Featured Latest mods for my 10/22

Discussion in 'Ruger 10/22' started by MDS, Dec 24, 2017.

1. MDS

MDS New Member

I've owned this rifle for about five years now. It's gone through slight transformations here and there. I started with an auto bolt release and a polymer recoil buffer, then mounted a scope on it to intro myself to Small Bore Steel Silhouette before building a KIDD rifle for that purpose.
    7.jpg 8.jpg

Now it's mainly used for plinking and for the instruction of new marksmen. It's wearing Tech Sights, a Volquartsen trigger, Rimfire Technologies helical fluted mag release, Power Customs Extended charging handle and added a small pic rail at 6 o'clock out in front IOT mount a bipod.
    10.JPG 11.JPG

I Free floated the barrel and filed away the nasty looking "step" where the barrel band used to slide onto. Bushnell TR-25, Blackhawk cheek pad, and did a little grip job before painting it OD green real quick.
    12.JPG

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      91.8 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      105.4 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      959.2 KB
      Views:
    • 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      File size:
      1,022.9 KB
      Views:
    SGW Gunsmith, rugertoter and clint556 like this.
  2. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Recoil buffer..........was the recoil really that bad?

SGW Gunsmith, gwpercle and RFF like this.

3. MDS

MDS New Member

No, the recoil wasn't bad at all. But I prefer a quieter cycle of operations, so replacing the original metal buffer with a polymer one just seemed like the right thing to do.
    I didn't think to clear it through the Director of 10/22 Sarcasm before applying that simple little mod.

4. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

I hate to admit it ...but I bought the 10/22 in 1974 , put a leather sling on it and a few years ago mounted a Weaver K4 scope ....and have been perfectly happy with it.
    Is something wrong with me.

nickndfl likes this.
  5. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

Not a thing. There is probably a 10/22 setup for anyone who wants one. Talk about a gun that can be modified and it will be a 10/22 or maybe an AR.

SGW Gunsmith and MDS like this.
  6. Steve Blalo

Steve Blalo New Member

Yes! You should change one part at a time until you can reassemble your original rifle. I did and now I have two 10/22s and like them both.

7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I have had as many as 5 of the little rifles at one time. I had to cut back to just 2. I did not modify them much. Most of them had the old school Butler Creek side folders and a plain 4x on the top. Had 30 round mags for them.

Only have 2 of the stainless ones rigged like that now with matching stainless like Simmons scopes on them. The original laminated stocks are unused in their boxes.

MDS likes this.
  8. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

I have built several, I found an original Finger Groove Sporter stock last summer. Then I bought an all steel receiver and an aftermarket aluminum trigger housing. I plan on putting a high polished blued finish on the receiver and barrel.

These things are an addiction, partially because there are so many ways to built one and they are inexpensive enough.

MDS likes this.
  9. MDS

MDS New Member

This is still my only one, and then my KIDD 10/22 I built myself. I thought about selling this one, but I'm pretty attached to it and I guess it's not too complicated to have two 10/22 style rifles. It won't fit in the empty Troy Industries T-22 chassis I have with the Tech Sight front sight mounted, and I'm not interested in getting rid of it.

I like having this one only slightly modded. The Tech sights were a must, and only recently did I even bother upgrading the trigger, hammer, sear, etc. It has it's purpose, and so does the KIDD, which I'm designing an optic mount that I can machine myself, so that I can run it with a C-More sight for speed shooting.. swap between that and the Nikon P22 BDC 150 for silhouette. I love 22 LR though, and in the future I'd like to try out some more. They're so much fun to work on and shoot! Dig that profile photo by the way, though I'm more of a Zapata man myself.

10. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

MDS, nice rifle. I was thinking about ditching the scope on my 10/22, and going with those Tech Sights...what do you think of yours? Was the sight height correct on the rear sight, for the existing front sight, or did you have to replace the front sight as well? Also, did you order the Tech Sight from their website?

Thanks for the information, in advance! ;)

11. MDS

MDS New Member

I ordered the TSR200 and like them a lot. They come as a set, so there's no need to worry about sight height matching. The rear peep sight can hold three polymer inserts of different diameters instead of a dual flip aperture. A bit unorthodox, and I haven't had much reason to switch them out much but they work great. They're easy to switch, but not something I'd like to do in the field.

I'm not sure what power and reticle scope you use, or it's purpose for me to agree about replacing that with these iron sights. They are definitely a clear upgrade from the stock Ruger sights, which I can't stand. The front sight post is slimmer than that of a M16 and gives it a more pinpoint feel when aiming at targets further down range.

rugertoter likes this.
  12. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Okie dokie. Thanks for the info! :)

13. MDS

MDS New Member

No worries! Hope you have fun modding and shooting.

rugertoter likes this.
  14. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Well, I wanted to buy the upgraded 10/22 with the Walnut stock, and sans the barrel band. I don't want a scope on it because I would think it will ruin the aesthetics of the beautiful lines of that rifle. I was thinking going with those peep sights.

15. MDS

MDS New Member

Even these change the aesthetic in their own way, but I've gotten used to it. I admire how Tompson Center managed their sights on the T/CR22, and wish Ruger stepped up long ago in similar fashion. I even like the Magpul stock TC went with, like a one-piece Backpacker stock.
    Sometimes I want the ballast of solid wood to even out the balance of the Ruger tapered barrel, but I just am not sure my rifle would look good dressed in walnut. It seems like it belongs in a simple, utility type stock. Who knows.. the cool thing about these rifles is they lend themselves so easily to change, that you never have to feel that you're missing out. You want a different look or feel, there's an option out there probably already perfect for your needs.

rugertoter likes this.
  16. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Yeah, I like the TC version...very nice .22's.

17. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

I guess I always thought the recoil buffer on these was to pad the bolt from beating the back of the receiver.

I guess I remember hearing complaints that the AR-15 would bruise shoulders. With enough blood thinner, maybe the .22 LR is a risk.

18. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

The Ruger 10/22 rifles, at least to me, sorta beg to be "owner modified" by those who want to personalise these rifles. They are so easy to work on that, like the old commercial states, "even a caveman can do it."
    Tony Kidd is one person who has come up with some terrific modifications to make these rifles much better and even more accurate:
    [​IMG]
    His receiver tang addition is one way I have found to eliminate, what some call "barrel droop" when a 0.920 18-20 inch heavy barrel is attached to the receiver when only using the front action screw. Yes, I know that many folks full bed the length of the barrel into the barrel channel, but then again, many owners want these barrels free floated, so that's where the tang comes in handy. I have found that it does indeed help with accuracy.

For many Ruger 10/22 owners, it's hard to ignore some of the improvement parts that make these rifles much more fun to shoot. My hundred yard KIDD parts rifle that I assembled does very well from my bench at longer distances, and it's great fun to shoot.:
    [​IMG]

19. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Here is one slightly modified too.

20. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

Full Auto is not what I would consider to be a "reasonable" modification to any Ruger 10/22 rifle for most owners budgets.
    Here's a Ruger 10/22 that I set up to specifically shoot "CCI Quiet" .22 rimfire ammunition. This rifle would not cycle the Quiet ammunition due to it not being able to blow the bolt back far enough so that when it came back forward it would not feed another round from the magazine into the chamber. The factory bolt is way too heavy, so I installed the Firefly bolt from Volquartsen:

[​IMG]

With this modified bolt feeding, and firing, is now flawless and with a suppressor on the threaded muzzle, the only sound heard is the bolt hitting the breech face upon bolt return.

Carl Crosby likes this.