Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Forum from Franklin TN. own several Ruger firearms. LC9 pin broke at the range. Anyone experience this and suggestions on why?

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Do you ever dry fire the gun? Does the owner manual say not to dry fire? I had a KelTec PF9 and it stressed do not dry fire. I don't know if the Ruger warns of this or not. I am not sure if this could be the cause or not.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Never had that happen, but my LC9 had the firing pin blocker lever break after about 1200 rounds. The piece that broke off locked the slide about half open and after i got it to cycle the piece fell out and pistol worked perfect except it would not fire because blocker was not being lifted. Ordered three new ones from the Ruger store and put it in myself, it was actually not to bad a job installing it and they are only $3.00. I called Ruger and they had not heard of any others having that failure so i think it is not likely to happen again. The manual says that it is ok to dry fire the LC9 so that should not be an issue, but i always use snap caps when dry firing anyway just to be on the safe side. Other than the lever my LC9 and LC380 have always performed flawlessly and have run with every type of ammo that i feed them.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Doesn't Ruger warranty cover that repair? Or did you just decide to do it yourself? I had a KelTec PF9 which is what the LC9 copied to an extent. My PF9 trigger totally failed to cause gun to fire with less than 200 rounds through it. KelTec report read like they almost rebuilt the whole gun. KelTec says no way are you to dry fire this gun. I sold it when I got it back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put new firing pin in my LC9. Put maybe 200 rounds and zero issues. I have no idea why or how the firing pin broke. Works great now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your post reminded me when firing pin broke, the pin blocker also broke. Therefore, both items broke at the range. One round then nothing. I ordered all the parts from Ruger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am sure that Ruger would have covered the repair on my LC9, but i did not want to bother sending it back for a $3.00 part that arrived on the second day after i ordered it plus there would have been the bother of putting the MDS back in and then removing it again when the pistol came back. It was a quick and easy fix, and the pistol has been 100% dependable other than that one part.

·
Registered
992 Posts
My LC9's firing pin channel had shavings in it and it began to ft at about 500 rounds. I sent it to the local Smith and he went over the gun from top to bottom. Took 2 days and 52 dollars, and she runs like a champ again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my LC9 in 2011. Just recently, had issues with the mags dropping during firing. Ruger took it back and turned it around and I had it back within a week. Besides fixing the mag release issue, they also replaced the firing pin, firing pin spring and holder and buffed the feed ramp of the barrel. I called Ruger up the aka about the additional repairs and the said that they always provide updates to any guns that come in. . . Make me a happy customer. BTW, I had shot over 500 rounds through this gun since it's my EDC. Took me a while to get used to the trigger pull and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This must be something new. I have returned two handguns to Ruger. First my LC9 about 2 years ago maybe longer. Returned from Ruger and did not fire the first round. Very disappointed. Gave it to gunsmith. He fixed it. Recently LCP sent back. They sent me a new LCP. This is the good part. However, It does not work either. Worse than my old one. I have polished everything Waiting to return to range. I have to say I love the new LCP trigger. It
is excellent. Much lighter pull. If it fires and ejects correctly. I will carry it as back-up gun daily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts