Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My absolute favorite carry pistols are either the Ruger LCRX or the Kahr. I have 2 Kahrs. The CT380 and the CW45.

What I don't have is a single stack 9, and we'll, I want one. I have been purchasing Rugers exclusively for the past couple of years. I think I will break the trend on the single stack 9. I like everything about the LC9s pro except the grip handle. It would probably be alright if I added a grip sleeve I guess, don't really know. It just feels lacking to me.

The CW9 just feels better in my hand, but all is not well. It's probably 98%, but I just wish the grip was just a tad bit longer. About 1/2 of my pinkie finger hangs off. The magazine extension takes care of that, but I just don't like the idea of resting even part of my finger on the magazine. I like all my fingers on the grip or either the pinkie wrapped under the grip.

The S&W Shield feels good to me, but only with the extended magazine, Again, I just don't like my finger on the magazine. The shield doesn't feel quite right to me with the standard mag in place.

That brings me to the Kahr CT9. Problem is I have never held one in my hands. The CM and CW are common, nobody carries the CT9. I just can not visualise how much bigger it actually is. I keep thinking it's about , actually a bit bigger, than my Ruger American Compact 9mm. Just a bit thinner.

Anyone have or handled CT9? How does it compare? Any others I should be looking at? It has to be American made, I have sworn off the imports. How about the Honor Guard? Me thinks it's just a close copy of the shield.

The CW45, btw, fits me like a glove. Like it was custom made just for me.

Edit to add: I don't like my pinkie finger on the magazine because you have to loosen your trip to get the mag to drop. I know, small potatoes, but it's a thing to me. I just felt someone would ask.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I did a 'compare' of the RAP compact 9 and the CT9 at GrabAGun. the write-ups are not mutually relevant, but the Kahr grip looks a lot longer. Maybe too long to conceal easily.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have never owned a Kahr. I thought they were over priced and had to many negative reviews on them. But my not ever owning one that really is not here nor there. I never cared for a gun that the maker said it should take a 500 round break in. I think break in idea is a bunch of horse pucky. I expect a good gun to shoot flawlessly out of the box new.
I do like the LC9s I bought. It feels good in hand, fairly easy to conceal, has a good trigger action, recoil handling is good, it was only $312 otd.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a 'compare' of the RAP compact 9 and the CT9 at GrabAGun. the write-ups are not mutually relevant, but the Kahr grip looks a lot longer. Maybe too long to conceal easily.
Which is the same conclusion I am coming to. :mad:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
The only kahr 9mm my LGS had on the table was the CT9. I looked at it when shopping for a single stack 9mm. The CT9 has a long grip, much too long to even think about pocket carry. It's nice and thin though so I'm thinking it'd be a good 4 o'clock IWB. Or appendix if you feel comfortable carrying that way. IIRC, I was able to easily get my whole hand around it. It felt really good, I just liked the Lc9s trigger more.

Here's some food for thought on the finger on the magazine thing. I shoot my Lc9s more accurately without the grip extension. Why? Because I can curl my pinkie finger under the magazine and have more control. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never owned a Kahr. I thought they were over priced and had to many negative reviews on them. But my not ever owning one that really is not here nor there. I never cared for a gun that the maker said it should take a 500 round break in. I think break in idea is a bunch of horse pucky. I expect a good gun to shoot flawlessly out of the box new.
I do like the LC9s I bought. It feels good in hand, fairly easy to conceal, has a good trigger action, recoil handling is good, it was only $312 otd.
The Ruger LC9s Pro is $381 OTD at my local gun store, the Kahr CW9 is $376. $312 for the LC9 is a good deal! I can usually save about $20 or so on a purchase by visiting a gun and pawn shop the next town over, but it just seems like too much trouble to get there.

I only have the two Kahr's, and do not know of anyone else who owns one, so I can only speak personally from my experience. I believe that anything mechanical needs a break-in period. Semi automatic, revolver, even a new car! The parts just need to mate. That said I have never had any issues with my two. The 380 has a slide that is pretty hard to rack, but the counter to that is it has extremely soft recoil. The 45 is a bit easier to rack, more gun to grab a hold of. The recoil is very soft on it too to be such a lightweight gun.

I have never really been a big fan of the Ruger Semiautomatic because of the magazine disconnect. Hereis a link to an article that I wrote on the subject. Hope it is ok to post a link to another gun forum here. http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Counter-point-to-In-Defense-of-Magazine-Disconnects.html. I think the "pro" series that Ruger has come out with is the best thing they have done. I snatched up an American Compact and the LCP II as soon as I could.

I really like the LC9s Pro, just wish the grip was maybe just a litter thicker.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
About Ruger and magazine disconnects; Mr SR40c doesn't have one. Near as I can tell from the literature, the SR45 does. Ruger's policy on the matter is unclear to me. The reasons for objecting to its presence are also unclear to me.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
You probably know this but the Ruger lc9s pro has no safety and no mag disconnect which is why I choose it.

On a side note, in what condition do you prefer to carry in?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About Ruger and magazine disconnects; Mr SR40c doesn't have one. Near as I can tell from the literature, the SR45 does. Ruger's policy on the matter is unclear to me. The reasons for objecting to its presence are also unclear to me.
I don't know if you read my link or not, but it pretty much details my thoughts. I honestly believe a magazine disconnect is a safety issue. It adds complexity when there does not need to be, plus I think it gives a false sense of security.

I think another part of me wants my semiautomatic to behave like my revolvers. When they are loaded, and they always are even if they are not, I just want them to work.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only kahr 9mm my LGS had on the table was the CT9. I looked at it when shopping for a single stack 9mm. The CT9 has a long grip, much too long to even think about pocket carry. It's nice and thin though so I'm thinking it'd be a good 4 o'clock IWB. Or appendix if you feel comfortable carrying that way. IIRC, I was able to easily get my whole hand around it. It felt really good, I just liked the Lc9s trigger more.

Here's some food for thought on the finger on the magazine thing. I shoot my Lc9s more accurately without the grip extension. Why? Because I can curl my pinkie finger under the magazine and have more control. Just something to consider.
I think this answers my question. 4 o'clock is where I carry. That's what I want it for. I have the LCP II for pocket carry. As for appendix carry? That makes Wilbur nervous.

Yes, I like to curl my finger under too. But you still have to adjust your grip to drop the magazine.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You probably know this but the Ruger lc9s pro has no safety and no mag disconnect which is why I choose it.

Using the late great Mr Coppers carry option descriptions it would be C-0, since my normal carry guns do not have a safety.

I grew up on 1911's and DA revolvers. I carried the 1911 C-2. I thumb cock them to make ready. I go the same with the revolvers. I like a hammer. DAO is new to me, within the last 5 years or so. But I have grown to like it a lot. But got to have a good trigger.

I really like the triggers on the LCPII and the RAP.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have been shooting the Lc9 and 9s for over three years. All mu magazines have the extension base on them. After several thousand rounds fired I can report that the extended grip does not impair function of the gun.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been shooting the Lc9 and 9s for over three years. All mu magazines have the extension base on them. After several thousand rounds fired I can report that the extended grip does not impair function of the gun.
I would not expect it to hamper the function.

I had the S&W Shield. With the extended magazine you had to loosen your grip or the magazine would not fall free. Your pinkie held the magazine in place. Raise your pinkie and the magazine would drop.

I need to put the grip extension back on the magazine's for the RAP compact. See how it works. I changed out the baseplates before I even shot it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would not expect it to hamper the function.

I had the S&W Shield. With the extended magazine you had to loosen your grip or the magazine would not fall free. Your pinkie held the magazine in place. Raise your pinkie and the magazine would drop.

I need to put the grip extension back on the magazine's for the RAP compact. See how it works. I changed out the baseplates before I even shot it.
You made an interesting point. You are certainly correct that with extensions in place on small guns you have to loosen grip to eject the mag. Think I never gave that any thought and just got used to doing it.

I plink with a M&P 22 compact. It has the grip of a near full size M&P so no need to ease up on the grip to eject the mag. Now that I am aware of the concern, I am starting to get it. I like the free and easy mag drop of my M&P. I might have to get a larger 9.

·
Registered
992 Posts
When I first got my LC9, I used the pinky extensions. The mags would ratchet out of the mag well under recoil. Shooting without the extensions solved the problem and I've never used them since on any gun. They're not worth the extra trouble.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I cut my pistol shooting teeth on the M1911 in the Corps. Carried one as a noncom for over ten years. Loved the feel of it. I then was issued M9 Beretta. Also great feel in the hand. When I retires a bought a Beretta. Arthritis of the hands made me change. After a lot of rental trials I went with the Lc9. I got used to it quickly. Then I went to an S model that I carry every day.

Recently, I bought M&P 22 Compact liking it better than the Ruger SR22. It has a full size grip, and it is fabulous in the hand. So I checked out and test fired their 9 compacts and decided to stay with Ruger. So now I shot the larger grip 22 and smaller grip 9 at the range every week. Fact is that I make that transition within seconds. I think it is the simple that we adjust to what we have if we us it enough.

·
Registered
53 Posts

The Kahr also has no safety and no mag disconnect and...no two piece trigger. I carry a CW40 and love it! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts