Just Wondering how it is going around the US as a whole ... 22LR ammo availability

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by rjtmac, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

Midwayusa also has a surprising assortment in stock, and at competitive prices. Wait for the free shipping offers. Stick the little things you have always wanted into the order, and it will mostly come free.

2. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

A little update;
    Seems to be goin' well here...I went to two of my local big gun stores yesterday, and the shelves were overflowing with .22. I did notice that CCI had 2 new ammos...MINIMAG Target @ 1235 fps, and MINIMAG Varmint HP @1260 fps. New colorful labeling on the 100 round box, but bless me if they didn't look exactly like the "old" MM HP and Round nose!:eek: HMMMMM...It looked as if they raised the price ~$1.00/100.
    Another thing happened, which could have ended badly, although the result, whatever it may have been, would have been the most exciting thing that happened to me all week!
    My Granddaughter was looking at ammo, too!!! I about walked up, put my arm around her, and said; "Hello, Sweetheart!" Hair, height eyes, build...Face...they are both gorgeous, and could have been identical twins! :oops: I didn't do anything impulsive, but told the young woman she was the image of my Granddaughter. She told me a lot of people say she reminds them of someone. Nice young woman, just like mine, who laughed when I told her about it. Some days are definitely more interesting than others!:D

Frontiersman likes this.

3. Hi, it's hit and miss here in South Carolina. I went to Walmart and I was able to purchase 5 boxes of 333 .22 LR Winchester 36 grain copper-plated hollow points that's 1,665 rounds of .22 LR Ammo, I saw some Remington 40 grain Golden Bullets, and the Remington Thunderbolts, some Federal Match 40 grain round nose in the 325 round boxes. But no CCI Ammo other than .22 Magnum. So I made out at $14.00 a box for 5 boxes of 333 Rounds of ammo $70 bucks not a bad trip to Walmart.

4. tsveggie

tsveggie Member

Best price for the quality in northern Indiana was federals 1300+ per at 4.3 cents each

5. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

WOW! This thread was started 6 (SIX) years ago, and here we are now in 2020 with .22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition in short supply in many areas, once again. Too bad you didn't learn squat!
    I have absolutely NO sympathy for those who sat back and expected .22 rimfire ammunition to get back to $0.53 cents for a box of 50, as it was in the 60's.
    Being a die-hard .22 Long Rifle owner and shooter, I will never be anywhere near "out-of-stock" on the ammunition I love to shoot most often. Keep up the whining on pricing, and I'll just keep on shooting, enjoying and laughing:
    [​IMG]
    The cased .22 Long Rifle ammunition doesn't fit in the cupboard. Some losers call this "hoarding", I look at it more as, "being prepared". And when .22 Long Rifle does become more available in the brands I like, guess what?

6. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

What brands do you like? Durning the previous shortage I had three boxes (not well prepared). As more became available I bought just about anything you could find. Now have about 4 to 5 thousand. I will not buy any more Winchester white box or Browning don’t like either one.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  7. tsveggie

tsveggie Member

Yes it’s nice to sit back and enjoy the stampede like sitting at post office near midnight on April 15

so I won’t complain I’ll just enjoy or make double or triple selling surplus ammo

anyone notice price gouging don’t apply to firearms or ammo???

8. SGW Gunsmith

It pays to think ahead, if you enjoy shooting .22 rimfire. KUDOS to you. I'm with you on the Winchester and Browning .22 rimfire. Neither perform well in any of my .22 rimfire guns. Actually, the Browning .22 ammunition is made by Winchester anyway, so that may be why they're not that good.
    I shoot very little bulk pack .22's. Just found too dang many loose bullets that spin in the case very easily. My go to .22 rimfire is CCI Mini-Mags and CCI Standard. My Ruger Mark pistols all like this ammunition.
    At the gunshow I attended yesterday, there were few tables that had much of any .22 rimfire for sale, and dang little centerfire handgun ammunition. I did pick up a few boxes of MagTek .22 rimfire that had two price tags on 'em, $4.00 & $6.00. The guy said he recently added the $6.00 price but would honor the $4.00 price on those I found.

9. SGW Gunsmith

I guess the guy who owns "Cheaper Than Dirt" didn't get that memo. I was told that he's currently selling 50 count boxes of Remington Thunderbolts, the worst crap there is, for $50.00 a box. :eek: It took four firing pin hits for this round to make any noise:

[​IMG]

This is the same "jack-wagon" who was selling bricks of Thunderbolt during the last shortage, around 5 years ago, for $100.00 a 500 count brick.
    I'll never buy anything from that place after that sort of customer "scalping" practice.

10. Ammo "scalping" should be a crime!

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I "over bought" 22LR during the first shortage. I'm all set, giving some away to friends even.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  12. SGW Gunsmith

Some (mostly those who didn't buy when they needed to) will call that "hoarding". I call it thinking ahead and preparing for another, future buying frenzy. They can call it whatever they want, I'm out back on my range shooting my .22 firearms and having a ball.