Keeping Ammo Dry

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Ernesto, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Finally got me some military surplus ammo boxes with good rubber seals. Is there anything I can put in there to keep it dry? I scowered the house for some of those little packets that keep stuff dry but can't find none.

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I bought these online I believe. Amazon I believe.
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1441388339.783093.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1441388363.922293.jpg
    Got 20 of them for $5. This was some years ago so I'm sure they are a bit more.
    Use for a while then throw on a cookie sheet in the oven @ 150 for 20 min. Once they are dried out again re-use! Never go bad.
    They are about the size of an iPhone. I put them in all the gun cabinets, safes, tackle boxes, ammo, etc.

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

4. Ernesto

Thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I thought they would be sold somewhere but I've never seen them in a store.

5. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Anytime :) I love that they are reusable. ;)
    I originally bought some at a gun show. Think that's how I later got them on Amazon.

6. Ernesto

7. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Very interesting!! Will store that info away Thanks!

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I use a tube sock filled with rice kept in my safe. I have yet to see any rust on my guns in over a year and it sure is high humidity in my area. More like a sauna in the summer.
    You can also use a nylon stocking filled with rice and then tied off.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  9. Ernesto

Well looks like I'm using rice right now too. I went to Walgreens, Ace Hardware, UPS, Safeway and two pet stores with no luck on finding the silica gel kitty litter. sigh....
    I did find the non-toxic kind at the feed store (huge crystals) which is the closest thing I think you'll find to silica gel without actually buying silica gel. It seems kitty cats had some bad juju with the silica gel.
    But after reading up on the non-toxic stuff I hear its made with water (to help make the crystals) sand (which is a source of silica) and something else.
    So for now I have some rice in my ammo cans, in case I have to bug out I'll have some food in there. ;)

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I dunno if it is possible to find a tea ball anymore. They would be ideal for holding the rice.