latest project 10/22 pink Axiom

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by bhale187, Apr 25, 2013.

1. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Started as a Brown Blackhawk Axiom (I really didn't like that shade of brown). Soon it will be a pretty pink :eek:

Doing this for my daughter's birthday gift, her first firearm will be a pink version of the first picture.

I wanted to use Krylon Fusion, but couldn't find any in pink so I am using Rustoleum painters touch ultra coat that says it bonds to plastic. I hope it holds up.

Attached Files:

2. gman079

gman079 New Member

Hydro painting would've been another option, but there's nothing like having the satisfaction of doing the job yourself. Way to go!! NICE PAINTING.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

3. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Is hydro painting the same thing as hydro dip?

If so, that stuff just doesn't hold up well. I've worked on 2 different AR15s that were professionally hydro dipped, but scratched off very easy, and they turn to a liquid smudge when exposed to strong cleaning chemicals.

4. gman079

gman079 New Member

Same thing!! You would think that if those AR's were professionally hydro dipped they would use a hard coat sealant to last a bit longer than what you've just described.
    Well I to am doing a project build myself for the girlfriend!! and this is what I have in mind for a replacement stock.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  5. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

That's a good looking stock.

6. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

I got it done, not perfect, but its a good way to get a cheap, light, pink 10/22 that my daughter really wanted

Attached Files:

7. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

Looks good bhale! I have been thinking about painting my axiom stock. Think I might try it now that I see yours. Any pointers that will make my project go smoothly?

8. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Lightly sand it with a super fine grit sandpaper first.

When spraying...go light, very light. Do a lot of coats with an hour or so between each coat. It will take a lot of time, but if you go too heavy you get runs that will all but ruin it.

You might want to avoid spraying the 'tube' portion of the stock, know as the receiver extention on an AR15. It's a super tight fit without paint, with a little paint it gets VERY tight and its just a matter of time until it starts scraping and peeling when you extend and retract the stock.

And get a good paint that is for plastics. I used Rustoleum painters touch ultra which says its good for plastic and it worked well here, rustoleum makes another type just for plastic, Krylon fusion is plastic specific too.

9. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

Awesome! Thank you. Do you know if the "buffet tube" on the axiom us the same size as an AR? I was thinking about swapping that out just for looks

10. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Not exactly the same size. A mil spec stock won't fit on it, commercial stock will fit onto it but very tightly

11. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

Might just skip that. Thanks. Again great job on painting that stock.