up in 9mm is also good. What I really like about these Sigs is the recoil is so much less felt it is a wonder. I have seen the P238 selling for just under $500 some places. You hold one and shoot one and IMO you will want it over the LCP. It is a little bigger but I believe it will pretty easily fit into a pocket.
    I think the P239 9mm is heavier and a tad bigger than even the lc9. I had a Kel-Tec PF9 which is the model for the LC9 and it would fit into my front pocket. I guess the Sig added weight is the reason for the better recoil handling. There is a big recoil difference IMO. LOL Also a bit more $$.
    I would check them all out before buying one so don't end up having regret after buying it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

3. Ernesto

Thanks for the feedback buster40, yea sig's a pricey pistol. I like the idea of not having to buy different ammo so I can concentrate on stocking up on one caliber. I stick to Made In USA and plus I live in S. AZ so heck, I could drive my gun to Prescott if need be for repairs, haha

To me the 9mm is the ultimate up close and personal urban caliber, the .380 seems a little weak. And not a huge price difference between them.

4. buster40c

Yep the difference in ammo price between 380 and 9 mm will pay for the 9mm gun real quick. That's one reason I got rid of my 380's.

5. Ernesto

No kidding? I haven't priced .380 in ages. My grand pop gave me his old one many moons ago but I sold it.

6. buster40c

Heck yes! 380 is probably as much as 50% higher cost than 9mm. I just checked ammo seek.com and 380 ammo ranges from cheapest crap at .23 per round to .77 per round for defensive ammo. 9mm cheapest .16 per round to .27 for defensive round.

7. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

The striker fire LC9s is the way I'd go. Much better trigger than the old LC9.

I have a low opinion of .380 and never go below 9mm for a self defense weapon.

8. Ernesto

Am a fan of the striker fire oldtexan. My granpa's old 380 couldn't go through a car door. Not sure about the newer rounds. And well car doors are much thinner these days. But why risk it.
    These weapons are for up close and personal.
    Oh hell, guess y'all talked me into the new LC9s Pro.

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I own both and carry the LCP more often than the LC9. If you watch the sales at PSA the LCPs go for $200 and the LC9 for $250, LC9S for $300. The engineering philosophy behind both is very similar other than the obvious LCP being very small. The LC9 is also very thin compared to other SS 9mm pistols.

Buy whatever one goes on sale first and then plan to acquire the second in time. From a strictly budgetary standpoint, the LC9 will be less expensive to operate over the long run.

The LCP is more novel due to its size, but I was more pleasantly surprised with the LC9. Neither is a range gun while the LCP fits in nearly any front pocket.

Hope this helps.

10. DiodeDave

DiodeDave New Member

I love my SR9C, too. Rarely leave the house without it. A decent IWB holster and a Hawaiian shirt easily hides the 9c and the 17 - round spare mag. And it's a comfortable get-up even in the Texas summer. On the subject of .380s, I recently had to retire my PPK/S. Arthritis is making it difficult to pull a DA trigger on a small pistol. After renting and trying most of the pocket .380s at the local range along with my wife, we both bought Glock 42's. It's a bit large for a pocket pistol; but of all the one's we tried, it was the most comfortable in the hand and the most controllable - even shooting offhand.

11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hello Diode Dave,

Welcome ,

Tradition is, first post are in Introductions,
    Let me encourage you to go over there and tell us a little about yourself.

Thanks,

Ji

12. Ernesto

Sweet, your right nickndfl - 299.99. Great prices. Plus theres a FFL over on the next block from me, who knew!

13. Holtz

Holtz New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1436137582.333659.jpg great little pocket pistol

14. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Last year, I stumbled on a used, like new LC9. I was quite happy with it . The guy that owned it, said he had bought it for a rnage toy? Whatever!!! He found out that it was not a long range pistola. He had brought it into a gunshow and was selling it to get a larger 9. I found it to be a great carry piece. DA trigger was not that bad compared to early DAO guns that I had like the Taurus Millenioum and KT-11.

Had a few of the tiny DAO autos like the KT P-32, P3AT and more recently a Taurus TCP in .32. They are great for carry, but are just up close and personal guns. The LC9 was not much bigger than the LCP my buddy had. Recoil on the 9 was not offensive to me. He preferes the smaller size of the LCP for pocket carry. Icould fit the LC0 into a jeans pocket, but it was much bigger tahn the tiny autos. Great in a jacket or IWB holster. Anyway, my kid liked it so much that I gave it to him.

I figured I could find another used one. Not so easy. I did stumble on a used Kahr CW45 and carried it instead. An old man and his wife had brought it into a gun show to sell it cause she could not handle the recoil or operate the slide very well. It worked great for me and I still have it. I had a hankering for a big bore pocket auto for some time. It did the trick, but was much heavier than the LC9. It was also thicker, but not as much as a Taurus PT 145 I had. It was a double stack compact. Great, but just too thick for me anyway. Same for the other double stacks. The Kahr fit in the holster I had for the LC9.

Still missed the thinner size and ease of carrying it in a pocket without a holdster at times. Ain't much on .380s, so I only have one and don't carry it. Looked at the LC9s at Academy Sports and they did not have the other 2 modlels or the .380. So I got one of the LC9s striker fired guns for my B=day like a month ago.

The gun is much the same as the LC9, but has no loaded chamber indicator. I can live without that. Trigger is a good bit better, buthow good of a trigger do you have to have for close range SD shooting? It is more than adequate and is reliable like he other one. Now to find anohter magazine. Took me a year to locate one for the other gun. I don't shop the internet, so I just have tokeep looking. Give me an excuse to go to the gunshows and gun stores.

The gun is stuck in my stretch pants now in an old Bianchi IWB that worked well with a Bersa .380 and with the Kahr CW45. However, it is much lighter than the Bersa or even the Kahre when it was fully loaded with .45 acp. Much thinner, so it is hardly noticeable.

15. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

The LCP and LC9 remind me of an early 1970s Chevelle. Good all purpose CCW with everything you need for that purpose. It's no track car or off-road vehicle, just good for daily driving.

16. Ernesto

Glad you mentioned that Pancho. I was about to pull the trigger on the site Palmetto State Armory yesterday and backed out. Why? Because I figger that we should support our local shops. Why? Because if the .gov decides to quash gun sales and all thats left is internet sites they could do it in a second. Then where ya gonna go?

Price ain't everything.

P>S> Buy Made in USA!!!

17. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

.......................might want to check out one of these.................Kahr MK9.............built in 2000..........Birdsong slide, Wolff recoil spring and guide rod...........one of 400 made. I front pocket carry with 147 gr. Federal HST's in the cold months, Hornady 115 gr. Critical Defense in the warm months. You won't find a better da trigger anywhere;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  18. phideaux

Hey BB,
    A good descrip might help, as some of us dont always recognize what it is just from a pic.

Jim

19. cluznar

cluznar New Member

I shot an LC380 that a friend has. He has a piece of mouse pad glued on the rear half of the grip so it wraps around, then put a Houge handall slip-on rubber grip over the mouse pad. Wow! When you shoot the gun it is like shooting a .32 acp. I really like the LC380 and may buy one.

20. phideaux

Hi Cluznar,

Thanks for joining the forum,

Traditionally, first posts are in "Introductions".

I encourage you to go to Introductions, and tell us a little about yourself, so that we can all give you a proper welcome.

Thanks

Jim