Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yep. Oldham County. Just joined. Recommendation for concealed carry pistol or revolver?

Welcome aboard.

Be careful when you ask for recommendations here. You could find yourself overwhelmed by the replies. But since you asked I recommend a Ruger LC9s. And I subscribe to this message I have on a tee shirt:

"I am a Marine.
To save time let's just assume I am never wrong."

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Yep. Oldham County. Just joined. Recommendation for concealed carry pistol or revolver?
Here's another suggestion: It depends on the clothes you wear. SR9(or 40)c, LCR, or both.
:cool:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

I also recommend the Lc9s, LCR, SW 442, ruger American compact, the possibilities are endless. How big are you? I'm not a huge guy and I can't carry a huge gun around comfortably. I carry the Lc9s pro (pro=no safety). If you want a revolver, my vote, hands down, goes to the LCR. Best DA revolver trigger ever.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Welcome to Rugertalk Ron,

Thanks for joining us,

I took the liberty to move your first post over to our introduction section,
I'm sure you will get more replies here.

Jim

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Welcome aboard, I recommend the smallest you can conceal and shoot well. Mine is an LC9.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Welcome aboard, I recommend the smallest you can conceal and shoot well. Mine is an LC9.:cool:
Hah. My recommendation is the mostest you can conceal and shoot well.

That c&s is a biggy though.

I don't remember if I have 'officially' welcomed you aboard. Welcome. ;)

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Welcome to the forum from sunny Arizona. As far as picking out a weapon, that depends entirely upon you, what your needs are, what the weapon is going to be used for and if you have had a weapons training at all. You are asking a question that is hard to answer especially since we know little about your experiences. You will find many different opinions and there is no right or wrong answer. Answer the above information, then make a decision. If you have had no experience with weapons before, then I would strongly recommend to attend classes on the different types and styles. You can also rent weapons from a lot of ranges and they have safety officers to assist you.

Tommy

·
Registered
551 Posts
Welcome to the forum from sunny Arizona. As far as picking out a weapon, that depends entirely upon you, what your needs are, what the weapon is going to be used for and if you have had a weapons training at all. You are asking a question that is hard to answer especially since we know little about your experiences. You will find many different opinions and there is no right or wrong answer. Answer the above information, then make a decision. If you have had no experience with weapons before, then I would strongly recommend to attend classes on the different types and styles. You can also rent weapons from a lot of ranges and they have safety officers to assist you.

Tommy

There you go again Tommy being the voice of reason. Great advice.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Welcome to RT. What gun to use for concealed carry depends totally on what works best for the shooter. I bought and sold quite a few guns in my search for a CC gun that fit my wants. For myself I chose the LCR 357 loaded with 38 special +P for carry.

It would be interesting to know just how much experience with guns you have and with what guns. To possibly save your self a lot of money and buyers remorse do like the above said and go to a range that rents guns. Before you go off and do that then it depends if you have any experience with handguns. If not then you might check out the thread here.http://www.rugertalk.com/forum/f4/buying-gun-safety-101-a-3819/#post86322

You will find out the more input you give here at RT then the more you will get as a member of RT.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
:welcome: ron,
No, No, No, You need an SP101 in .357 magnum.
Kidding, The best suggestion I've seen so far was to rent some different guns to find what works for you.
It'll cost a little money but you'll end up with the right gun the First Time out.
Glad to have you on the forum with us.

:GadsdenFlag:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all who replied! My request was rather open ended and should have been more specific. I will be renting at my local indoor range and will seek out private handgun instruction. As an NRA member, I will inquire about their instructors although any competent instructor for a specific firearm should suffice. I am a USAF veteran, conservative and retired University Administrator. My wife and I will take instruction and training together. Great forum!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts