Ruger Talk Forums banner

Kydex Holster Making

5K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Naip 
#1 ·
Hey y'all!
Anyone make their own Kydex holsters?
Just recently started making IWB and OWB holsters as well as mag holsters. Soon I hope to tan some leather and make some IWB kydex/leather holsters as well.

#3 ·
Lol! I have a 1/2 hour a day or so.... oh wait! I'm supposed to sleep I think...... nope! Holster making is more fun! [emoji51]
It's been interesting so far.
Purple Rectangle Violet Material property Font

Even got a little girlie colors in there ;)
Needs some tweaking but it's pretty comfy appendix. I've wanted to try appendix but don't want to spend a bunch of money on holsters just to find I can't or don't like it.
Just added this gun to my permit so need a holster. Didn't want to wait 6-8 years to have one made ;). Ya I know it's 6-8 weeks (feels like months) but It doesn't take us even 6 hours to make one.
Just finished a matching mag holster to add to this. Have an OWB in the works for a friend too.
Quality time with my hubby makes it even more fun. :)

Attachments

#17 ·
Some people have minds that work overtime. Double R and Savage Guy are those type of people. Next they will be building innovative mouse traps. That is some fine work gal and you have to be proud. As far as color combinations: do you have a "glow in the dark" florescent green? If I can't find my pistol in the dark at least I can find my pistol then I can be shooting. Also this should work as a deterrent to bad guys. They will say: See dat holster? We ain't gonna mess wid her. Dat kinda holster scares me and she gotta be carrying a cannon......:eek:verreact:We gots to run!!!!!
Good job kiddo!!!!!

Tommy

#18 ·
So, have exactly do you make a kydex holster? I've always wanted to try my hand at it......

#20 ·
Welcome to the R/T mainecowgirl !!

Ask the woman above...DoubleR
[emoji4] hi Shooter

Some people have minds that work overtime. Double R and Savage Guy are those type of people. Next they will be building innovative mouse traps. That is some fine work gal and you have to be proud. As far as color combinations: do you have a "glow in the dark" florescent green? If I can't find my pistol in the dark at least I can find my pistol then I can be shooting. Also this should work as a deterrent to bad guys. They will say: See dat holster? We ain't gonna mess wid her. Dat kinda holster scares me and she gotta be carrying a cannon......:eek:verreact:We gots to run!!!!!
Good job kiddo!!!!!

Tommy
Now that you mention it! Lol! A Better mouse trap.... hmmmm On it! ;)
They do have zombie green and boy is it bright!!!! If they had glow in the dark that's all I'd have ;)

So, have exactly do you make a kydex holster? I've always wanted to try my hand at it......

https://youtu.be/wntntfsrfEQ

I highly recommend this guy/videos. After watching and researching for months this guy is by far the most down to earth and honest. He walks threw EVERYTHING.
Harbor freight is your friend ;)

#23 ·
RR, I watched the video you posted. Looks like there is a lot of equipment involved. What equipment would you say is absolutely necessary?

#25 · (Edited)
RR, I watched the video you posted. Looks like there is a lot of equipment involved. What equipment would you say is absolutely necessary?

Temp gun
Toaster oven
Heat gun
Box cutter to cut the kydex.
We went with the wood (had it laying around), foam (knifekits.com) and harbor freight clamps he talks about in the video.
We use a vise and rivet die/press in the vise.
We already have a dremel tool and grinding/wire wheel. So we put cutting wheels on the dremel to cut large pieces of kydex off the molded holster and the grinder for the edges. Little bit of sand paper to make things soft and rounded.
Off the top of my head that's about it. I'll add if I think of anything else.

#26 · (Edited)
Watching the video above I saw another video on the side that looked like something to try also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muYSfa8CKQE

I keep trying to watch this video but it just crashes my app and closes me out.

Edit: found it on you tube. Good idea I guess. Lol! I'll stick with lighter, thinner more giving kydex. Especially for daily carry options.
Having said that we may have to try it just for fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.