Knives for defending how realistic is it?

Discussion in 'Knife and Blade' started by conservative, Dec 3, 2016.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Came across this on YouTube.
    The running knife attack is shown in regular speed one time at about 1:51 min.
    Shows why you might want (or need) to take evasive action while drawing your gun.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0vy9hhv4M[/ame]

2. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

You better know what you're doing if you get into a knife fight.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Carl Crosby and rugertoter like this.

3. allenr

allenr Member

My four tours in Nam proved that to me. Fortunately I got the needs training in the Corps.

Couple I set observations about the video.

When being charged with a knife wielding assailant do not go backwards because balance dynamics Chang when you do and tripping to the ground is a hazard. You are better off defending in place if you know how to. If not you are better off with lateral movement until you get the opportunity to run. Backing up only allows the assailant's momentum to work against you. If you move lateral to the charge the assailant has to change direction and decrease speed, balance and momentum. Later move and then forward run is your best chance.

If threatened by a knife and you are armed with a gun do not take the time to extend. That is the loss of a second which can be deadly. Just draw, point, and shoot. It is almost impossible to miss the upper body mass at four feet. There is plenty of testing evidence to prove that. Personally I know it is true from using the 1911 in Nam.

I suggest find a place where you can practice that on a man sized target. I have a friend with an outdoor location in the country. It has several natural backstops. We use large sheets of cardboard taped together with a rather unartistic outline of a man drawn on it. It works. You need yo learn how to make a one hand draw and shoot immediately after the draw by pointing at the target without full extension.

You would be amazed at how good you can get at it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    rugertoter likes this.
  4. Donn

Donn Member

You Tube videos on the 21 foot rule are evidence a knife is still an extremely formidable weapon, even in a world of guns. That said, like firearms, if you have an idea of using a knife for SD, get serious training, and know that if you get into an exchange with another knife wielding individual, you will get cut.

5. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

Unless you are James Coburn,in the movies, the Magnificent seven,you'd be in trouble.

6. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

I think that may have been the 7 yard (21 foot) exercise used to train law enforcement personnel. the upshot is that even a handicapped person, starting from that distance can cover it in 2 seconds or less, before even someone who is prepared can effectively react. A friend of mine in his teen years, used to go where the Mexican railroad workers lived, and learned to fight with knives. He told me "If you get into a knife fight, you WILL get cut!" I believed him. He had the scars to prove it.

7. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

I agree, and that is exactly why I carry a pistol! Fighting with a blade, of any kind, is a determined skill set...one which I don't possess.

Carl Crosby likes this.
  8. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Long ago when I first started with the Bureau, I met an Officer that was long overdue for retirement. His face was badly scarred, he was always excessively moody and jumpy. I thought he was a bit on the crazy side, old and moody. I didn’t care to associate with him or learn anything from him. One day I ended up partnering up with him and he shared his story with me. When he was much younger, a homeless man attacked him with a knife. His face, hands and arms were badly cut. He was stabbed multiple times, punched and stomped on once he went down. He thought he was going to die right there.

This Officer told me that when he saw the homeless man with the knife and before he could draw his side arm, the homeless man was on upon him and sliced his face. He went to defend himself and ensued what changed his life forever. He never did draw his side arm and the homeless man was never found.

This stayed with me while I continued my career with the bureau. You never know what can happen, specifically when you are on your own. Our training is that we should be one step above the perpetrator. Today, you see many police officers with a taser, pepper spray instead of the side handle baton. For me, it was a PR-24 and even that was not enough, but was better than nothing. Today, too many people will riot because an officer defended himself on the streets while on duty. In some cases, he uses his side arm. This hurts the officer when criminals and the families of poor innocent criminals are filming and putting it on CNN, but CNN will cut out the part of what led the police to be alerted.

Now imagine yourself as a civilian and encounter a man with a knife. You cannot allow someone to come close while holding a knife. 10 to 12 feet distance is needed in order to draw and fire, forget having aim.

rugertoter likes this.
  9. quirky

quirky Active Member

The myth is the world is flooded with guns, but knives and baseball-bats are universal. Along with acid, pipe bombs and crowbars.

As some here have alluded to, if you ever go up against anyone who truly knows how to use a knife they will carve you up like a Thanksgiving turkey.
    And believe it or not some of the more clever knife fighters come out of prison.

10. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

As far as I'm concerned, if you start giving a cop a hard time, you need to have your *** kicked. There is a thin line between fear and respect, and sometimes, they need to go hand in hand.

The police have a job to do, and the same wienies that cry "police brutality", are the same SOB's that would be the first ones to cut and run, and expect some cop to take care of the problem that they don't have the pills to take care of for themselves.

I have complete respect for law enforcement, and have only ran across on cop who I feel should not have a job that comes with a badge and gun...the vast majority of them are just people who are trying to do a job that most won't, and just want to be able to go about their days at work, and make it home to their families at the end of the day. This is much like the rest of us.

That bum that you were talking about, the one with the knife, hope the piece of crap met up with another person, just a tad quicker than he was with his blade.

11. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

I was always told that a handgun was a last resort weapon, but the truth of it is, that a knife fits that description much better.

rugertoter likes this.
  12. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

A concealed hand gun would be a misdemeanor and a knife over 4" would be a felony. Different laws to every state apply.

13. DParker

DParker Active Member

14. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Knife is a last ditch effort. Try the Jedi Mind Trick first.