Just emailed Ruger SR45 issue

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by dropkick, Mar 31, 2017.

1. dropkick

dropkick New Member

Thought I'd share this as it is the first time I've ever approached Ruger customer service.

I have an SR45 and the slide doesn't lock after I've fired the last round. From what I can see this is either due to weak magazine springs or a slide lock spring that is too stiff. I suggested that Ruger could send me either of these items and I could make my own repairs. Whether they'll go for this or make me send it in is still up in the air.

Personally I'd like stiffer magazine springs as they feel light to me, I also have some feeding issues that I plan to deal with later, and I think stiffer springs could possibly help with this
    (however I have 7 magazines -I went a little overboard buying extra mags - so they might be more inclined to replacing the single slide lock spring instead).

Will update as more develops.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

If you have seven magazines and the gun doesn't lock back on any of them, I'd take a wild guess and say that it's not a mag issue

3. dropkick

dropkick New Member

I was wondering if they'd mistakenly put weak springs in the SR45 mags, as I can't see the problem being anything other than that or too stiff of a spring on the bolt release.

I did check 3 different SR45's that I ran across at gun shops for this problem and I found that 2 of them had the same problem, so it's not just my gun either.

Might be one of the reasons they dropped the 45 in the SR line.

4. dropkick

dropkick New Member

Yesterday I received an email reply from Ruger:

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
    Your Customer Service Issue # is ******

Mr. [dropkick's real name],
    If you feel comfortable replacing the slide stop spring we can send you a new one. Please email again referencing the above service number, we need to know your mailing address and your citizenship status.

Thank you and have a good day,

Ruger Customer Service

So I emailed them back with my address and assurance that I'm a natural born U.S. citizen. Hopefully I'll get the spring soon and it will solve the problem.

P.S. redacting my service issue number and name from this email made my schizoid paranoiac side happy for a second, before my brighter and more realistic side thought "doing this makes you look paranoid, foolish, and very likely serves no purpose what so ever". However I'd already done it and I'm also lazy, so it gets to stay that way.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Oh come on dropkick, everybody already knows your real name is James anyway... :eek:
    Just ask Tommy, he knows these things. ;)

:usa:

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^^ Kidding. Did I guess correctly?
    That would be Toooo Funny!

:GadsdenFlag:

7. gumpy

gumpy New Member

James sounds like a good Montana name.

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Jimmy it is then. LOL

9. dropkick

dropkick New Member

Got this today:

Your order has been processed, please allow 3-5 business days for delivery. Your confirmation number is 665532.
    Thank you and have a good day,
    Ruger Customer Service

The name is James, James Bond...... but I normally go by David...... James, James David Bond.
    And I like my martinis shaken, not stirred..... and then given to someone else, because I think straight gin tastes like crap, and substituting vodka isn't a whole lot better (a drop of vermouth doesn't count as a mixer).

side note: Just in case you wondered about my knowledge of mixology - I've been a bartender.

10. gumpy

gumpy New Member

re side note
    Was that an undercover job?

11. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

You sure it isn't a case of thumb riding the slide lock? Seven mags can't be wrong. Just so you know I had a SR45 and it was a fine handgun. Also I can't shoot handguns with long slide releases for just that reason.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  12. dropkick

dropkick New Member

Nope, thumb not touching the slide release. It also doesn't lock if you put in an empty mag and rack it by hand.

Looking online it seems that this was a fairly common problem.

My thought on the magazine springs being weak is that somehow they could have ended up with a large batch of bad springs and didn't catch it, or the possibility that they accidentally used springs meant for another slightly smaller magazine. I based this possibility on it being one of only two possibilities that I can see as being the cause of my problem. Plus the SR45 magazine springs don't feeling quit as stiff as those in any of my other double stacked handguns.

However Ruger is sending me a new slide release spring in the next few days and hopefully that will solve this problem.

13. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I brought up the thumb because I had the SR45 and it was a great gun. Had two mags and never a problem. On the other hand I can't shoot a Kar except left handed because of the large slide release. Good luck finding the problem.;)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  14. louchia

louchia Member

Ruger CS is the best. I have had several reasons to contact them. Never a bad experience.
    However, I would suggest contacting CS by phone. They will ask all necessary info and get your parts in the mail that much sooner. If there is any question as to if the problem is one part or the other, they will answer right then.
    Glad to hear you got good service

15. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I can tell you first hand experiences I have had with Ruger customer service since I only live about 2 1/2 hours away from Prescott. Should the spring not be the problem, call Ruger customer service, as you have to re-interate your problem and they will send you a return order with a problem sheet to explain the problem. The first thing that will happen is they will take priority on fixing your pistol and sending it back to you with a repair sheet, and who the repair man or person was. They take pride in making their product and do not want anyone with any type of problems. You will probably have your pistol back within a week. If you have gone through 7 mags, I seriously doubt that you have a mag spring problem and why try to fix it yourself when you can have a certified quality Ruger technician fix it for you. They will guarantee satisfaction. That I will confirm without hesitation!!!!!!

Tommy

16. dropkick

dropkick New Member

Came home tonight to find I'd received the spring in the mail. Excellent customer service.

Unfortunately I unthinkingly left the pistol at my storage unit. I'm tired out, aching, and don't feel like making the trip to retrieve it tonight. So no fixing it tonight.

Also I have an appointment out of town tomorrow and don't know if I'll be able to do it then either. So it might be Friday before I find out if this fix works.

aaaaarghh, I'm not feeling very patient.