Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Depends on what type of shooting your doing. I have lasers on both of my EDC, never know what situation you might be in. But for everyday range shooting...no.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Lasers make sense and are practical on a firearm you will be using for self defense so an EDC or house gun. They allow you to get off hits without having to get a clean sight picture. This is extremely beneficial when in close point shooting, when behind cover, or other awkward shooting position, as well as when you are injured and down to using either strong or weak hand only. Not to mention the benefit received in the dark.

I don't see the point for them on anything that isn't a defense gun though.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only time one would be useful (my opinion) when you would need to quick draw, up close and personal-point blank...otherwise I wouldnt need it nor use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great article. I have used CTC lasers and will continue to. They are especially helpful to me since I had a detached retina in my once dominate right eye. With a CTC I don't have to aim so much as point.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
They do have the intimidation factor if time allows.
My Glock 22 came with one, but when awakened in the middle of the night, I doubt that I would waste any time fumbling with it, so I practice without it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Depends, I think their useless on an LCP but nice on a larger gun

In my opinion they are very useful on a tiny pistol with minimal sights like the LCP. They can be used as quickly as you can point the gun and you have visual confirmation of where it is aimed instantly.

I have them on all my carry guns from LCP, Kahr P380 to full size 1911'S. I can consistently hit on target faster with the laser at fighting distance than with the stock sights.

The biggest plus to me is that I can focus on the threat instead of the front sight. That is a huge advantage in my opinion if the target is moving or trying to kill you.

For targets and long range shooting the front sight focus is great and very accurate. I learned to point shoot from the beginning in case I was ever in a tight situation that required immediate action. The laser just confirms where my shot is going and does it instantly.

Don't think I discount well aimed pistol shooting. I hunt deer with a Ruger .45 Colt revolver and the iron sights. That requires good front sight focus. It doesn't require speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In my opinion they are very useful on a tiny pistol with minimal sights like the LCP. They can be used as quickly as you can point the gun and you have visual confirmation of where it is aimed instantly.

I have them on all my carry guns from LCP, Kahr P380 to full size 1911'S. I can consistently hit on target faster with the laser at fighting distance than with the stock sights.

The biggest plus to me is that I can focus on the threat instead of the front sight. That is a huge advantage in my opinion if the target is moving or trying to kill you.

For targets and long range shooting the front sight focus is great and very accurate. I learned to point shoot from the beginning in case I was ever in a tight situation that required immediate action. The laser just confirms where my shot is going and does it instantly.

Don't think I discount well aimed pistol shooting. I hunt deer with a Ruger .45 Colt revolver and the iron sights. That requires good front sight focus. It doesn't require speed.

I can understand that, my thoughts are if one can not preform a quick draw and fire well more practice is needed. Lasers can be good but it's not good to depend on them, they can go out and Murphy and his law says it will go out when you need it most.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts